Aeris C

Aeris C

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

A new chracter is introduced in this Chapter. Like all the ones before it, this was a standalone story.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 5: Aeris C

 

---

 

 

I sat in Terra’s office looking through a photo album. My parents were vacationing in Europe and Terra took Serenity with her to visit Fin in Little Rock. Mark Anthony had also gone off somewhere with his friends. Fortunately, Katrin offered to stay with me until Mom and Dad got back. I found a picture of my life long friend, Jenna. We had been friends since preschool and did everything together.

 

When both of us fell pregnant at the same time most thought it was odd. Still, we promised to be friends for life. I decided to call her over as we hadn’t talked in a few weeks. W were both 5 months along but Jenna looked further than I did. When I went into the hall the doorbell rang. I opened it and was surprised to see Jenna standing on the other side. “I was just about to call you!” I exclaimed in surprise. “Come on in!”

 

We went in the living room and sat on the couch. “So how’s Junior?” Jenna asked, rubbing my belly.

 

“He’s doing fine.” I replied as I stared at hers. We were both 5 months along and she looked to be either full term of the mother of triplets. “What about you? You look like you’re having twins or more…”

 

“I’m just having one.” she said with a laugh. “The doctor said I’m carrying a lot of fluid, too. It’s nothing serious but it explains why I look 8 months instead of 5.” I put an ear to Jenna’s stomach and heard what sound like a low growl. It was barely audible but I picked it up.

 

“Are you hungry?” I asked her.

 

“No, I just ate.” she replied.

 

“Your stomach said otherwise.” I remarked.

 

“Oh, that’s just the baby.” She replied as she lifted her shirt a bit. I looked and saw what looked like a foot poke out. One of the cooler parts of having a baby, I thought.

 

“Well, I’m going make something for myself.” I said as I got up. “Be right back!” I went into the kitchen and started making a sandwich. When I looked out the window I could see many kinds of birds perched outside the window. I found it odd since it was late fall. Most birds would have long moved away from New England. I shrugged it off and turned to go back in the living room. When I returned, Katrin was there and was talking to Jenna.

 

“I just talked to Fin on the phone.” Katrin told me. “Apparently, he and Gina adopted a pregnant teenager. How strange is that?”

 

“That’s definitely up there.” I remarked with a laugh. “I wonder what Mom and Dad will say?”

 

“I also have tickets to today’s Celtics game.” Katrin added. “There’s four so maybe you can invite Alex, Celes.”

 

“I’ll call him and ask him right now.” I said before picking up the phone. After one ring Alex picked up. He sounded like he was out breath.

 

“Hey, sunshine!” He said. “I was just thinking of you!”

 

“That’s why I called.” I replied, smiling. “My sister has tickets to today’s basketball game and said you can come.”

 

“I’d love to.” He replied. “I’ll meet you there. I also have some good news to tell you but you’ll have to wait to hear it!”

 

“I’ll look forward to seeing you, then!” I said before hanging up.

 

“I guess that’s a yes.” Jenna guessed.

 

“Oh yes!” I exclaimed. “He also has some news to share but wants to tell me in person.”

 

“He’s really into his job.” Katrin said. “Isn’t he a Youth Leader at his church or something like that?”

 

“That’s right.” I replied. “I don’t know where it is but he says it’s been around for Centuries. I wonder what he’s going to tell me?”

 

“You’ll find out at the game.” Jenna replied. “Speaking of which, I’ll go home and change my clothes.”

 

“Come here when you’re ready and I’ll drive us there.” Katrin said as Jenna left. At six o’clock Katrin, Me and Jenna arrived at the TD Bank North Garden, home of the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins. Tonight’s basketball game was against the New York Knicks. Jenna found it funny that Katrin, who was living in New York City, had gotten tickets for tonight’s game. We found Alex waiting in front of the Ticket Master. We went in together and sat near the court. “Are any of your friends from New York going to be here?” I asked Katrin.

 

“I seriously doubt it.” she replied with a laugh. “If it was the Red Sox and Yankees then you can be certain they would.”

 

“Speaking of which, I just bought a Red Sox Season Pass this morning.” Said Alex. “I can bring up to 17 people with it to all home games.”

 

“How did you afford that?” asked Jenna in amazement.

 

“My job gave it to me as a gift to go with my promotion.” He replied.

 

“Is that the good news?” I asked.

 

“Just the first part.” He said before leaning into my ear. “The child is holy.”

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“If you need proof, come to the church after school tomorrow.” he said.

 

“Ok, I guess.” I said warily. A bit nervous about what Alex said, I felt distracted during the game. After the game Jenna noticed the change in my mood.

 

“Are you ok?” she asked. “You haven’t said much tonight.”

 

“I was just thinking about what Alex told me.” I replied. “I probably just need to know more. I’m going to his job tomorrow after school to find out.”

 

“Do you mind if come along?” she asked.

 

“Sure, I don’t think Alex will mind.” I said.

