Mark Anthony: Ace Attorney

Mark Anthony: Ace Attorney

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

The World's Youngest Defense Attorney is asked by NASA to deal with a malfunctioning Satellite. Later, he takes part in a case that many see as a rather touching subject...

"

 

---


 

 

Chapter 2: Mark Anthony—Ace Attorney

 

 

 

 


 

---


Four Months Later...


I worked furiously in my basement laboratory finishing my latest invention. If successful, it would allow people to enter computers. Dad found it a bit unusual at first that I had a thing for technology my entire life. At age 3 I took apart a Microwave and a TV set. When I put them back together you could eat whatever was on TV.


Mom thought it was good that I'd found such an amazing hobby. As long as it didn’t affect my studies or my ability to make friends it was ok by her. Having just become the World's Youngest Attorney in American History last month, I was now pursuing a degree and Quantum Physics. I majored in Law so that I could ensure that justice would always be on my side no matter where I was. The new thing was just to support my hobby. “Mark Anthony, I need you to come upstairs for a minute.” Ann called from somewhere in the house. “I have a surprise for you!”


“I'll be right up!” I shouted after I safely shut off a power drill. Although Ann wasn’t my mother I treated her as such. My friends thought it was weird for there to be two moms in the house that weren’t even a couple. I knew the situation behind it and it didn't bother me at all. When I entered the Dining Room I saw two of my friends from school, Dexter and Rose. Both of them were holding a battery powered Clock Radio. “I was expecting them but thanks!” I called into the kitchen. Then I said to them “let’s go downstairs.” When I turned to go back to the basement I nearly ran into someone who felt soft around the middle. “Sorry, Ann.” I said as I went around her.


“I’m not my mom.” Said a rather familiar voice. I looked back and saw that it was Celes, who had spent the last 4 months in New York. Her hair had almost grown back to full length since I’d last seen her. Since she’d stopped dyeing her hair when she found out she was pregnant her hair had returned to its natural black-brown color. The dress she wore was loose fitting but a slight bulge was still visible.


“When did you get back?” I asked her.


“Just now.” She replied with a grin. “Katrin’s got a really nice team in New York. I need to go do something in Terra’s office but I’ll talk to you later!” I then led my friends to my laboratory and shut the door. They put their appliances on the worktable and I examined them.


“Please fix our Clock-Radios, Mark Anthony!” Rose pleaded.


“We need the power of time!” Dexter added. “Only you can help us.”


“You do know that this will very expensive, don’t you?” I questioned them warily. “Not only that, changing events of the past will ripple all the way to the present. For example, offing a certain world leader won’t necessarily change things for the better. It could actually make it worse. Do you still want it?”


“Of course!” They said together.


“Alright, I’ll do it.” I replied. “In exchange, you both must do my homework through High School.”


“It’s a deal.” Rose replied. “Only a small price to pay.”


-


A few weeks later Dexter, Rose and I were at the Expo Center in South Boston. I brought my Need-Meter, Cyber Room and my recently completed Bio Downloader. Rose and Dex brought their modified Clock Radios and all three of us wore our wristwatches modified to allow us to manipulate the natural flow of time.


“So, what does the Cyber Room do?” An official asked Me.


“Allow me to show you.” I said, turning it on. A blue dome enveloped the area. Anyone within its radius was inside the space as well. “When used with Need-Meter and Bio-Downloader it allows humans to exist in the digital world.” I explained. He passed a Need-Meter to the official as well as Dexter and Rose. I turned mine on and with a wave of my hand, made Dexter and Rose’s new electronics disappear. They reappeared on my Laptop computer's screen.


“That’s amazing!” The official said. I waved my hand again, making them go back to the table.


“That’s not all.” Said I said as I took out what looked like a modified Nintendo DS. “With the Bio-Downloader I will put my friends in the Cyber World!” I then pressed a button and both Dexter and Rose disappeared. A quick check on the screen showed them both on my Laptop screen.


“The Need-Reader closely monitors their vitals while in the Cyber World.” I explained. If there is any sign of trouble they are immediately uploaded from the computer. I pressed another button and the two of them reappeared.


“You have made such amazing progress for one so young.” The official said. “I’m going to put you down for first prize!”


“But wait, there’s more.” I continued. Taking a copy of The Sims 2 out of my pocket, I put it into my computer and started it up. When I loaded a house, the Cyber Room changed to that of the house. We were now in the game!


“Is this for real?” asked Rose.


“Of course.” I replied. “Say hello to The Sims.” I finally deactivated the Cyber Room, bringing us back to the real world.


“I will remember this forever…” Dexter said.


“My friends, the fun is just beginning…” I said with a smile. “A World of Adventures awaits us!”



---



“That’s the last of them.” I said as I put down all my new trophies on my desk. I’d won them all at the Expo for all my inventions.


“What are you going to do with the prize money?” Asked Dexter.


“How does Hawaii sound?” I said thoughtfully.


“Do you mean it?” Rose asked me.


“Of course.” I replied. “Pack your bags, my friends! We’re going on a vacation!”


“Alright!” The two said before running outside. I then returned me attention to my suitcase.


“I’ll definitely bring my Chrono Watch.” I said to myself. “It’ll be good for a little extra fun…”


“I see you did well at the Young Achiever's Expo.” Dad said from the doorway. “First Prize and a large cash payout to boot!”


“I’m taking my friends with me to Hawaii.” I announced. “Unless that would be too far…”


“You know it is.” I replied. “I have a rule against being more than 12 hours away from me. Even with your inventions that is too far.”


“Can I go to Key West, then?” I asked.


“That would be better.” Dad replied. “Ann and I are going to be in Europe for a few weeks to see Tom’s release at a military hospital in London. Your mom and Serenity arrived in Little Rock yesterday and will be there through Thanksgiving. Katrin should be here later tonight and I’ll let her know you’ll be away for a little while. I’ll need you back before your mom gets home or she’ll really worry.”


“I think I’ll be back long before then.” I said with a grin. “We may even be home in time for Thanksgiving.” I arrived at the airport the next day to pick up the tickets. Dexter and Rose were waiting there as well, ready to go.


“This is going to be so cool!” Dexter exclaimed. “I can’t wait to hit some waves!”


“We’ll be in Key West but it’ll be fun.” I explained. “ Dad said Hawaii was too far. I’m bringing a few of my gear as well, so...”


“That’s just like you,” Rose finished. “What do you have planned this time?”


“You know I’ll never tell.” I replied with a laugh. “Now come on, let’s go.” After passing through security we hurried to the correct gate to catch our flight. I had no interest in making the evening news so I made sure airport security knew of the stuff I was bringing on the plane. I did leave out the fact that the watch me and my friends wore could allow us to manipulate time. In the event of some mechanical problems they would prove useful on the plane.


“I hope we aren’t delayed.” Dexter said once we were seated in first class. “It’s hurricane season and there’s limited flights to Florida.”


“I shouldn’t think so.” I replied. “That’s why I got the tickets so cheap.” When it came time, the plane taxied over to the runway, took off and were on our way. That’s when Rose noticed something strange.


“Is it me or are we the only ones on the plane?” she suddenly asked me and Dexter.


“Maybe people are scared to fly south.” I replied with a laugh. “We are flying in the path of incoming Hurricanes, after all.”


“That’s nothing compared to living on a fault line.” Dexter said in reference to California. “Blizzards are the least of our worries in New England.” The plane took a sudden dip downward without warning. When the emergency lights came on we realized something was seriously wrong.


“What’s going on?!” Rose exclaimed. “Where’s the flight crew?” It was then that we realized we never noticed a flight crew. We got out of our seats and made our way to the front of the plane. When we reached the open cockpit we were horrified to find it empty.


“We’re going down fast!” Dexter exclaimed. “If we don’t do something we’re going to die!”


“Quick—get to the luggage and get our stuff!” I exclaimed. “I’ll try to level the plane but in case I can’t I’ll need the Bio Downloader, the Need Meter and the Cyber Room.”


“Got it.” Rose said before disappearing with Dexter. I then put on a headset and checked the communications system. Everything seemed to be working. When I tested the emergency frequency I received no response for any Control Towers nearby.


“What’s going on…?” I wondered out loud. “Did we get set up?”


“We’re back.” Rose announced as she and Dexter dragged the gear through the doorway. I ripped open my bag of equipment and fished out 3 Need Meters, a Cyber Room Control Panel and my Laptop Computer.


“This plane’s going to crash.” I said as I booted up the computer. “And we need to get off it!” I started up the Bio-Download program and then the Cyber Room. I stored all our gear on my computer and downloaded Dexter and Rose as well.


“Mark, what about you?” Rose asked through the Need Meter.


“I have to pick a destination—WHOA!” I exclaimed as the plane swayed sharply. “That’s my signal to hurry…”


“There’s no time, you have to get off that plane!” Dexter exclaimed.


“I’m working on it…” I replied as I gave the computer some coordinates. I planned to send us all to the Nation Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) headquarters in Florida. I only needed access to a work terminal but if I couldn't I'd hack into one. Finding one that was open I executed the transfer and then downloaded myself into the computer.


Shortly afterward I deactivated the Cyber Room, giving it the command to absorb the Laptop as it closed. “We’re getting to Florida much faster than expected.” I said to my companions. When the display screen showing the cockpit faded away we knew we were being sent to a safer place. When it faded completely we could hear the sound of an explosion. We’d all gotten off none too soon!


“That’s cutting it close.” Dexter said. “Where did you say we were going again?”


“NASA headquarters in Florida.” I replied. “We should be arriving shortly.” Another screen appeared, showing what looked like a huge control room. “And now to get us out of here…”I trailed as I typed something on my computer. Almost instantly we were back in the real world, safe and sound.


“May that never happen again!” Rose said. “Now we have to get out of here!”


“I can’t believe that worked.” Someone behind us said. “Sorry about that but we knew it would be the best way to get you here on your terms.”


“Who are you?” I asked her.


“The name’s Professor Wanda Brass.” She replied. “I’m sorry about what happened to you guys but we knew it would be the best way to get you all here. Come with me and I’ll explain everything.” She led us out of the Control room with two soldiers carrying our stuff. For some reason, Dexter thought it was cool. She brought us into a conference room that was filled with members of the Pentagon. Upon our arrival we were immediately seated. Now it was MY turn to be impressed!


“Before we begin, I would like to personally apologize to you for your near-death experience.” Professor Brass said. “When we learned of your achievements in Boston Professor Toss, we had to see it for ourselves. Fortunately, you performed far better than we expected.”


“I see...” I replied thoughtfully. “Although we were scared half to death, all is forgiven.”


“Good, now let me tell you why you are here.” She continued. “We received word that our satellites have been plagued with viruses. Normally we’d give the order for them to be deactivated but for some reason they can’t be turned off. Not only that we can’t launch anything into space with Hurricane season underway.”


“So you want us to take care of it.” I concluded. “You're lucky I'm also a lawyer.”


“Exactly.” She replied. “Are there any objections?”


“Of course not!” Rose exclaimed. “Let’s go for it!”


“I’m in!” Dexter added. “Somehow I knew this wasn’t going to be an ordinary vacation.”


“I’ll do it, but you all have to come up with a convincing cover story for my folks.” I said. “Oh, and of course I’m going to need full use of the Base.”


“Not a problem.” Said one of the generals from the Pentagon. “That makes this incident easier to contain, actually. During this time the base will be a no fly zone.”


“The fate of the world’s communications network is in your hands.” Said one of the other Pentagon Officials. “We will be expecting nothing but success.” After the meeting ended Professor Brass showed us to our sleeping quarters. It was a bit tight but livable. I knew time was against us so I decided to freeze it for three days.


“Can you do that?” Professor asked me then following day in the control room.


“With the new toys I made for Dexter and Rose, of course.” I replied. “They just went to each of the Planet’s Poles to set them up. When they’re done I’ll be able to stop time itself from continuing.”


