Mile After Mile

Mile After Mile

A Poem by Bayann
"

I wrote this short limerick solely for a history class during my junior year of high school. It refers to the time when the Native Americans were forcibly removed per Ex-President Jackson's request.

"
It once was a peaceful, familiar land, and past generations thought of it grand.

Yet, not everyone saw eye-to-eye, and the Natives were forced to say goodbye.

Often feared and resented, there was nothing they could do, other than walk a long, exhausting trail, tainted in blue.

Despite the Supreme Court's rulings, the Natives were faced with a time rather grueling.

This was known as the 'Indian Removal Act,' but to the innocent Natives, it was more of an attack.

To make matters worse, President Jackson ignored the letter of law, and hardly anyone could oppose this terrible flaw.

Elected as president, he acted as a king, while the rest suffered, tethered by his string.

"Some bound in chains and marched double-file," and many innocent souls perished, mile after mile.

A "trail of tears and death" is what many described it to be, for the Native Americans were never truly free.

© 2024 Bayann


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on August 19, 2024
Last Updated on August 19, 2024

Author

Bayann
Bayann

AZ



About
A girl with a little ambition in a loud world. more..

Writing
Dear Self, Dear Self,

A Poem by Bayann


Can't. Can't.

A Story by Bayann