 

“Alright then, I’ll meet you there after school.” she said. After saying goodbye to Alex and Jenna Katrin and I went home. Little did I know, the lives of all four of us would change the next day. When I arrived home to meet up with Jenna I saw a lot of dogs on the lawn. Seeing as we owned no pets I found it strange. All of them were barking at Jenna, who was standing on top of Katrin’s car. Katrin was trying to keep them back with her Flame Lance but they kept coming.

 

“What’s going on here?” I asked Katrin.

 

“These dogs must have a taste for pregnant women.” She remarked. “Celes don’t get any closer!”

When the dogs heard my name they turned around. Seeing me they laid down, becoming as docile as puppies.

 

“Get out of here!” I yelled at them. “Don’t ever bother my sister and friend again!” Immediately they all scattered, much to my surprise.

 

“What was that about?” Jenna asked as she got down from the car. “One minute they’re chasing me here from school and the next they’re nice.”

 

“You’ve got me.” Katrin replied. Suddenly, a bird fell onto the lawn. When Katrin looked she saw that it was dead, it’s neck broken.

 

“What in the world…” I trailed. Suddenly several dozen more fell in the lawn, all dead.

 

“This is starting to scare me!” Jenna exclaimed before getting in the car.

 

“How is this happening?” I asked Katrin.

 

“I don’t know, but I’ll call someone to have this cleaned up.” she replied. “But first I’ll drop you two off.” All three of us were freaked out over what we’d just witnessed. I was no expert but I could feel something supernatural was going on and somehow Jenna was in on it. Maybe Alex could tell me more. When we arrived at the church where Alex worked Jenna and me got out. It was a two-story building with a flat roof. The sanctuary had a skylight that lit up the room when it was sunny. We found Alex in his office. He was surprised to see Jenna had come along.

 

“I hope you don’t mind my bringing her.” I explained. “Something weird happened with us before we came here and we think you might be able to explain.” Alex paused for a moment, deep in thought.

 

“Hmm…if the Elders found out she were here, there could be trouble.” He said. “I have the final say since I am the High Priest, however. Come with me to the library. I have something to tell you.” Now, I had been to the Church many times but the room Alex took us to I’d never seen before. I guessed it was an area only church officials were allowed to enter. He locked the door behind us and closed all the shades. “I’m sorry but I can’t risk anyone knowing you’re here, Jenna.” Alex explained.

 

“Just what is going on?” I asked him. “You know something don’t you? Tell me!”

 

“Alight, but before I do you must both swear that what I tell you is accepted.” He began, looking deep into Jenna’s eyes. “It is the truth and dismissing it can have negative consequences. I have no reason to lie to you.”

 

“In 1870, a young woman named Sarah gave birth to a son. This child however, would have a descendant who would be the mother of the Anti-Christ. We believe you are the mother and the baby you carry will destroy the world. My Religion, once called the Jade Hook is now called The Faith Watchers. Our mission is to see to it that all things foretold in the Book of Revelation come to pass. So far, they have.”

 

“What does this have to do with me?” I asked. “And why do animals follow me everywhere?”

 

“It must be true, then…” Alex trailed.

 

“What is?” I asked.

 

“Your baby is the Son of God.” Alex explained. “It’s been foretold several thousand years ago that someone would give birth to a Holy Child. I am proud to say that I believe that child is yours. The creatures of the world have already acknowledged you and so they will greet you and bring no harm to you.”

 

“But in turn, animals attack me on sight.” Jenna said, putting a hand on her stomach. “Can it be…?”

 

“What is it?” Celes asked.

 

“One of my ancestors was born in a cottage near cape Cod in the 1870s.” Jenna explained. “He never knew his mother and was raised by strangers.”

 

“ My God…” Alex suddenly said as he took out a book. “You ARE a descendant of Sarah! In 1870 some members of the Jade Hook chased Sarah all over New England, their pursuit ending near Barnstable. She was heavy with child and they believed she was pregnant with the Anti-Christ. She disappeared that day. Some say the Devil himself disguised as an Undertaker came to her aid. She died giving birth to a son, who was named Robert. The full details are in this book here.”

 

“That’s the name of my ancestor!” Jenna exclaimed. “This must mean it’s true, then.”

 

“I’m sorry, Jenna.” Alex replied. She started to weep softly.

 

“Alex, isn’t there something you can do?” I asked. “Me and Jenna are best friends. I can’t stand seeing her suffer.”

 

“I’m sorry, but no.” he replied. “I should have killed her when I saw her yesterday knowing what I did. Although I have faith in my church I do have a heart and will not harm her.”

 

“Thank you.” I replied.

 

“The others won’t be so merciful.” He added. “As I said before, if they knew Jenna were here they’ll want to—“

 

“Who’s in this room?” someone suddenly exclaimed. We all froze. There was someone on the other side of the door!

 

“It’s only me.” Alex quickly replied. “I am with someone.”

 

“My apologies, master.” The voice said. Fading footsteps could then be heard.