“That’s quite amazing!” The Professor replied.


“While my buddies are setting things up, I had some workers set up the entire base so it can be digitized.” I continued. “This will make the Space Center the largest area I’ve ever digitized as a Cyber Room.”


“So I see.” The Professor remarked, clearly impressed.


When Rose and Dexter reappeared in the control room I knew they had finished. “So how were the Poles?” I asked them.


“Frigid.” They said in unison.


“And now it’s time we freeze time.” I remarked with a laugh. I started up the program and immediately every single clock on the planet froze. It certainly was amazing. I set up the Cyber Room, sealing off the base from the rest of the world. “We’re now the only ones not effected by the change of time.” I announced. “Now the real challenge begins.”


Preparations were made for the three of us to be downloaded directed into each satellite. Out of the 27 Satellites currently orbiting earth, three of them were decimated by viral activity. It was decided that each of us would go to a satellite accompanied by a team of scientists and soldiers. “We’re just about ready.” Professor Brass said to the three groups gathered in the courtyard.


“Good, because I don’t want to waste any time with this.” I replied. “Time to start some virus busting!”


“There isn’t any danger of anything happening to us, is there?” Rose asked. “I mean, they’re just viruses.”


“While in the satellites we’re no longer people.” I said to the group. “We’re programs. Once you pass through the portal you will be trading your humanity for Digital Information. As such, if you are hurt by a virus it will make you sick. That’s why everyone is carrying a copy of the latest Anti-Virus Software. Pay close attention to the Need Mater on your arm. I created them just for the task at hand. When your Health percentage falls below 30 percent you will advised to log out of the system. If it falls to zero you will be deleted.”


“When you say deleted you just mean purged from the network, right?” Asked one of the soldiers.


“When I say deleted, I mean dead.” I replied. “Once that’s happens, it’s the same as what happens in the real world. You can’t be brought back. In the event that does happen, however I am leaving backup data for everyone with Professor Brass. She’ll reboot you into the system and bring you back to the real world. We have 72 hours. Let’s get to work!”


We each then led our separate teams through one of the three open portals. Many were fascinated at what they were seeing. It was like exploring a whole new world. “It’s hard to believe something like this could be seen by human eyes.” One of the scientists said.


“If we’re not careful we might not see our loved ones.” I remarked. At that moment I heard my cell phone ring and answered it.


“Mission accomplished.” said Dexter, who was on the other side.


“Are you serious?” I asked in surprise. “We haven’t found anything yet!”


“I know, I know.” He said. “They came in hard and fast but we fought them back with everything we had. There were a few that slipped away and we think they’re heading your way. We’ll be joining you shortly.”


“Copy that.” I replied. “I’ll check with Rose and see how she’s—“


“All set!” said Rose as she suddenly appeared with her group. “We had to fight this huge virus where we were. After we defeated it we decided to come here and see how you’re doing.”


“We’ve had no encounters.” I reported. “If you ask, me, this sounds too easy…”


“You can say that again!” Dexter said after passing through a portal. “I was expecting a lot more action!”


“Maybe our weaponry is more powerful than the viruses.” one of the soldiers suggested.


“Anybody recognize those things over there?” I asked suddenly, pointing to a platform just ahead.


“Those look like the viruses we fought!” one of the scientists exclaimed.


“And the super virus we fought!” Rose chimed.


Everyone watched as the smaller viruses merged with the Super Virus to form a powerful new virus.


“Let’s lock and load!” said Dexter. “Time to do some virus busting!” Before he could aim, the Virus spat at him. He rolled out of the way but his entire team was caught in it. After a few moments they were all gone.


“Avoid that at all costs if you value your lives.” I warned before throwing a digital sword to Dexter. “I’ll work on uploading my retro-virus.”


“Retro-Virus?” Rose asked.


“As the saying goes, Only a virus can defeat a virus.” I said. “Everyone, I’ll need 45 seconds to launch this thing. Give me some cover!” The remaining soldiers fired their weaponry at the virus while the scientists healed injuries with software. Dexter attacked with a sword and Rose with a Rifle. Suddenly the Virus reared up and with one blow, defeated all the soldiers and scientists.


“This is so not good…” Dexter trailed as the Virus approached him and Rose. “Mark, we could really use that Retro about now.”


“A few more seconds…” I said as the virus advanced towards him.


“Mark…” Rose warned.


“I’ve almost got it.” I said.


“Mark…” Dexter warned.


“Just a moment longer!” I exclaimed.


“ANTHONY!” Said Dexter and Rose at the same time.


“Got it!” I exclaimed. And that's when my computer crashed. “F**K!” I exclaimed as the computer shut down.


“What just happened?!” Dexter exclaimed.


”My computer crashed is what happened!” I exclaimed. “I have no choice—both you get out of the way!” They both did as they were told. I then unsheathed my Solar Blade and swung it at the Virus. In the next moment a beam of energy fired from it and blew the Virus to pieces. Not a trace of it remained. Mission accomplished!


“How did you…?” Asked Rose.


“I analyzed data from when you and Dexter fought them separately.” I explained. “I calculated what would happen if they fused and from there it was easy to make the right Retro. What I didn't expect was my computer overloading from all the network activity but it's a good thing I had a backup plan ready.”


“What about the others?” Asked Dexter. “I feel kinda bad for them.”


“No need, my friend.” I replied. “They’re safe at the base. Time for us to jack out!” When we got back, we were hailed as heroes.


“We can’t thank you enough for what you did.” Said Professor Brass once time was restored to normal. “You have the appreciation of the entire world.”


“Think nothing of it.” I replied. “Our little misadventure allowed me to develop some new technology. Something tells me it may be needed again.”


“Now that we’ve saved the world, what’s next Mark?” Asked Rose.


“Vacation, duh!” I replied. “I could really use one now!”


“Sounds good to me.” Dexter remarked.


We left the base and headed for the Florida Keys. From there we spent the rest of the month in style. Little did I realize, my life would change forever when I returned home. “Ok, so this is Little Rock.” Said Rose when we were teleported to a quiet street. I wanted to take a shortcut but it appeared we were now far from Florida.


“No worries, my brother lives here.” I replied. “If we run into him he can tell us the correct Area Code.” We walked around a bit and came to a bridge that crossed the Arkansas River. When we saw the barricades we realized we’d have to find another way to get to Fin’s house.


“Looks like there was an accident.” Said Dexter. “I wonder what happened?”


“City Year!” Rose suddenly exclaimed. Dexter and I turned and saw several people in City Year Jackets gathered at the Tourist Center. We walked over and overheard a conversation.


“I feel really bad for Fin and Gina.” Said the first person. “If their daughter and granddaughter died, who knows how Ted and Ann would react.”


“And I just heard Ted and Ann are expecting a baby.” Said the second. “On top of that their teenage daughter is also pregnant.”


“How in the world do you know all this stuff about my family?” I asked them.


“You’re related to Fin?” Asked the first person.


“I’m his brother!” I exclaimed. “And I want to know what is going on here.”


“There was an accident on the bridge and your brother and adopted daughter were involved.” Said the second person. “I’m Ellen and this is Frank. Your brother is the Program Manager for our Team.”


“Fin was ok but a teenage girl he and Gina adopted was seriously hurt in a fall on the bridge.” Frank continued. “She was 9 months pregnant and was rushed to the hospital. They got the baby out and it’s fine. The girl just woke up this morning.”


“I can’t believe it…” I trailed. “I’ve got an aunt the same age as one of my sisters with a new cousin. On top of that I’ll have a new sibling and niece or nephew coming soon!”


“Sounds exciting.” Said Rose. “You are super-lucky!”


“Well, since my brother is busy that makes me your boss for a while.” I said to Frank and Ellen.


“What makes you say that?” Asked Ellen. I unrolled a document from my backpack and showed it to them.


“Mom, Dad, Fin and Katrin gave me and Celes one of these.” I said. “In the event something should happen to one of them, I can ask a City Year Member to do something for me.”


