The Toss Family

The Toss Family

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

A not so ordinary family deals with not so ordinary problems. Each Chapter of this story was once a standalone story. Modifcations have been made throughout but it'll be enjoyable by many.

"

 

Copyright Brendan2k5, 2007-2008. All Rights Reserved

 

 

---

 

Chapter 1: The Toss Family

 

---

 

 

I woke up on Monday morning and could not believe the weekend had passed already. I was still exhausted after spending last week in Duxbury but hey, that’s life. I’d barely had enough time to wash the City Year Uniform I wore the entire week for the coming week. “Morning, Sunshine.” I heard my wife Ann-Marie say as she entered the bedroom. She wore a City Year Uniform like I did for work but today she wore a business suit. “I have to be leaving really soon. Can you make sure Terra gets the kids off to school?” As the Executive Director of City Year’s Boston, Ann-Marie’s working hours were random, for the most part. Although she was 3 months pregnant she was perfectly healthy—the calisthenics City Year Members did on a tri-weekly basis was a contributing factor.

 

“I’ve got to get ready for work but I’ll let her know before I go.” I said as I got out of bed. “Don’t let them eat you alive—the Board of Trustees, I mean.”

 

“I know, I know.” She replied before giving me a quick kiss. “I know this is my first big test and you’re looking out for me. There’s just one thing I want you to remember.”

 

“Yeah?” I asked as I got ready to take a shower.

 

“Don’t tell me how to do my job.” She finished before leaving.

 

“I won't but then again I AM the guy who recommended you for the job!” I replied before she was out of earshot. After getting clean and dressed in my uniform I went across the hall and knocked on Terra’s door. No answer. A peek inside showed it was vacant. It seems she was downstairs in the kitchen. I headed for the stairs, knocking on Celes and Mark Anthony’s doors along the way. This was their signal to get ready for school. As I expected, I found Terra making breakfast in the kitchen.

 

“Ann must have been really worried about making a good impression.” Terra said as I came into the kitchen.

 

“What makes you say that?” I asked as I poured some OJ. She pointed to the lunch bag on the counter. I couldn't help but laugh. “I’ll make sure she gets it.” I said after gulping down a bagel. “Give the Red Sox my regards.” After making sure I had everything I needed I said goodbye to Serenity, who sat in a highchair and walked out the door. Many would call it strange for a guy like me to be living with two women but there was good reason for that—it was my idea.

 

I first met Ann-Marie some 20 years ago after she and I got ourselves into some trouble. A couple years later I met Terra and we got married in Las Vegas. When Ann found out, she wasn't happy but since she and I weren't legally married there was nothing she could do. Mind you, we stayed together because of our commitment to our kids.

 

Many people didn't expect our relationship to last but 22 years later I was still happily married to Terra and both of them were still here. I have a son and daughter with Terra, 12 year-old Mark Anthony and two year-old Serenity. I also have my oldest children, 21 year-old twins Fin and Katrin and 16 year-old Celes with Ann and another one coming in 6 months. If anything, my commitment to both women was still strong.

 

Upon arriving at Headquarters I dropped my things and headed for Copley Square to meet with the Boston Corps. As Program Director of City Year Boston I had to be there a bit early so the other staff wouldn’t think they were skipping PT that morning. Before walking out the door I dropped Ann’s lunch on her desk and etched a quick note.

 

“The things I do for that girl…” I muttered to myself as I walked to the Square. Upon arriving I called a Staff Circle, even though it was 5 minutes before eight. “Alright, we’ve got a lot of things to cover this week,” I began. “It’s the Corps’ first full week not just as the Boston Corps but as brothers and sisters in service for the next 9 months and 3 weeks. Everyone should use this time to do team building and work on getting your team in a good mindset for the service that they will be doing. Any questions?”

 

---

 

“Yes, I have a question.” I said at the Staff Circle. “Does everyone have their team’s Time Sheets?” All 12 Program Managers immediately passed their team’s paperwork to Ted and Casey, the other Program Director.

 

“I also want to remind everyone that I am going to be meeting with the Board of Trustees this afternoon in the Imagination Room. If anyone needs anything from me please leave it on my desk and I will get it when the meeting is over. This comes off as obvious but please remind your Teams to keep noise to a minimum while on the 3rd floor and to greet anyone they happen to see.”

 

After several more minutes the meeting ended with a spirit break. The Teams met, took attendance and then lined up for PT. I got in line with one of the teams for the morning workout. No one outside Boston and HQ staff knew I was expecting and I hoped to keep it that way until the Alumni Event coming in November. Unless I was having twins again, I wouldn’t start to show by then. After PT and the Unity Rally and everyone broke for the morning to go to their separate trainings, Ted walked with me back to the office. He had to process the paperwork he was given and I had to prepare for my meeting with the Board.

 

“You know, you left your lunch on the counter this morning.” Ted remarked as we entered the building.

 

“Did you bring it?” I asked.

 

“Of course.” He replied. “It’s on your desk. Remember, you’re eating for two again.”

 

“Or three.” I said with a laugh. “Thanks for getting it for me.”

 

“Of course.” He replied. “Just doing the right thing.” Since our offices were on different ends of the second floor, we bid each other farewell and went to our workstations. I found my misplaced lunch right where Ted left it and put it away. I then turned on the computer and start typing out directions to send to the Board for the afternoon.

 

Although most of the Board Members had been with City Year for awhile, my sending directions was important, according to my predecessor. It showed the Board that a new ED could plan for all the “what ifs” and was ready for any “just in case” that may just happen to happen.

 

“I am going to nail this one for sure.” I said to myself after hitting send. “I have nothing to worry about.” The phone rang. A quick glance and I saw that it was from Little Rock. There was only one person in Arkansas I knew with that number but I decided to entertain his call anyway. “Hello?”

 

“Hey, mom! It’s Fin.” Said the voice on the other side of the line.

 

“Hello, yourself, making a long-distance call like this!” I replied, very annoyed that Fin had called me using one of the office phones. Then I softened. “How’s Arkansas treating you?”

 

“It’s great!” He replied before adding “You know, Dad was right to tell me to come here when he did last year. As a Program Manager I’m making a lot of things happen.”

 

“I’m so happy to hear that.” I said with a smile. “Be sure to give my regards to the Little Rock Corps down there.”

 

“I’ll definitely do that.” Fin said. “I've got to meet my team at the Robinson Center soon so I'll let you get back to work.”

 

“Just a moment Fin,” I said before he could hang up. “You know you’ll be having another brother or sister in about 6 months, right?”

 

“I'm what—I do now!” Fin exclaimed. “That’s just—wow! I guess if I were still in Boston I’d have known a lot sooner. Does Katrin know?”

 

“Yes, I told her when she was home last month.” I replied. “I meant to tell you sooner I've just been so busy lately.”

 

“That kind of happens when you’re a PM in New York.” He replied with a laugh. “I really have to go now so I’ll talk to you later. Give my regards to Dad, Celes and everyone else!”

 

“I will Fin.” I said. “Good bye and take care.” After hanging up I took a moment to collect myself in the restroom. Fin and Katrin did their Corps years in Boston at the same time last year. Afterwards they applied to be a Program Manager in two other City Year sites. A quick drink of water and I was ready to get back to work.

 

“Hey, the Red Sox are playing the Yankees today,” Casey told me as she was going back to her office. “Would it be possible for you to maybe get me some tickets?”

 

“Of course.” I replied, reaching into my pocket. “Here’s four so you can bring a few friends.”

 

“Whoa, thanks! You rule!” She exclaimed happily.

 

“I'm only doing the right thing.” I replied with a smile. “I’ve never heard of the Celtics, Patriots or Red Sox losing at any game you go to. Somehow I know you need to go to this one.” I went back to my office and was greeted by two potential employees who I was going to interview. “Before I begin the interview I want to thank you both for your interest in becoming staff here at City Year Boston,” I began “If for some reason we are unable to take you at this time I can refer you to the National Recruitment Department on the 5th floor. Any Questions?”

 

---

 

I sat at my home office finishing up some paperwork. When I had Serenity I didn’t want to stop working so I chose to do my work from home. Since then I've had four pay increases and three promotions. I made as much as Ted and Ann combined plus interest. The home phone rang I got up to answer it. Ted, Ann and the twins knew to call my office phone after ten. “Hello?”