 

“He’ll be back.” Alex said to us as he thrust the book he held into my hands. “You two had better leave now. If that is who I think it was then he won’t be back alone.”

 

“Who was that?” I asked.

 

“Vargas, head of the council.” he replied. “He has very liberal views. He’d have been high priest if not for the fact he’d spent some time in Jail recently, making his bid void. He controls the Council with a will of iron. He’ll want to know who I was speaking to…”

 

“Ok, we’ll go.” Jenna replied, going to the door. “I’m sorry if I put you in danger.”

 

“Believe me, that is the least of my worries.” He said before walking out the room. Me and Jenna left the building with answers to the questions but also with a sense of loss. One day our children would fight each other and they could be pulled in just for being the mother. Then I remembered the book Alex gave me. On closer inspection, I realized he'd just written it and began to read it out loud:

 

Prologue

 

April 16, 1870

 

There she is! Get her!”

 

Don’t let her escape!”

 

A young woman ran through a forest in the hopes of eluding her pursuers. It is raining heavily but this does not slow her down. She just had to get away from them, no matter what. When she crossed the bridge from Cape Cod onto mainland she stopped to catch her breath and looked back.

 

No sign of them. Good. She heaved a sigh of relief and leaned against a tree, her belly heavy with child. The people chasing her wanted to kill her child. They were members of a cult known as the Jade Hook. It was over a thousand years old and they considered themselves God’s appointed overseers of events foretold in the Bible. As such, they would do whatever was necessary to ensure that all prophecies would be fulfilled, no matter who got in the way. Apparently their latest claim was the expected appearance of Christ incarnated and the Anti-Christ incarnated.

 

When her husband died during the Civil War she was left alone for 5 years with no children. When she discovered she was pregnant a few months ago she thought God had blessed her with a child in the wake of her husband’s untimely death. The Jade Hook investigated her story and claimed she was carrying the Anti-Christ in her womb.

 

She’d been running from the Cult for 5 months all over New England and was very tired now. The baby within her kicked and she rubbed her belly to quiet it. “Calm down, my child.” She cooed. “We’ll be safe soon.”

 

Look, across the bridge!”

 

The woman looked up and saw the mob with torches and weapons about to cross. She was exhausted and knew she could not get away so quickly. If they got to her it would be over. She untied the rope bridge and let it fall into the water. If they wanted her, they would have to cross another bridge 5 miles to the north.

 

As she turned to go, she felt a sharp pain coming from her stomach. Looking down she saw a strange purple aura surrounding her. Then a voice spoke.

 

The time is near.” It said. “This child must be kept alive.”

 

Who’s there?” She asked.

 

Fear not Sarah,” Said the voice “I mean you no harm.” The light swirled from her and took on the form of a man. He wore the clothing of an Undertaker and his long black hair was matted to his face. In his hand was a scythe.

 

What do you want with me?” She asked.

 

What you and I both want is no harm to befall the child. My name is Lucifer, or as you humans call me, The Devil and Satan.”

 

What do you want from me?” She asked again, putting a protective hand over her stomach.

 

Dear girl, I want to help you.” He replied. “The child you carry is mine and it must be protected at all costs. I came here personally to oversee the birth. Come with me, we haven’t much time.” He led her to a cottage a bit further into the woods. It looked as if the Devil had prepared for her arrival for some time. Upon entering the house the pains came. She delivered a son, whom she named Robert. Having named it, she died.

 

A few days later, some people came to the house to the sound of a crying infant. They found young Sarah dead, her child still in her arms. They buried her, took the child and raised it as one of their own.

In time Robert grew up, married and had children. One of those children was a girl named Cassandra. She grew up, married and had a son named Nicholas. Nicholas married and named the first child born, a girl Jenna.

 

Throughout this time, The Jade Hook searched furiously for the woman who’d escaped their reach. They eventually learned she died giving birth to a son and swore to destroy him before he could destroy the world. 6 generations have passed since this pledge was made. The Jade Hook chose Alex Garcia, aged 17 as the new leader.

 

With having failed 6 tries in a row they need a success badly. With new reports that the promised Holy Child would be born soon, they search to find him before the forces of darkness destroy it...

 

 

“No matter what happens, I want us to stay friends.” I said when we reached Jenna’s house.

 

“I do too, Celes.” She replied. “Destiny wants us to hate each other but I just can’t do that…”

 

“Whatever comes of this, we face it together.” I said as we held hands. “I care about you too much to let anyone try to hurt you.” After saying goodbye, I turned and walked home.

 

-

 

Soon after she left, a purple haze rose up behind me. It took on the form of a man who looked like a 19th century Undertaker. In his hand was a Scythe.

 

Did you tell her anything?” the figure asked.

 

“No.” I replied.

 

Good, it’s best she doesn’t know.” said the figure.

 

“This is the first time I’ve ever lied to her.” I remarked. “Why must things be like this?”

 

I know it’s hard but it’s for the best.” The figure replied. “Why Jenna, you remind me so much of Sarah when I rescued her from the Jade Hook. Like her, only trusting me can keep you alive. Remember that.”

