Judgement Call

Judgement Call

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

This Chapter features the chracter introduced in the previous chapter.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 4: Judgement Call

 

---

 

Me and my new friend sat in Little Rock’s only West Indian Restaurant talking about many things. I just bumped into a young pregnant woman named Hannah on the street a short time ago. When she mentioned to me she was on her own I decided to get her something to eat and hear her story. “This is the nicest anyone has ever been to me.” She said as we sat in the restaurant.

 

“Oh, think nothing of it.” I replied. “You just remind me of someone is all.” My sister, Celes came to mind. Not that I was going to disclose to someone I’d just gotten acquainted with my 16 year old kid sister was pregnant. That wouldn’t help any and might upset the frightened girl. “So, how old are you?”

 

“I just turned 21 a few weeks back.” She replied. “I was treated to a free dinner by the manager of a restaurant. When I told him it was my birthday he said I can get a free meal once a day after hours until I have my baby.”

 

“Are you staying anywhere?” I asked as I studied her. “You definitely have the look of a traveler.”

 

“The local homeless shelter.” She replied. “I…don’t really have anywhere to go.” I thought for a moment. Surely Gina wouldn’t object to my bringing her to stay with them for a little bit. At least, she could stay until she had her baby.

 

“When was the last time you ate a thanksgiving meal?” I asked her.

 

“More than 3 years.” she replied. “My family abandoned me.”

 

“That is a long time!” I exclaimed. “How would you like to have one with my family? You’re more than welcome.”

 

“Do you really mean it?” she asked in surprise.

 

“Of course.” I replied. “If you come with me, I can introduce you.”

 

“Then I’ll do it!” she said happily. “Thank you so much!” I checked my watch and noticed it was getting a bit late. Terra and Serenity were in town for Thanksgiving and Gina would be home soon. They’d all want to know where I was since I’d usually be home so much earlier.

 

“Alright, then let’s go.” I said, motioning to my car outside. It was a bit cold so I turned on the heating system. I’d normally walk home from work but since I ran some errands I drove. As we drove across the Bridge into North Little Rock I told Hannah about my family and what I did for a living. She was impressed.

 

“I applied to do City Year in Boston a few years ago.” She remarked. “Then I was turned down because of budget cuts.”

 

“I remember that.” I remarked. “My father was the Recruitment Director that year. He personally called those who wouldn’t be able to serve to tell them the news. I heard one person was so distraught she killed her mother…”

 

“Is that so?” Hannah remarked, clearly shaken. “That person must’ve been one disturbed individual...” When we arrived, I noticed Gina’s car parked in the driveway. It seemed she’d gotten off work a bit early. Now came the awkward task of explaining Hannah to everyone. Terra and Gina being in the same place helped a little.

 

“Everyone, meet Hannah Patterson.” I said as we entered the kitchen. “She’s going to spend the Holidays here with us. I met her this evening on my way home and after hearing her story I just couldn’t turn her away. I guess you can say I’m a very compassionate guy.”

 

“I’ll say!” Terra replied in amazement. “And one so young! She reminds me so much of Celes back at home.”

 

”I was just thinking the same thing but for completely different reasons...” Gina remarked, giving her a look. Then she returned her attention to our guest. “We have plenty of room here so make yourself at home.”

 

“Thank you all.” Hannah replied. “I don’t know what to say…”

 

“Your company is thanks enough.” I said. “You have no idea how few Gina and I have had since we moved here from Boston.”

 

“I feel like I belong here somehow.” Hannah remarked. “Is this what being at home feels like?”

 

“Now those are the words of someone who has done a lot of traveling.” Said Terra. “Maybe you should use this as a chance to rest.”

 

“I think I will.” Hannah replied. “Thanks.” A few days after I brought Hannah home Me and Gina decided to make her a part of the family and adopted her. I did some research and learned the baby’s father and her mother had been murdered and her father was reported missing in Boston. All she had left was her baby.

 

I was even more shocked when I read WHEN the father of Hannah's child died. It was around the same time Dad was forced to fight some nut case on top of the Prudential Tower. He barely won that fight and the loser fell to his death. After a bit more research I realized Hannah's boyfriend and the guy Dad fought were actually the same person. Not that Hannah needed to know that, of course.