 

“This is the Dean of Harvard University.” The person on the other line said. “Is Mr. or Mrs. Toss available?”

 

“Yes, speaking.” I replied. “What did Mark Anthony do this time?”

 

“I’m afraid the school will be closed for the rest of the month due to a sudden termite infestation.” The principal said. “I’m calling to let you know that your child is in no danger and the entire student body is being sent to another building. You'll be pleasantly surprised to know Mark Anthony had nothing to do with this...incident.”

 

“Well, you sure scared me!” I exclaimed with relief. “I've gotten used to getting news of his escapades as of late so....yeah.”

 

“I understand.” he replied. “I apologize for scaring you. Perhaps I should've phrased that differently.”

 

“No harm done, I guess.” I said before hanging up. A quick time check said that it was 1:15PM. Time to feed Serenity. I went to the fridge and pulled out a bowl of leftover spaghetti, her favorite. I grabbed her from her playpen and put her in her high chair in the kitchen. While Serenity ate her food I made a sandwich for myself. “One of the first things I’m gonna do when I go back to the office is change the notification system.” I said to Serenity. “Had that been an actual emergency we would not have been prepared.”

 

When both of us had finished eating, I put Serenity back in her playpen and continued filing paperwork. About an hour later Mark Anthony and Celes came home from College. The two weren't adults but they finished grade school at a rather young age. Mark was pursuing a career in Law and Celes was majoring in Medicine “So, how was your day?” I asked from the office.

 

“It was great!” Mark Anthony exclaimed. “School was called on account of Bugs!”

 

“So I’ve heard.” I replied with a smile as I powered down my workstation. Having completed my work for the day I went back in the living room and got Serenity from her playpen. She was fast asleep. I took her upstairs and put her in her crib. On my way back to the stairs I heard someone throwing up in the bathroom. When I saw who it was I was both surprised and suspicious. “Celes, are you ok?”

 

“I’ll be fine.” she said as she picked herself up off the floor. “A lot of folks at school have been coming down with the same thing.”

 

“It sure doesn’t sound like it to me.” I said, opening the door completely. “That, and the fact that you're in Med School makes me more suspicious.”

 

“I’m just feeling a little off.” she replied. “I’ll be fine.” Right after saying that she threw up in the toilet again. I had my suspicions but at this point I knew there was only one way to know for sure.

 

“I’ve heard that one before too.” I remarked as I dragged Celes out of the bathroom and downstairs. “For your sake, you'd better hope I'm wrong this time.”

 

“Where are we going?” she asked as I unlocked my car.

 

“To buy a Pregnancy Test.” I replied curtly and then added, “For you.”

 

“Are you serious?” she asked in shock.

 

“Of course.” I replied as I started up my Sedan. “Better to know for sure before you start showing, yes?”

 

“You’re not gonna tell my mom, are you?” she caved as I pulled out of the driveway. At this point I realized she might have been denying the obvious.

 

“Only if the results come back negative.” I replied softly. “Now please fasten your seatbelt.” I drove to the nearest CVS Pharmacy and picked up a Home Pregnancy Test. I also picked up a box of tissues just in case and we headed back home.

 

“Where did you go so suddenly?” Mark Anthony asked me when we returned.

 

“Not now, Mark Anthony.” I replied as I ushered Celes into the bathroom. After reading the directions to Celes I left her to do the test. I went to check on Serenity, who was still asleep and then went back to my office and shut the door, hoping against all hope the test came back negative. I didn't know too much about Celes' boyfriend aside from him being the leader of a church in Boston. I also knew the boy's sister married Fin in Arkansas. Fifteen minutes passed before Celes came in with the results.

 

“So, what's the verdict?” I asked. She put the instrument on the desk and I looked at it. Pregnant, it said.

 

Damn.

 

Immediately I took Celes in her arms and held her as she sobbed. I knew that Celes would have to tell her parents. Ted, especially would want to know. He recently talked about wanting to take Celes on a trip through the Colorado Rockies. Ann was already 3 months into her pregnancy and this would not help so much. “When your father gets home you’re going to tell him.” I said when she finally stopped crying.

 

“I have to?” She asked, mortified.

 

“Of course.” I replied. “I told my parents when I was pregnant at 17. They didn’t like it but they didn’t abandon me. Then, when I lost the baby they were so supportive.”

 

“I’m so scared…” Celes whispered. “My father's going to kill me!”

 

“Is Alex the father?” I asked, her boyfriend's name finally came back to me.

 

“Yes.” she said.

 

“Then you should tell him as well.” I suggested and then quickly added. “Maybe both at the same time…” I picked up the phone and started dialing some numbers. Unfortunately, the National Guard wasn’t going to be one of them. Knowing exactly how Ted and Ann were going to react they’d probably be useful when Celes broke the news.

 

“Do you think the Secret Service can keep Dad from killing Alex?” Celes asked me, apparently thinking the same thing I just was.

 

“Probably not.” I replied with a laugh. “The government tried to kill your father already and were unable to. I doubt they'd be successful this time.”

 

 

---

 

 

“Alright team, we did good today.” I said at the end of the day. “At this rate you’ll be working with kids part time and fixing up community centers as well. Having done City Year last year, I can tell you that this is just a small step towards making an impact.”

 

After letting my team go, I walked the short distance to the City Year Office in Little Rock. From the Clinton Library it was just a 2-minute walk. Upon arriving I started filing the paperwork I collected from my team. “So, how did things go?” One of the other PMs asked me.

 

“It was great.” I replied with a grin. “My team is more than ready to get in the classrooms of Little Rock. They have a kind of focus and determination you don’t come across everyday.”

 

“That’s mighty impressive for a first year PM,” said the Program Director. “It’s a good thing we got you when we did.”

 

“Just doing my job is all.” I replied modestly. “Wait, did I say that with a southern twang?”

 

“It happens.” my colleague replied with a laugh.

 

“But I’m from Boston!” I exclaimed. “My mom is probably going to think I’m talking this way on purpose. I love my Boston accent more!”

 

“Just go home and get some sleep, Fin.” The other PM replied. “Or maybe even call Katrin in New York...”

 

“You know...I might just do that.” I said thoughtfully before grabbing my things. I went outside and took the bus to my house in North Little Rock. It didn’t get me there exactly so I still had to walk a little ways. North Little Rock was what Cambridge is to Boston. They shared a river, a stretch of park lands and both were the sites of various City Year projects. I considered myself extra lucky to have gotten a house so close to the historic Central High School. The picture my father took of the school when he was in City Year was taped to his computer at work.

 

“I’m home.” I announced in case my wife, Gina was awake. Hearing no answer, I went to the bedroom and found her asleep. We’d known each other since Kindergarten. We’d even gone to the same College in Boston. City Year was the first time we were separated. I stayed in Boston but Gina went to London, the site of City Year’s first European site. After our first year was over we were reunited in Little Rock; me as a Program Manager and Gina as Alumni Manager.

 

Upon arriving in Little Rock we finally got married and bought the house we were now living in. It was a little hard for the rest of my family to get used to the idea of my living so far away but I’d already made up my mind. Picking up the phone, I made a call to Boston. I was a little surprised when Mark Anthony picked up the phone. “Where is everybody?” I asked him.

 

“Mom and Dad aren’t home yet.” Mark Anthony replied. “Terra and Celes…there’s something going on with them and they’re not telling me…” He sounded nervous. I couldn't remember the last time I heard him sound this way in recent memory. Whatever was going on had to be pretty serious.

 

“If it’s what I think it is then it’s not something to worry about.” I replied, in reference to Mom being Pregnant. “Just tell Dad to call when he comes in, okay?”

 

“Yeah, sure thing.” Mark Anthony said before hanging up.

 

“I wonder what’s up at home?” Fin said to myself. I didn’t really think of it as much but the way Mark Anthony said it made me very curious, if anything else.

 

“Did something happen?” Gina asked without looking up.

 

“I think they just miss me.” I replied with a smile. “I’ll call back later.”

 

---

 

I sat on a park bench in Central Park in New York City. I’d sent my City Year team on their way an hour ago but decided to stay in the park a bit longer. There was something on my mind I just couldn’t stop thinking about. Even though we were thousands of miles from each other, I felt closer than ever to my brother, Fin.

 

He’d married and found love with Gina, of course but we were still very close. It wasn’t like when we were living in Boston last year. It was actually my decision to move to New York—we both needed some time on our own. “Just you wait and see,” I said as the sun slid from view. “I’ll do you proud. I look forward to meeting your City Year team at Cyzygy in Boston.”

 

Gathering my things, I went to my apartment in Manhattan. I’d done my paperwork earlier so I was free to go home. It was a short walk from Central Park, which was almost eight times the size of the Boston Common. Upon arriving I saw one of my roommates enjoying the weather on the steps.

 

“You look sad.” He said. “Are you feeling ok?”

 

“I just miss my brother is all,” I replied. “It’s a twin thing. You wouldn’t get it, John.”

 

“Ah, I see.” He said with a smile. “You know, I’ve got a brother just like you do. Sure, we’re not twins but we do think about each other from time to time.”

 

“Really?” I asked.

 

“Of, course.” John replied. “Why, I think you should call your brother and let him know you’re thinking of him. I’m sure he’s thinking of you, too.” Hearing my cell phone suddenly ring, I excused myself and went inside to answer it.

 

“Katrin, it’s Celes!” the voice exclaimed. “Pregnant—Mom and Dad—Help!”

 

“Slow down a minute.” I cut in. “I can’t understand a word you’re saying. Start over but slowly this time.” What I heard her say next made me forget about Fin instantly.

 

“Katrin, I’m Pregnant!” She exclaimed. “Terra bought a test and the results came back positive! Mom, Dad and Alex don’t know yet and Terra just called him and his parents over. Dad just came home and Mom’s going to be here really soon. What do I do?”

 

“Oh, my God…” I trailed, taking it all in. “Mom and Dad are going to kill you! Well, first Dad's going to kill Alex but that's beside the point. How—what in the world were you thinking?!” I paused. Wait, now I’m yelling her. Not what she needs right now—from me, anyway. “Look, when you’ve finished talking to them I want you to tell Mom to call me. And you ARE going to tell them.”

 

“That’s what Terra said.” said Celes.

 

“And she’s right!” I exclaimed. “There will be no hiding your growing belly in a few months and they'll be hurt more for keeping it from them.”

 

“Ok, I’ll do it.” she sighed and then added before hanging up “Pray for me!”

 

“Believe me, I plan to.” I said as I dialed Fin’s home in Arkansas. He picked up after one ring.

 

“Hey Katie!” he exclaimed. “How are things going for you in the city that never--”

 

“Not now Fin, I have to tell you something important and serious.” I cut in. I then told him everything Celes just told me, almost completely forgetting why I originally called him. Compared to the outrageous things we'd done as kids, he took it well.

 

“Wow, that is bad.” Fin said afterward. “And to think Mom told me this morning she’s having a baby in 6 months. The idea of Celes making her a grandmother is going to break her heart.”

 

“I was just thinking the same thing.” I replied. “If it were you and Gina that would be different but she’s supposed to be the normal one. I told her to have mom call me but I don’t even know if she’ll live to do it.”

 

“Relax, everything will be fine.” Fin said reassuringly. “It's not like either of us could drop what we're doing and fly over there, you know? So, how are things going with you in New York? I know it can get lonely up there.”

 

“How did you know--” I started.

 

“I was thinking about you?” He finished. “We're TWINS, remember? Two sides of the same coin. You and I have always been able to tell what the other is thinking. I love you too, sis.” And that's when I broke down crying.

 

“It hasn't been that long and already it feels like we've been away from each other for a long time.” I finally said.

 

---

 

I sat in my room and stared at the closet door. Dad was home and Alex and his parents had just arrived. Terra was doing her best to keep things calm and organized without telling anyone why they were there--I would be doing that myself. After waiting for almost an hour, Terra knocked softly on the door.

 

“Everyone’s here, Celes.” she said “It’s time.” I got up and walked out of the room. As I passed the bathroom I looked at myself in the mirror and for a moment I saw myself further into my pregnancy. I blinked back tears that started to come and walked into the living room downstairs.