 

“I will, Lucifer.” I said. “I am not one to interfere with fate. If necessary I will kill Celes.”

 

---

 

When I got home I told Katrin everything I just learned from Alex. She was also surprised but understood. “Mom is gonna freak out when she finds out you’re holy.” She teased.

 

“I don’t feel any different.” I replied flatly.

 

“It’s ok.” Katrin replied with a laugh. “Just go and get some sleep. Tomorrow, we can figure what to do next.” At that moment the doorbell rang. When Katrin got the door she was looking at someone who looked almost exactly like she did at my age.

 

“Have we met…?” she asked the stranger.

 

“Not that I know of.” The girl replied. “In fact, I don’t even know why I’m letting you see me as I’m here to see Celes.”

 

“Who is it?” I asked.

 

“Someone who looks like me.” Katrin replied as she let the stranger in.

 

“I’m also someone you know—just not yet.” the stranger added.

 

“Oh, really?” I remarked. “Then how exactly do I know you?”

 

“My name is Aeris Christ.” She said. “My father is Jesus and I’m also your daughter.” I felt the baby inside me kick, as if to confirm what the stranger was saying. As if sensing it, Aeris just smiled.

 

“Why are you here?” Katrin asked her.

 

“I haven’t been born yet so I am allowed to exist in this world...as an angel” She stated. “I was asked to come and protect you from the forces of evil for a few weeks. There’s a catch to this divine protection, however. If either of you or Jenna tells anyone about me, I will no longer be able to help you. Also, only you three as well as Alex Garcia will be able to see me.”

 

“Why Jenna?” I asked.

 

“The child she carries is an agent of the devil.” Aeris replied. “He has visited her more than once, giving her the same conditions I gave you. It won’t surprise me if Lucifer knows I’m here…”

 

“No one else will know.” Katrin replied. “You have our word.”

 

“Take these weapons.” Aeris replied as Katrin's Flame Lance and my Lunar Blade materialized in our hands. “Trouble comes…” Katrin peeked out the door and saw three sport utility vehicles drive up to the edge of the family property. The windows rolled down and several firearms appeared in them.

 

“That would be our signal to get down.” Katrin said before kicking the door shut. The three of us then dove into the living room. In the next moment the door and windows were shot to pieces. Hearing approaching footsteps, we knew that someone wanted to assassinate us.

 

“We’ve got to fight them!” Aeris exclaimed. She loaded the Longbow she was holding and started shooting. He accuracy was perfect and every arrow found its mark. Within minutes the would-be assassins were all dead. Sirens could be heard, signaling the arrival of the authorities and we heaved a sign of relief.

 

“They always come AFTER the action is over…” Katrin commented. After explaining what happened over and over again to the police they packed up and left. We'd have to wait in line to have our case investigated, it seemed.

 

“I think we should check on Jenna.” I said. “If some people tried to kill me then maybe someone will be out to kill her, too!” We went a few blocks to Jenna’s house. When we arrived it was empty but we could hear something going on in the backyard. We entered the yard in time to see Jenna tied to a tree. She looked like she’d been tortured. A quick look around showed the people who did it were still there.

 

“What’s going on here?!” Katrin demanded.

 

“Don’t mind us at all, miss.” One of them said. “We’re licensed and merely doing our job.”

 

“That’s my friend you’ve got there!” I exclaimed as I unsheathed my sword. “All of you back off!” At this a powerful light blinded the bounty hunters. Realizing who I was, they all fell back immediately.

 

“It’s the holy mother!” One of them exclaimed. “Best do as she says…”

 

“What?” Katrin questioned.

 

“Apparently they know of your sister.” Aeris explained.

 

“No, they’re just members of the Faith Watchers.” I finished. “This must mean that…”

 

“Thank God I’m not too late.” Everyone turned and saw Alex come running from the street. He looked completely exhausted.

 

“Did you order this?” I asked him.

 

“No…I came here…to stop it…” He managed to say as he gasped for air.

 

“I was right in my suspicions of you, High Priest.” said one of the Faith Watchers.

 

“Vargas, I thought it was agreed we’d leave this one to the heavenly host.” Alex said to the elderly man. “Unlike what happened in 1870, there is real danger if we interfere.”

 

“No, the danger is letting this woman bear her child.” He replied sharply.” You may be High Priest but I control the council. We are in full support of this execution.”

 

“So long as I live, not as High Priest but as a human being I cannot and will not allow this.” Alex replied as he began to glow. “I warn you old man: I will strike you down where you stand if need be.”

 

“You know, letting him kill her might save this world.” Aeris remarked. Alex turned and noticed Aeris for the first time.

 

“How can you say that?” I asked her. “What if the situation were reversed?”

 

“I know she’s your friend but I’m only speaking with logic.” Aeris replied.

 

“And my logic is not letting an innocent life die like this!” I spat. I went over to my friend and cut her loose, much to the dismay of everyone present.

 

“Celes, is that you…?” she trailed as I helped her sit down.

 

“Yes, I’m here.” I said. “I’m going to get you out of here!”

 

“I’m so sorry…” she whispered.

 

“Sorry for what?” I asked.

 

“Celes, look out!” Katrin exclaimed. I turned in time to see a dagger flying right at me. I rolled out of the way just in time, the blade missing me entirely. I looked up and was shocked at who’d thrown it.

 

“Now look what you’ve made me do!” exclaimed Vargas. “I was going to get a clean hit!”

 

“You manic! You almost killed my sister!” Katrin screamed at him as she readied her Lance.

 

That was the point, you fool!” Vargas said, this time using a different voice.

 

“Who are you?” Alex asked, thrusting his staff in the man’s face. “Or to be more direct, who sent you?”

 

Vargas was right—you always were a cautious man.” The man said before changing form. When the transformation was complete, we were looking at a man dressed in black clothing wielding a scythe.

 

“Lucifer…” Aeris whispered.

 

“I can’t believe the Prince of Darkness was in my midst all this time.” Alex said. “How long have you been doing this? Where is my friend?!”

 

Your friend is no more.” Lucifer replied. “It was his own lust for power that did him in. I merely…did him a favor by killing him and learned much of the movement that sought to wipe out my seed.”

 

“I will destroy you!” Alex roared. “In the name of all that is holy and good, I shall purge you of this world!”

 

Fool!” He shot back. “I own this world, or have you forgotten? Jehovah-God banished me to this realm and I am free to twist all its inhabitants as I please. Nothing on this entire planet can defeat me! With a single thought I can easily end your life!”

 

“Death will bring death, you lout!” Aeris cried, drawing her sword. “Michael gave me this holy blade to drive you back! So long as I live I won’t allow you to harm Celes!”

 

That’s mighty daring of the Archangel to entrust the Heaven Saber to you.” Lucifer replied, readying his Scythe. “Your inexperience with it shall be your demise!” He raised his weapon to strike but Aeris parried his attack. He drew back but Aeris struck him in the shoulder, surprising him. “I see he has trained you in its use.” He said after inspecting his wound. “This is nothing, however. You are no match for me. When you least expect it, I will crush you and the one you swore to protect! Come, Jenna we’re leaving.”

 

“What?!” I exclaimed. “You’re GOING with him--?”

 

“Listen to what I say and listen well.” Jenna said as she stood to her feet. “I knew we would one day become enemies my entire life. The only reason I did not say anything to you about it before was because for one you didn’t know and you are my best friend.”

 

“Then come with me.” I suggested. “I've no wish to fight you.”

 

“No.” She replied. “You now know the truth. The next time we meet, it will be as enemies. I will not hesitate to kill you if I must, either. Goodbye, Celes.” I could only watch, dumbstruck as Jenna left the yard with the Devil. It seemed as if my whole world was just flipped upside-down. Katrin, Aeris and Alex came to my side.

 

“I’m sorry.” Alex said. “I didn’t know either.”

 

“Master, what do you have us to do?” Alex turned and saw the rest his people still in the yard. They’d stayed silent during the whole thing. He smiled.

 

“Report the incident to Rome and Jerusalem.” He replied. “The Pope would be most interested in being made known of this. Spread word to the rest of our brethren around the world as well. It must be made known that a prophecy is about to be fulfilled.”

 

“Right away, master!” the man said, directing everyone else out of the yard.

 

“As for you, Celes…” Alex said as he looked at me. “You are now in very real danger. We must get you to a safe place—at least until the baby is born. Come with me back to the Sanctuary. Now that Lucifer has revealed himself he may not enter it.”

 

“Sounds good.” I said. “But what of my family…?”

 

“I’ll call Fin, Terra, Mom and Dad.” Katrin said. “I wish I knew where Mark Anthony were. After I do that I’ll meet you there.”

 

“Understood.” Alex replied. “Let’s go, Aeris. My girlfriend’s life is in your hands. No harm may befall her at any cost. I am human and can only do so much.”

 

“You have nothing to worry about.” She said. “I know all too well what will happen if I fail in my mission…” I sat in Alex’s office the next week wondering what would happen next. My best friend was now my sworn enemy and I’d barely survived a run-in with the Devil himself. The Priests and Bishops of the Church could only protect me so long as I remained in the building. My Angelic Bodyguard, Aeris walked me there from Med School and anywhere else I had to go. Of course, I didn’t like it but without the protection I could be killed. Finally, I'd had enough of it.

 

“I can’t spend the next 4 months living like this!” I exclaimed one day. “I feel like I’m in prison or something!”

 

“Be that as it may, I cannot allow harm to you.” Aeris replied. “If you die before giving birth, I won’t be born, history is forever changed and Earth will be lost to the forces of darkness forever.”

 

“I’ve no doubt Lucifer is biding his time right now,” Alex remarked. “He’s just waiting for the right moment to strike.” Suddenly, two Elders burst into the office. Aeris almost unsheathed her sword in reaction but stopped when she saw them.

 

“Father Garcia, there’s a situation that requires your immediate attention!” they exclaimed.

 

“I see.” He replied, grabbing his staff and following the men out. They nearly ran into Katrin, who’d just come in.

 

“What’s that all about?” I asked her.

 

“A strange mist has descended upon the city.” She replied. “Those who don’t follow any sort of faith become insane. The possessed individuals are wreaking havoc on the rest of the city. The entire church has been dispatched to handle this but I don’t think you should stay here any longer.”

 

“I agree,” Aeris replied. “Let’s go.” We hurried outside in time to see Alex treating several denizens simultaneously. We pushed through the crowd and into Katrin’s car. She drove off and headed for the Cape Cod. From there we’d catch a boat to the Vineyard. Upon arriving to the docks in Barnstable we’d just missed the last ferry. It seemed almost as if we’d purposely been left behind.

 

“That was the last boat of the day.” said Katrin after reading a sign. “We’ll have to wait until morning for the next one.”

 

“Don’t worry—you won’t live long enough to worry about that!” a new voice suddenly exclaimed. We turned and saw Jenna standing opposite us along with several demons. They were armed for a combat but it looked more like a slaughter with the number difference alone.

 

“Our backs are to the bay.” I said. “What are we to do?”

 

“What hell kind of question is that?” Katrin asked me as she took out her Flame Lance. “We’re going to fight and win or die trying!”

 

“Die trying you will.” said Jenna before turning to her underlings. “You may do what you please with Aeris and Katrin but leave Celes to me!” Katrin shot fire from her Lance, taking out a few of the demons. Aeris went old school with her sword and cut several demons to pieces.

 

“If there’s no avoiding this then I’ll defeat you!” I said as I unsheathed my Lunar Blade and entered a fighting stance. “En Garde!”

 

“You haven’t a chance against me!” Jenna exclaimed. We then crossed blades in battle for the first time. After a few exchanges I realized Jenna was very skilled in armed combat. I’d only had a few days training when I was at the Church yet somehow I managed to keep up with Jenna’s quick and precise movements. After an hour, neither of us could land a decisive blow. By now, Aeris and Katrin had since defeated the demons. “It seems you’ve somehow reached my skill level in a short time.” Jenna remarked. “I can see that going on now would end in a stalemate. We’ll finish this later at a more appropriate time.”

 

Before Aeris could stop her, Jenna disappeared. Me and Katrin could only watch, dumbfounded. “I can’t believe I’m saying this but we’re fighting to the death the next time we meet.” I said. “I still call her a friend despite the current circumstances but I will do what I must to protect my child.”

 

”We should get going.” Katrin suggested. “I found a boat we can take to Nantucket during the fighting. Let’s go.” We got in the small sailboat and crossed the bay to Nantucket Island. Katrin bought a hotel room and there we stayed, not knowing when the agents of darkness would next strike.

 

“You know, you still haven’t told me much about yourself,” I said to Aeris one evening. “You’ve sworn to protect me but I know so little about you.”

 

“I already told you--I’m your daughter.” Aeris replied. “I’m here to make sure you live to give birth.”

 

“Is that the only reason?” I asked. “Or is there...something more you’re not telling me?”

 

“Of course there is.” She replied. “There is much that I wish I could tell you but I just can’t. Please try to understand that I am only doing so to protect you. When the time is right I’ll tell you more.”

 

“I wish Alex were here.” I said as I rubbed my belly. “I admit he was very immature before he became High Priest. Since then he’s really improved as a person, leader and future husband and father. He is your real father, you know.”

 

“I know,” Aeris replied. “I’m sure I’ll get to know him better when I’m born.”

 

“You know, it’s never too early to start,” said a voice from outside. When Katrin went to see who it was she was surprised to see it was Alex!

 

“How did you find us?” She asked him. “Were you followed?”

 

“I’m alone.” He replied. “Someone near the docks said they saw two young women matching your descriptions cross the bay in a boat. When I got here, this was the first place I looked. Looks like I was lucky.”

 

“You have no idea.” I as I threw my arms around him. “I’ve missed you since we left Boston.”

 

“And we have to go back.” Alex replied. “Me and the Elders have cleansed the City of Demons and rainwater washed away the dark mist.”

 

“That’s a relief,” said Katrin. “But we may run into Jenna again on our travels…”

 

“Not after what came to the Sanctuary last week,” Alex remarked with a mysterious smile. “It’s extremely important that when we get back, you not tell anyone what you see, including your family.”

 

“Alex, what’s going on?” I asked with concern. Aeris shot him a look that seemed to say they both knew what was going on as well.

 

“You’ll see when we get there, Celes.” He replied. A helicopter owned by the Faith Watchers arrived the next morning to take us back to the city. It landed on the roof of the church and we were escorted inside. Alex led us to the room where he spoke to Me and Jenna many weeks ago. Waiting inside in front of a desk was a young couple. The woman, who was heavy with child, was in the early stages of childbirth.