 

We signed the paperwork to make it official. Hannah was now our daughter. It was a happy moment for all of us. Even though we were close in terms of age it didn’t matter. “I’m glad I decided to stay for this.” Terra said a few days after the paperwork was complete. “I don’t know what it makes me but I’m glad I’m part of it!”

 

“Think nothing of it.” Gina replied. “We do what we can and that’s what matters.”

 

“I wonder how I’m gonna explain this to Mom, Dad, Katrin and everyone else.” I said with a sign.

 

“Just tell them you have a new member of the family with one more on the way.” Gina suggested. “They could like getting a granddaughter and great granddaughter at the same time.”

 

“If only things were that simple.” I said before turning to Hannah. “The thing is this: my 2nd oldest sister in Boston became pregnant at age 16. Not only that, my mother is also pregnant. Add you to that and it may be too much for my parents to handle at once.”

 

“Well…maybe we don’t have to tell them right away.” said Gina. “They’re vacationing in Europe so this can wait until they’re back. Better yet…we can do it at Christmas.”

 

“That’s not a bad idea.” I remarked. “But for now, let’s get ready for Thanksgiving, shall we?” Our young family spent the next few days getting things together. Terra bought Hannah some things for the baby and Gina bought her some new clothes. We both agreed that Hannah should finish College. I was able to get her into The University of Arkansas for January, where she majored in Politics. Hannah was thrilled.

 

The three of us spent the days leading up to Thanksgiving together as a family. Hannah even promised to enroll in the City Year program once she finished school. Some money for college was something she couldn’t resist. “You’ve got a lot of places to choose from.” I said. “I feel so privileged in asking what is Michael and Alan’s dream. Where, oh where are you going to do your service year?”

 

“I’ve got to face my past so I think I’m going to do it in Boston.” She replied.

 

“Excellent choice.” I said excitedly. “Your new Grandmother is Executive Director in Boston and your new Grandfather is one of the Program Directors. Not only that, me and my twin sister Katrin did our first year there. Katrin currently is a Program Manager in City Year New York.”

 

“It’s good to know I’ll know people there.” She said with a laugh. “I’ll look forward to it.”

 

---

 

“I think we should be heading back now.” I said after me and Hannah had done some last minute errands on Little Rock’s main street. “Thanksgiving is tomorrow and we should be all set.”

 

“I’m ready when you are.” She replied. We walked a few blocks to the parking lot where I had parked the car. It was a little after dusk but the streetlights were on. We were so engaged in conversation we didn’t even realize we were being followed. “So, when was the last time you’ve been to Boston?” Hannah asked me.

 

“I haven’t seen the Bay State since July.” I replied. “We’ll be going back for Christmas and New Years, though.”

 

“Oh, excuse me.” I turned in time to see someone deliberately bump into me.

 

“Hey…!” I exclaimed. Before I could fully react, the man had run off.

 

“What was that about?” Hannah asked.

 

“I don’t know.” I replied as I rechecked my pockets. “Wait a minute, my car keys are missing! That man’s a thief!” I ran the rest of the way with Hannah close behind. When I reached the parking lot the car was gone. Fresh skid marks showed we just missed him. “S**t!” I spat.

 

“Was that your car?” someone asked me. I turned and saw that it was a Little Rock police officer.

 

“Yeah, and the guy driving it took the keys right out of my pockets.” I confirmed.

 

“I knew there was something odd about the driver.” He replied. “The car thief will be in prison before midnight, I promise you.” He then went off to make the report, leaving Me and Hannah alone in the parking lot.

 

“Can he really get it back before midnight?” Hannah asked.

 

“Of course.” I replied. “This is a very small city. It’s hard to get far with a stolen car here.” A moment later, the officer returned.

 

“You’re in luck.” He said. “We caught the thief and your car is at the station. You’ll need to come with me to fill out the necessary paperwork.”

 

“Wow, that was fast!” Hannah exclaimed.

 

“I told you so.” I said with a laugh. “The Little Rock Police are real good at what they do.”

 

“All in a day’s work.” The officer replied with a tip of his hat. After picking up the car and making sure everything was in order, we went home. It was a pretty crazy evening we had. Things would get more interesting when we witnessed a car accident right in front of us. It was so terrible that we became stuck in the middle of the bridge.

 

“What do we do now?” Hannah asked me. Before I could answer, the bridge started to give way. It seemed the accident had damaged that section of the bridge.

 

“We’ve got to get out of here!” I exclaimed. “The bridge is collapsing!” We got out of the car and went to the bridge’s walkway. The bridge swayed suddenly, knocking Hannah clear off. I looked over the side in time to see her dangling from one of the pieces of scaffolding. “Are you ok down there?” I asked her.

 

“I’ll live, I think.” She replied. “I think I’m stuck here, though.”

 

“Wait there until help arrives!” I said. “I’m sure a rescue team will be here soon.”

 

“Dad, I don’t think I can hang on…” she said. I looked and saw that the wire she was holding onto was breaking.

 

“Just hang on!” I said as I began to charge Force Energy. “Help is coming!”

 

“With the way things have been going all day it’s almost as if I’m supposed to fall off this bridge.” She remarked with a laugh.

 

“That’s where you’re wrong.” I replied. “If that were true, you and I would never have met. That and we wouldn’t have gotten the car--.”

 

SNAP!

 

I looked in horror to see the scaffolding break completely, plunging Hannah towards the Arkansas River. I knew then that I would have to go off the bridge after her.

 

“Help me!” she screamed.

 

“HANNAH!”

 

I dove off the bridge after her. When I reached her I took her into my arms and stopped falling entirely. A pair of translucent wings sprouted from my back, stopping the fall. With them, I floated back to dry land, where she promptly fainted. Upon landing I put the wings away. There, Police and Medics were waiting.

 

“Were you on that bridge?” One of the Cops asked me.

 

“Yes, we were.” I replied as we were helped into an Ambulance. “Help my daughter, she’s 9 months Pregnant!”

 

“We’ll be at the hospital in 3 minutes.” The driver said before turning on the siren. When we arrived at the hospital I called Gina right away and told her what had happened. I'd only suffered minor injuries but Hannah had entered a coma and there was no guarantee she would be waking up anytime soon.

 

“Is there anything that can be done?” Gina asked the attending Doctor.

 

“In both cases you could loose your daughter.” The doctor replied. “I know this won’t help much but in both cases you’ll still have a grandchild.”

 

“What are the choices?’ I asked with a sigh.

 

“We can either deliver the baby right now using surgery or wait 2 days to see if she wakes up.” The Doctor replied. “If you choose to wait, that could further brain damage.”

 

“Damn…” I spat.

 

“I’ll give you two a few minutes to think about it.” said the doctor. He then walked back towards Hannah’s room.

 

“Wait.” Gina said. “We already know…”

 

“Since the day I met her, I knew that she was destined to see her baby.” I said. “We’re going to wait no matter how long it takes.”

 

“Alright, I’ll let the Nurse know of your decision.” The doctor replied before walking off. We stayed at Hannah’s bedside from that moment on. I let my superiors at City Year know so they would have someone look after my team until I was able to return.

 

“Where am I…?” Hannah said one morning.

 

“You’re going to be ok.” Gina said. “Just rest.”

 

“What about the baby?” she asked.

 

“He’s going to be fine.” I replied with a smile. The doctors couldn’t believe she’d pulled through. They’d never expected her to recover at all. She gave birth to a son soon after awakening. She named him after her adopted grandfather, Ted Toss III.

 

“I still haven’t figured out how to tell the rest of the family.” Terra said at the airport a week after Hannah was released.

 

“We’ll do it.” I said. “Until then don’t say anything.”

 

“That’s fine.” She replied. “I’ll see you all in Boston, then!” As we drove home the three of us thought about all the things that had happened to us over the past few weeks. Just like that we had found each other and became a family. We all knew that we would face what life had prepared for us together.

 

“You know Hannah, there’s something I wanted to tell you and Fin.” Gina said as we neared home.

 

“What’s that?” I asked.

 

“While we were at the Hospital I found out something amazing.” She said. “I’m going to have a baby!”

 

“That’s something to celebrate!” Hannah replied. “That makes things all the more nicer.”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5