 

I sat down next to my mother, my father sitting on the other side of me. Alex and his parents sat on the sofa opposite us and Terra, Mark Anthony and Serenity sat on a third sofa. I shot a look at Terra, whose expression urged me to get it over with. That's when I really lost it and started crying again. “What's the matter, Celes?” Mom asked. “Why are you so upset?”

 

“She has something she needs to tell you.” said Terra. “I'm not saying what exactly but let's just say that now, she can relate to you.”

 

“What's that supposed to mean?” Dad demanded as he got to his feet and looked at me. “Don't tell me you killed someone...?!”

 

“The opposite, actually.” I replied with a nervous laugh. “I’m pregnant.” That was all I managed to say before Dad grabbed the sword hanging above the mantle. He walked over to where Alex was sitting and thrust it at him. Alex jumped up just in time to avoid getting run through with it. Mom, Mark and Terra jumped on Dad to keep him from chasing Alex around the house. At this point, everyone was yelling and screaming at once—at me and Alex, mostly.

 

“How could you allow that to happen?” Alex’s parents asked him. “We trusted you!”

 

“I can’t believe this.” Mom said. “I’m not angry, just disappointed. And damn it, Terra you could've phrased that better.” After discussing things for the next 2 hours, both of our parents reached a decision. I was going to keep the baby and Alex was going to help me raise it. It was only logical.

 

“Look at it as a test of your relationship.” Mom said. “If you make it then it will show how much you two love each other.”

 

“What if we don't?” Alex asked nervously. I looked at him as if he asked if Dad's sword was authentic or not.

 

“Then I might just have to kill you.” Dad said with a rather sadistic smile.

 

“This…is going to be really hard to explain to tell Katrin and Fin.” said Mark Anthony in a bid to break the awkwardness of the situation.

 

“They already know.” I said.

 

“Somehow, I’m not surprised to hear that.” Mom remarked. “It’s like tell everyone but your parents or something.” When Alex and his parents left, I suddenly remembered to tell Mom to call Katrin, which she did. After the conversation had finished I found out I would be living in New York for the next four months. “Katrin really is concerned about you.” Mom explained. “She thinks some time with her will do you a bit of good and I agree. Of course, when you get back I’ll be 7 months along and you will be 4 months in.”

 

“I’m sorry if this ruins your image.” I said quietly. “I know you just got a new job at City Year and this will probably make you and dad look like hypocrites.”

 

“Who said anything about that?” asked Dad after fixing the chair he broke.

 

“’Lead by example’, remember?” I replied.

 

“Oh, my sweet, special little girl.” Mom said as she hugged me. “That’s not something for you, me or your father to worry about. Though, I do suppose I am curious of the reaction of the network when news gets out. The Corps doesn’t even know I’m expecting myself…”

 

“Then I think it’s time we tell them.” Dad suggested as Terra left to put Serenity to bed. “There is going to be a Community Meeting on Friday. We can do it then.” I felt faint when I heard that. Dad was supposed to give his Life’s Work at this one. I went upstairs to prepare for what I might say. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

 

Considering my parents were letting me and Alex stay together I figured I was lucky. I grabbed the Lunar Blade Dad gave to me four years ago and unsheathed it. I was about to use it to shorten my long, black hair. Up to now it was so long it touched the floor so I kept it tied in a long ponytail. The last time I undid it was the night I made the child now growing inside me. I cut it to my neck and then combed it down. I wanted to look more natural and the long hair would have to go. That, and I still wanted to ask Dad to train me to fight with the sword.

 

“What did you do to yourself?” asked Mark Anthony as he stood in the doorway.

 

“I just cut my hair.” I replied. “What do you think?”

 

“It looks good like that.” He remarked. “You know I don't like to say stuff I don't mean so...yeah.”

 

“Thanks, I hope Katrin likes it, too.” I said with a smile. “So...how do you feel about my making you an uncle?”

 

“I knew you were going to have kids but I didn't think it wouldn't be before Fin or Katrin.” He replied. “You've still got a year of Med School to finish and you're going to have a baby to take care of, too.”