 

“Celes and Katrin, meet Sarah and Robert Reed.” Alex introduced. “As you can see, you’re not the only one with a baby coming. Now that you’re all here, there’s something I must tell you.”

 

“Alex, who are they?” I asked.

 

“Sarah is about to give birth to the Holy Child.” Alex replied.

 

“How is that possible?” Asked Katrin. “We thought it was only my sister…”

 

“I think I should explain.” Aeris cut in. “Celes—I mean mom—I was sent here to protect you from harm. I knew when I came here you were not the chosen one. To protect the true chosen couple and because you were in immediate danger I was asked to protect you until the holy child’s birth.”

 

“Does Jenna know?” I asked.

 

“I don’t think so.” Alex replied. “There’s been no sign of her or the Devil and I think they may still be looking for you. I’m sorry Celes but right now my mission is to make sure Sarah and Robert are kept safe. I can no longer guarantee your continued safety with this new development.”

 

“We’ll be fine.” said Aeris. “I can’t go dying before I’m born! I think we should get out of here and divert Jenna's attention from this building. It should buy you some time.”

 

“I agree.” Katrin said with a nod. “I saw my car outside still and we can make it to New Hampshire with the gas I left in it!” We ran to the parking lot only to find Jenna waiting for us at Katrin’s car. We were shocked and very worried—did she already know what we had only just found out?

 

“My dear old friend, you should not have come back here.” She said as she walked over to us. “Lucifer was right in predicting your return. All I had to do was wait.”

 

“Stand aside, Jenna.” I said as I unsheathed my sword. “You will not stop us!”

 

“Relax, I’m not here to fight you,” Jenna replied rather calmly. “I’m here to kill the true Holy Child personally. Lucifer would’ve liked to do it himself but right now he is busy overseeing the birth of the true Anti-Christ.”

 

“I can’t let you do that.” I said as I held my ground. “I don’t know what The Devil has been telling you but what you’re doing is wrong. We may not be the ones fated to change the world but I will not stand by and let you cheat the world out of hope.”

 

“That’s fine by me,” Jenna replied, taking out what looked like the Devil’s Scythe. “This weapon I’m holding is called the Chaos Scythe. It is a powerful weapon that can even kill Angels. If you can take it from me in 5 moves or less, I’ll let you live.”

 

“Don’t forget you are nearly six months pregnant.” Katrin warned. “Both of you, actually. If you die then your baby dies, too.”

 

“I have no intention of dying,” I replied as I took Aeris’ Heaven Saber.

 

“That, and won’t forgive you if you do.” Aeris remarked. Jenna made the first move, much to my surprise. I sidestepped and with one motion, knocked the Scythe from her grip and at the same time grabbed it and held the weapon up to Jenna’s face.

 

“All that in one.” I said. “Don’t move or I’ll finish you.”

 

“You might as well do it now.” Jenna replied. “All of our plans have been ruined! This was supposed to be the start of a new age for the world…” I beam of light suddenly shot down at the church, illuminating it. We all knew that could only mean one thing.

 

“Celes, I think we should go back inside!” Katrin exclaimed.

 

“I think we should also find the Anti-Christ.” I replied and then added, “And when she is able to, Jenna will tell us.” Aeris led everyone back inside the sanctuary, where the light was brightest. The cries of a newborn filled the air. Alex stood at the front of the room, followed by the Elders. The couple we’d seen only minutes ago sat at a bed set up in the Sanctuary.

 

“You’ve come in time to behold the blessed messiah.” Said Alex. “For seven generations we’ve waited for this moment and now I am privileged to witness it myself…there’s just no words that can be used to explain the feeling!”

 

“I feel the same.” I said as I turned to Jenna. “I don’t see why anyone would want to destroy something this precious. Now Jenna, what I need for you to do is tell us where the Anti-Christ is. It is a matter of world security.”

 

“As you just said, there’s no need to destroy an innocent life.” Jenna replied. “Besides…telling you Lucifer is in the vacant building across the street is a waste of time.”

 

“The difference between this child and the one about to be cleansed from the earth is it came from God.” Said Aeris as I handed her the Heaven Saber. “Now, I release you from the forces of evil!” There was a flash of light and then Jenna went quiet.

 

“Is she dead?” asked Katrin.

 

“No, I just drove out the demons that possessed here and her child.” Aeris replied. “She’ll be fine but when she wakes up she will have no memory of everything that happened to her.” Katrin offered to wait at the church with Jenna while Me and Aeris went to complete the last part of our mission. Alas, when we arrived the birth had already taken place. We found the newborn in the arms of its mother, who was dead. Apparently she died giving birth.

 

“He’s still here,” Aeris remarked as she took the child from its dead mother’s arms. “Come, let’s go.” When I opened the door I was surprised to see the Charlestown Shipyard on the other side of the door.

 

“How did you do that?” I asked Aeris.

 

“I’ll never tell.” She replied with a laugh. With one swing she threw the infant far into the harbor. It hit the water and sank to the bottom. The spot where the child landed bubbled furiously and foamed, turning a crimson red. After awhile it subsided.

 

“There’s something I still don’t get.” I said as and the two of us started back to the sanctuary. “What made Jenna believe at first that she was the mother of the anti-Christ and how long did you and Alex know of the true Holy Child?”

 

“The Devil is very crafty.” Said Aeris. “Although Jenna is a descendant of Sarah, she herself was not the one fated to give birth to The Damned. Knowing this, Lucifer used her to break up your friendship with her and spill innocent blood.”

 

“That’s where you come in.” I added. “If it weren’t for you I’d probably be dead by now.”

 

“Me and Alex knew of the true Holy Child about a year ago.” Aeris continued. “Shortly before I arrived of the Heavenly Host were made aware of Lucifer’s motives concerning Jenna. I was asked to protect you until the issue was fully resolved and make sure no harm came to you. I came to Alex first and told him to make you believe it was you long enough for the real Holy Mother to be found. Fortunately, everything went as planned.”

 

“The system works, I see…” I said with a laugh. “I am SO going to miss this quality time with you.”

 

“I doubt I’ll remember when I’m old enough, either.” Aeris remarked. “But let me give you something to remember me by.” I looked in surprise as translucent wings sprouted from my back. I knew Mom, Dad, Katrin and Fin had this same kind of power and now I did, too. When we returned, Jenna was just starting to wake up. As Aeris said, she had no memory of everything that happened. Katrin quickly made up a cover story to explain everything. It was better she not know the truth.

 

“We’ll do everything we can to protect the child.” said Alex as we prepared to go home. “And once they are in a safe location, I promise I will give you all the attention you deserve, Celes.”

 

“I was wondering when you’d say that.” I said with a laugh. “I’ll be waiting!” Aeris saw us back to our house but from there I knew she couldn’t stay any longer.

 

“It’s about time I go.” She said. “My mission is complete and I need to head back.”

 

“We’ll be seeing you in a few months, then.” I replied with a smile. “For some reason I know I won’t miss you!” With that, Aeris disappeared into the skies.

 

“You know, there’s something that needs to be worked out.” Said Katrin after Aeris had left. “Jenna’s parents are dead and she’s got no where to go. Do you think mom and dad would mind if we let her stay here for awhile?”

 

“Somehow I know that wouldn’t work out.” We heard Mark Anthony say as he came outside.

 

“How did you get here?” Asked Terra, who just came out of a taxi from the Airport.

 

“The Internet.” He replied with a grin. “It’s the fastest way.”

 

“How was your trip?” Katrin asked Terra as she took Serenity out of the taxi.

 

“Everything went fine.” She replied. “In fact, they adopted a…baby.”

 

“That’s great!” I exclaimed. “I’m relieved to hear I’m going to be someone’s aunt before someone’s mother.” In the next moment, a descending helicopter was heard. Everyone looked up as a Black Hawk Helicopter landed in the front yard. Mom, Dad, Tom Ado and a little girl came out before it lifted off again.

 

“Looks like the gang’s all here.” said Dad once the Helicopter was gone. “Talk about a surprise!”

 

“The only ones missing are Fin and Gina...” I remarked as I scammed the yard.

 

“Don’t bet on it.” said Mark Anthony. “They came with me from Little Rock.” At that moment, Fin and Gina both came out of the house. They were both surprised with the number of people in the front yard.

 

“Is it me or did our family get bigger?” asked Fin as he looked around.

 

“You have no idea.” Mom replied with a smile. “Now who wants to go first?”

 

“I think I should.” said Katrin. “Long story short, Jenna’s parents were killed in a hold-up and I have filed the necessary paperwork to adopt her. I’m in the process of buying my own place in Manhattan and could use the company.”

 

“That’s so…generous…” Terra remarked. “I’m so happy for you.”

 

“Everyone meet Angel.” said Mom, gesturing to the little girl with blue eyes and white hair. “She was an orphan in Asia and we decided to give her a home.”

 

“Cool, a new sister!” I exclaimed. “And we still have the possibility of another one, too!”

 

“As some of you may have heard, me and Gina have a new addition.” said Fin as he passed around the picture of a baby boy. “Meet Ted Toss III.” He was born in Little Rock 2 weeks ago. His mother, who we also adopted is inside.”

 

“I never thought you had it in you.” said Katrin after giving her twin brother a hug.

 

“Wait, I’m not done yet.” He said with a grin. “Gina, maybe you should tell them the best part.”

 

“We’re going to have a baby.” She said. “I'm pregnant.”

 

“One Great-Grandchild and three grandchildren just like that,” Dad said thoughtfully. “You can definitely say I have bragging rights!”

 

“And more coming.” said Ann. “This holiday season will definitely be one for the ages…”

 

“Yes, but what I'd really like to know is Angel's story.” said Katrin. “We've all shared ours already so...”

 

“Sorry but she doesn't speak English.” Mom cut in. “But in time she will. She and I have both been through a lot. In meeting her, I had to face my past...”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5