Episode 33. Myra's Problem

Episode 33. Myra's Problem

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert's guest spells it out.

"
“You said your bathroom was clean?” Myra asks in amusement.

Robert doesn't answer. He's always seen himself as a clean person. Meanwhile, he's finished making breakfast for the two of them. Waffles and sausages. Robert uses real maple syrup with strawberry jam. The table is set and the food is ready to be eaten.

“This looks incredible. Thank you.” Myra smiles for the first time. “The shower was nice too.”

“I'm glad, and it's been no bother either. It's nice having someone around. “

Myra asks simply, “Why aren't you married?”

“That's a long story. But who knows? Maybe I'll find the right girl someday. I don't know,” Robert answers without really saying anything.

“So Myra. What's your plan for today?”

Myra looks down at her plate.

“You don't have to leave. I'm just curious.”

“I'm not sure what to do. I need to do something though.”

“You want to see your kids right? Why can't you just go see them? They're your kids.”

Silence ensues. Robert senses that Myra's ex has moved on and doesn't want her to see the kids anymore.

Robert asks, “So tell me, why are you homeless?”

“My kid's father is not a nice man. He's changed as he got more successful. He got tired of dealing with me.”

“So he kicked you out?”

“No. He found me an apartment several miles from here. It was a decent place over in Hopkins. I lived there and I would get to see the kids during the afternoons after school and a little on the weekends. When I need to get somewhere I take the bus.”

Myra then added, “Gary paid the rent and expenses for six months. He told me I would be responsible for my own expenses after that.”

Robert is disgusted. “So he kicked the mother of his kids out when he found someone else?”

Robert realizes immediately that saying that is likely true, but not really something that Myra wants to hear out loud.

“Myra, I'm sorry.”

Myra covers her face with both hands and takes a deep breath. “The six months came and went. Because of my anxieties I can't really hold a regular job.” Myra's hands and her feet are shaking and she's gone pale.

Myra continues, “I tend to faint. People can make me nervous. But, I've held cleaning jobs, some of them for years. Before Gary and I got married I worked long days cleaning offices and some homes too.”
Myra's voice has become very faint.

Robert notices a determination or stubbornness coming from hid new friend. He asks the obvious question, “Why don't you try that again? I mean, you need income. And, you will probably be entitled to alimony too eventually.”

“Robert! I can't just work when I am able to see my kids. Seeing them is most important. Don't you see that? My kids are most important. I think about them all the time. I'm so worried about them.”

Robert stands up from the table, then confidently tells her, “Myra I've got some ideas that hopefully will help you. But first, I need to go run some errands. I'll be gone for at least a few hours. Can you clean my house? Laundry, dishes, floors, etc.I know it needs it and I pay well. What do you say?”

“Sure Robert. I'd be happy to. You trust me alone in your place?”

He smiles. “I'm not worried Myra.”











© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on April 20, 2024
Last Updated on April 22, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing