Starmachine 2000

Starmachine 2000

A Chapter by Sadie Cahill
"

A really short story that I was inspired from the song Starmachine 2000 by Wintergatan.

"

“Grandfather, grandfather, what is that?”


A child asks. Brown curls fall from her head, the color of blonde and brown. She smiles brightly to a wizened old man wearing spectacles above his nose.


Before them stood a machine. It churns and beats rhythmically like a heart. Plonk, plonk, beep, beep. Bubble rises from a funnel as it worked its ways falling to the ground around them.


The child was amazed by the sight of the machine. The old man, bent down and smiled at her, “My child, this machine is the Starmachine 2000, a machine that I will give as a gift to those outside this world.”


The child oohed and aahed as she grows silent, satisfied by her grandfather’s answer.



 

“And that’s how it is.” I say, finishing my story to my colleagues, staring at the coffee, the brown reflection reminding me of my past. It tasted bitter in my mouth, but it kept me awake as I have to stay awake to make final adjustments to my machine.


Perhaps it was a pipe dream for my grandfather, but now, I’m making sure that this machine that he had inspired will reach the galaxies.


“No wonder that you’d name it that,” A colleague smiles as he peers up at the machine. “Real piece of work you got here.”


I nod. The higher ups had acknowledged its existence, and have approve sending it to outer space. Yet instead of a toy-like machine, it’s a machine designed to catch pieces of stars and store them in capsules so that when they return, people will be able to study them more.


Like a child that I had been before, I called it:


Starmachine 2000 version 2.



© 2017 Sadie Cahill


Author's Note

Sadie Cahill
Edit:
This short story, also being inspired by Wintergatan's song of the same name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBoLYV1x8Ew
I hope you enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting and well written peep into future times and how things might be. interesting and thought provoking

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 9, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017
Tags: Short Story, Fiction, Flash Fiction, Science Fiction, Wintergatan, Song inspired


Author

Sadie Cahill
Sadie Cahill

Manila, Luzon, Philippines



About
An easygoing person. Would write anything that comes to mind and anything that would. more..

Writing
Lastly Lastly

A Story by Sadie Cahill


Demise Demise

A Poem by Sadie Cahill