“What did you have in mind?” Asked Frank.


“Just a Team Hug,” I replied.


“I don’t see a problem with that!” Ellen replied before getting the rest of the team together. After sharing a moment together I knew it was time to head home. I would pretend this never happened to protect Fin but knew I had some things to do before both my parents returned to Boston.


“So now what, Mark?” Rose asked me.


“Good question.” I remarked as I bought a newspaper. What I saw on the front page shocked me. “Interesting....”


“What is it?” Dexter asked. I turned the paper so they could see.


“My first case.” I said with a smile. “We're going to our nation's capital.” I opened my computer and activated the Bio Transfer system. Minutes later, we were outside a court house, which surprised even me. “Let's go.” We walked into the building, where I promptly entered Courtroom number 3. It also happened to be the one all the Supreme Court Justices were deliberating a case that would permanently change America.


“If that's all there is, then I see no reason to continue.” The Chief Justice said. “With this ruling, Freedom of Religion will be repealed. Does anyone have any objections?”


“Of course I do!” I exclaimed as I made my way to the front of the court room. “There's no way I'm going to allow you all to ban the practice of Religion in America!”


“Just who are you?” Another Judge demanded.


“I'm an attorney.” I said as I took my place at the Defense's Table. “I just passed the bar exam last month.”


“I think they would like to know your name.” Rose commented as she and Dexter sat next to me.


“Considering what I did for The Space Program 12 hours ago, they should already know who I am.” I replied before getting to my feet. I handed a folder to the Bailiff before addressing the Justices before me. “No, that's not substantial in a courtroom. My name is Mark Anthony Toss and I've never lost a case. I'd like to represent The Almighty and bring some sense of being to what's just been the Demoralization of America. Banning God is just going to make things WORSE, not better.”


“Interesting, Mr. Toss.” One of the Judges said after reading the contents of my folder. “Very well. We will allow you to defend God. Normally, we would not allow young attorneys to do such a thing but in your case, we'll make an exception.”


“Bailiff, please give the Defense a copy of the case file.” The Chief Justice said. “This case will reconvene tomorrow at ten.”


“I must object to that, your honor.” I said before he could even touch the gavel.


“Object to what?” he asked.


“This hearing reconvening tomorrow,” I replied. “I only need a few minutes to prepare. That, and you will change your minds about this case after fifteen minutes of me.”


“What makes you so sure?” One of the other Justices asked.


“What makes you doubt?” I countered and then added “And of course, I've brought substantial evidence with me to back God up.” They talked briefly before turning to me again.


“Very well Mr. Toss.” The Chief Justice said. “This court will reconvene in 30 minutes.” With a bang of gavel, the court went into recess. I promptly walked out of the courthouse and ran to nearby Christian Bookstore.


“What are you doing?” Rose asked me.


“Getting some ammo,” I replied as I took some money out of my wallet. “Dex, there's a Mosque a few blocks from here. Buy two Korans—one in English, the other in Arabic and meet me back at the courthouse.”


“I follow.” He said as he ran down the street.


“Rose, there's a store that sells Books on Paganism, Satanism and Wicca near the Smithsonian.” I said as I gave her some large bills. ”Buy them and meet me back at the courthouse. While you're at it, buy a book on Scientology.”


“Not a problem.” She said before I went into the bookstore.


“I need a copy of every version of the Bible you have printed in English.” I said as I put some large bills on the counter. After paying for them all, I returned to the courtroom in time for court to return to session, where Dexter and Rose were waiting. At this point, I was briefed on the proceedings thus far. Considering the state of America right now, I took it well.


“...And so the hearing to repeal article one of the first Amendment will now continue,” One of the Justices said. “Do you have any questions, Mr. Toss?”


“Just one--” I replied as I rose to my feet. I picked up a Bible and held it up for all to see. “Do you know what this stands for?”


“The basis of Judaism and Modern Christianity, of course.” The man said.


“Wrong.” I answered before getting a Koran. “What about this?”


“The basis of Islam.” Another justice replied.



“Guess again.” I said before getting four other Religious Books. “What about these?”


“I really have no idea what you're getting at, Mr. Toss.” The Chief Justice said.


“Then clearly you've forgotten WHY your ancestors came to America 300 years ago.” I replied with a sigh before adding. “And you call yourselves the voices of reason...” I put the books down a wiped the sweat beading on my face. Now I knew I had their full attention.


“Would you care to elaborate as to what they are, then?” The Chief Justice asked.


“Of course,” I replied as I stood. I grabbed all the books and piled them in front of the Justices. I then poured some lighter fluid on the pile and lit a match. After thinking a moment, I grabbed the American flag in the corner and threw it on the pile as well. Dexter and Rose simply watched in shock.


“What do you think you’re doing?!” The Chief Justice exclaimed.


“The same thing you’re about to.” I replied. “I’m exercising my freedom of…not believing in God.”


“But why is the American Flag on that pile?” One of the other Justices demanded.


“Simple.” I replied and then added. “The best way to destroy a tribe of people is to destroy what gives the majority of them peace of mind. Considering Religion is so instrumental in the daily lives of most of this nation, it’s only fitting to ensure they don’t get to partake of it. Do that and you’ll have the bloodiest Revolution on American soil since well…the Original American Revolution. I trust you have no objections?”


“Of course we do!” The Chief Justice exclaimed. “You can’t burn sacred documents in this courtroom!” I looked at him as if he just asked me to grow wings and fly out of the room.


“Well in that case, hurry up and Amend Article I of the First Amendment so I can do that…legally.” I replied. They all looked at me in terror, which quickly turned to suspicion. I could tell they either believed me or thought I was bluffing.


“Mark, don’t do it!” Dexter exclaimed as he jumped out of his seat. “If you burn the Torah, I swear I’ll never forgive you!”


“And I will ask Allah to curse you and your entire family!” Rose cut in. “It will be nothing compared to someone attempting to capture the grace and beauty of the prophet Mohamed!”


“What are you getting mad at me for?” I asked them. “Those guys are going to make what I’m about to do legal! If you let them do that, as far as I’m concerned, there is no such this as God, Allah, Jehovah or whoever most of America worships! But wait, that’s just MOST of America. There IS a percentage of Americans who do not practice any sort of Religion. Once this proposal becomes law, America will be theirs for the taking. Since they do not rely on a Divine Being for Guidance, they’re already ahead of the rest of the pack. What say you to that, Chief Justice?”


“I won’t allow it.” He said. “I’m a Catholic. There are laws to protect Americans from religious persecution.”


“When Article I of the first Amendment is repealed, that protection will be taken away as well.” I replied. “But then again you guys have been in law much longer than I’ve been alive so of course you’d know that.”


“Not anymore.” He said sternly. “I would sooner sell my soul than be responsible for undoing what is the heart and soul of this country. Henceforth, I declare any attempt to repeal the Freedom of Religion unconstitutional for all time. This court is adjourned!” With a bang of the gavel, I’d won the case. Relieved with the outcome, I walked out of the courtroom with Dexter and Rose close by.


“Honestly now, were you really going to burn those books?” Dexter asked.


“Of course not,” I replied but then added. “But I would’ve been forced to if that last bit didn’t shake them. I’d say your reactions were what helped them see the light. Considering a lot of countries dislike the American lifestyle, they couldn’t possibly expect ANYONE to be ok with Repealing Article I of the First Amendment.”


“Point taken…” Rose remarked. “Seriously though—I was prepared thrash you if you dropped that match.”


“You’re forgetting that I’m a Christian.” I said. “If anything, God put me here to make sure the Government didn’t do what it almost did in there.”


“Well said.” Dexter remarked. “I doubt the same outcome if a non-religious person was in there.”


“Somehow, I think it would be the same outcome.” I said as we approached the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. “Now let’s thank God for the freedom to be able to keep doing so.”




© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written..
Keep up the good wrok and feel free to send me a request...
Thanks for sharing,
One!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5