 

“Thanks for the reminder.” I said sarcastically. “Like I really needed you to point out the obvious.”

 

“Sorry, I just couldn't resist.” he said with a laugh. “Seriously though—if you need someone to talk to I'm right across the hall. I know you've got that sword but if anyone tries to mess with you because you're pregnant, you let me know and they'll have to answer to me.”

 

“I might hold you to that someday, Mark.” I replied with a smile. ”It's pretty late and I think I'll go to sleep now. Now, please vacate my room or I may be forced to throw you out.”

 

“Oh, great--now she's hormonal.” He said as he went back to his room.

 

“I heard that!” I exclaimed. He slammed the door before I could tackle him. Furious, I went back to my own room and slammed the door.

 

The next day I went to the City Year office after my last class. I arrived just in time to heard Dad wrap up his story. “Now that you have heard everything I have to say, there is a special announcement I want you all to hear.” Dad said after finishing his story. “For this I need my wife and daughter to come up here.”

 

I felt my heart racing. This was it. I got up and followed my mother to the front of the room. I noticed the looks of surprise on the faces of the Corps Members when they saw me and mom. Apparently, the Corps didn’t know my parents—their bosses--were married.

 

“As some of you may have heard, there was something the staff was keeping from you all,” Mom began. “We did it not only because it wasn’t your business to know but to be frank, also because of a conflict of interest.”

 

“I’m sure you guys have now fully figured out that Ann and I are married.” Said Dad. “Of course, why else could two complete strangers who come and leave work together not know each other?” This resulted in light laughter from the audience. “To get straight to the point, my 16 year-old daughter Celes has something to tell you all.”

 

I felt my face go cold and I felt dizzy. I had no idea my father was going to make me tell both at the same time. The look I caught from him told me to be out with it. “We’re going to have a new addition to the family in 6 months.” I began. “My mom's having a baby, and—“ Cheers and applause erupted from the Corps before I finished the sentence. As soon as the applause died down I finished it. “I'm in Medical School. I finished Grade School four years ago and in my final year. That...and I’m going to be a teen mother in 8 months.” And then I started to cry uncontrollably. A hushed silence fell over the crowd. Nobody said anything and everyone except my parents just looked in shock.

 

“Now, I'm sure you'll all wondering what the kind of parents would make their child do what we just did.” Mom with a rather serious look on her face. “Well, there is more to this story that we kept from you and Celes that we felt should be heard by everyone in this room.”

 

“Some of you know our oldest children, Katrin and Fin.” said Dad. “Well, on the day they were born the city was under the mercy of a powerful storm. At the time I'd just lost my run for City Councilor and we were trying to get to the hospital. Just when it seemed like we were about to be killed, I found a sword and with it, I stopped the disasters.” he then held up a sword I'd never seen before for all to see. I could only look at him in shock—my father was a superhero!?

 

“That's right—Ted Toss is also the one you've all come to know and love as The Aurabolt.” Mom confirmed. “Now that we've cleaned out all the skeletons, we'd like to open up for any questions.” The room remained silent for some time.

 

“Wow, that takes a lot.” someone said.

 

“I’d never be able to do that…” said another.

 

Finally, someone raised a hand. “This question is for Celes. What are you going to do now?”

 

“I’m going to raise the baby with the father.” I replied. “And I’m going to finish Med School on time, too.” Many people applauded the answer. “On the bright side, I'll be a doctor before the baby comes so I might just deliver my own child.”

 

“Celes is well ahead of the rest of her peers right now—she's in college while they're in High School.” Dad explained. “Our oldest daughter, Katrina is a PM in City Year New York. Celes will finish her last year of school in New York and spend some time with her sister.”

 

“I have just one thing to ask you, Celes.” Someone from the back of the room suddenly said. When he walked to the front of the room and took a knee in front of me, everyone was surprised but no one was more surprised than me. “Celeste Ann Toss, will you marry me?” He asked he presented a diamond ring. “When we’re old enough, anyways.”

 

“Of course I will!” I exclaimed, embracing him. “Why wouldn’t I?” This earned another round of applause from the crowd. Somehow, I knew everything was going to be just fine.

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on February 20, 2008
Last Updated on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5