Episode 32 Meeting Myra

Episode 32 Meeting Myra

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert meets a homeless woman in despair after leaving a bar.

"
Meeting Myra

“Can I get a whiskey Coke first, please? Robert asks the bartender at the Lean In Club in South Minneapolis. He's looking over a menu while sitting at the bar. It's nearly 6 pm on a Friday evening and Robert's happy to be done with another week.

A few times per month Robert makes a practice of going out for dinner. He is always conscious of drinking alcohol though since his father had become such a bad alcoholic after his divorce. The Lean In Club makes good food and has friendly service too. Robert often walks to the bar, or rides his bicycle rather than risking trouble driving home. It has now been a month since his arrest and questioning by police investigators.

Robert has been thinking of trying to get past his feelings for Marie by meeting someone. He thinks Marie is pretty much perfect, but she deserves better. Robert just wants her to be happy.

After finishing his drink, and his chicken sandwich with tater tots, Robert heads for the door. He walks outside and immediately feels the mid November chill in the Minneapolis evening air. It feels stimulating going from a warm, busy, well lit environment, to a cool, fresh, darkened walk home.

As Robert picks up his pace he notices something unexpected. He sees a scraggly haired, blonde woman of about forty years old sitting on a stone embankment not far from Lean In. She's alone, staring at the ground, and is wearing dirty clothing. She appears to have a duffle bag next to her. Robert slows his pace to view her and can't help but ask, “Are you ok?” She doesn't answer. “Can I help you ma'am?”

Robert waits for a response. She’s forlorn. When he walks closer he notices her shaking. She appears pale and weak. Robert realizes the normal or easy thing would be to just mind his own business and keep walking. But Robert wants to start to mature as a man and actually help others without regard to what he might receive back.

“Do you have anywhere to go?” Roberts asks with empathy.

Finally the woman looks at him and says faintly, “I'm fine. I don't want to bother anyone.”

He continues, “Do you have a place to live? Have you eaten?”

The woman continues her shaking and looks around aimlessly. “No.”

“Are you using drugs? Is that why you're shaking?” Robert uses a kind but inquisitive tone.

“No. I don't use drugs or alcohol.”

He asks her, “But you seem to be shaking. Are you just hungry? Or chilled? It is cold tonight.”

“Sir, I have St Vitus Dance. It's also called Chorea. I have anxiety. I can't help it.”
“Ok. I see that. What is your name?”
“I'm Myra.”
“I'm Robert. Nice to meet you. Do you have any family?”
“Yes. Most of them live out west in Montana. I have family here too but I'm not allowed to see my kids.” Myra starts to weep.
After a moment of quiet, Robert decides to take a chance. “Well Myra. I have an apartment nearby with a comfortable couch. I live alone. I'm certainly no threat to you. I've lived near here my whole life. If you want a warm meal I've got that too. Then, in the morning you can be on your way. There's no reason for you to stay here alone all night. What do you say? It wouldn't be any trouble for me.”
After a moment of indecision, Myra asks, “You don't mind? You don't even know me.”
Robert softly says, “Myra, it's cold out tonight. Let's go.”
“I wasn't expecting this.”
Robert insists. “Come on. Let's go.”
The two of them walk together in silence to Robert's apartment. As they approach the doors to the building Robert says, “Myra, you remind me of a neighbor we had when I was growing up. Her name was Ella.”
“I appreciate this. I don't want to be a bother. I never ask people for anything.”
Robert answers with a smile, “I'll make you something to eat. You're probably starved. The one thing is, don't steal anything from me.That would be the last thing you'd do.”
Myra spends the night peacefully on Robert's couch after eating a bologna sandwich with chips. First thing in the morning, a Saturday, Robert gets up and showers. He dresses and checks on his overnight guest. He's surprised to see Myra awake, alert, and sitting up on the couch. The blankets she used are folded up and she looks ready to start her day.
“Good morning!” Robert is a cheery morning person.
“Hi Robert.” Myra looks apprehensive.
“Sleep ok?”
“Yes thank you.”
Robert approaches her and says sternly, “I'd like you to go take a shower. Then when you're finished I'm going to make you breakfast. I insist. No argument please.” He can't help but smile.
Slowly, she agrees and takes her dufflebag to the bathroom to do as she's been told.
Robert says with some pride, “My bathroom is clean. Don't worry.”










© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on April 12, 2024
Last Updated on April 12, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing