Pebbles

Pebbles

A Story by Ben Mills
"

A short story depicting the fragility of family relationships, marriage and the corruption of innocence.

"
I remember, when I was six; before my parent's marriage broke down, before my Father developed an extreme addiction to cocaine, before my Mother's suicide because of my actions; she had a saying: A family can be a fortress, but you only need a pebble to knock it down. I never knew what she meant by this, my young brain had not the capacity to comprehend the wide implications of this sentence; that is, until she educated me through demonstration.
Have you ever seen a man consumed by powder? Simply a fine white powder? My Father was never a violent man, nor the kind of man to raise his voice. Skip forward a couple of years when I'm eight. When I met Daddy's alter-ego.
I remember it clearly, clearer than the glass table top my Father used to inhale his temporary escape from reality. I heard noises coming from Daddy's room, I heard music with naughty words, I heard him shout,
"C**T!"
What's a c**t? I wanted to know, I want to know.
His door was open a crack, a slither of a portal from my small world to his warped enclosure. Curiosity didn't kill the cat but it did murder what I looked up to. When I looked up I didn't see my Daddy, I saw a demon with his face; that very face buried in a white mountain of special snow. His eyes bloodshot. His veins wrapped around his arms like the vines in Jack and the Beanstalk. In his fist he held a shiny straw. The demon growled,
"You. Let me hear more stories about Mummy."
It turns out a c**t is what I am. Daddy made his shiny straw hot with his fire button and hurt me with it. At school Miss Ranger asked me what the red marks on my face were; a few days later men in special uniforms came and took Daddy away. Daddy said it was mine and Mummy's fault.
I shouldn't have told on Mummy.
A year before Daddy was taken away by the big men we had a family party for my seventh birthday. Everyone was there: Auntie Claire and Uncle Toby, Grandma and Granddad, Daddy and his friends, but where were Mummy and Uncle Steve?
I looked everywhere. The kitchen, the living room, all the bedrooms, the dining room. What about outside?
"Mummy? Uncle Steve? We're blowing out my birthday cake."
I received only silence. I thought I should go and shut the shed doors while I was out there or Daddy might be angry.
That's where I found them. 
I'd never heard Mummy call Uncle Steve 'Stevie' before but the closer I got to the shed, her voice screamed that name louder. I thought he was hurting my mummy. I ran to the doors and saw the pebble to my family's fortress. My Mummy was bending over facing me, I could see her boobies flapping around like the sock puppets she bought for me that day. Her pretty flowery jeans were around her ankles where Uncle Steve was kneeling over; he reminded me of the pig in my animal book making those grunting noises. They were both panting and sweaty.
"Mummy, what are you doing?"
When I told Daddy about Mummy and Uncle Steve's exercises he went out for a week. Everyone left my birthday party and Mummy started crying. 
Ten years later my Mother killed herself with a rope and the ceiling fan. I still wonder about her. If she knows where I am. Buried next to her. Ceiling fans and ropes.
More pebbles.

© 2014 Ben Mills


Author's Note

Ben Mills
Any feedback is welcomed, this is my first time showing my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was well done. The childlike words, while normally I'd read something like that and scratch my going asking, "What in the world?" were welcome here. You did a good job portraying the world from the perspective of a child.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ben Mills

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
That plot twist did the job completely. Wow. That indeed is an simple yet overpowering ending you weaved there. Overall, it's really amazing. You captured the innocence of a child in vile situations perfectly and that is congratulatory. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ben Mills

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much, I'm very happy you liked it and thank you for leaving a review, you're the firs.. read more
Jonas

10 Years Ago

Just doing my best to help those aspiring.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 1, 2014
Last Updated on August 3, 2014
Tags: Drama, Family, Dark, Fiction

Author

Ben Mills
Ben Mills

United Kingdom



About
A teenage boy living in Britain pursuing a career in writing and developing his skill. more..