Episode 31  The Lawyer

Episode 31 The Lawyer

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert decides to make contact with a lawyer in advance of a possible legal fight.

"

At break time on Monday morning, Robert uses his phone book's yellow pages under ‘attorneys’ to find a criminal defense attorney. While sitting in his car he calls a lawyer by the name of Darrell Carson. This attorney features a large, yellow, attention getting, ad for the benefit of the unrepresented criminal community- with his photo attached. Robert thinks Darrell looks tough and experienced, so he calls and leaves him a brief voice message.

Later on, Darrell calls back and mentions Robert should stop by his office right after work. During their initial visit that afternoon Darrell mentions attorney-client privilege so Robert can speak freely about what happened regarding his situation. Robert only speaks about the murder of Todd Anderson and his subsequent arrest. He also mentions his friendships with Marie and her father.

Then finally, after pausing, Darrell responds. “First off Robert, the way they arrested you with putting a weapon to your head without any clear evidence is concerning. Second, putting you in a locked room for several hours without telling you anything isn't protocol either. However, I'm pretty sure those detectives must have at least some evidence otherwise they wouldn't have arrested you in the first place. But, their evidence is probably weak.”

Robert is concerned that he's told a complete stranger his culpability to a cold blooded murder. He doesn't want to sit in a prison cell for most or all of his remaining life, but he actually trusts that Darrell has heard it all before and isn't shocked by this confession. Darrell assures him of the confidentiality of their conversation and that if Robert decides to look for another attorney that in of itself wouldn't change the privilege of their conversation.

“Just be careful Robert. These investigators are strong willed and can be a little vicious. I've dealt with these guys a few times. They'll be watching you. They are convinced you killed Todd and had hoped you'd confess. It's good that you didn't tell them anything. And, the reality is, that you have no criminal record, and this Todd was a total loser. It won't take long for these cops to lose interest in you and focus on other crimes.”

Darrell concludes with, “Just call me if anything else happens. I'd be happy to help.”

Robert leaves Darrell's office with a business card and a relative sense of relief.
I'm glad I didn't tell those guys anything!

Later, that night Robert is surprised by a phone call.

“Robert? It's Marie. How are you?”

Robert is speechless. “Ah. Hi.”

“Are you ok? Did those investigators meet with you?”

“Yes they did. On Saturday. Those two were a real treat.”

“Oh ok. Yeah they were. They talked to my dad and me too. They asked lots of questions.”

Awkward silence.

Marie begins again, “Well, I just wanted to say we didn't say much to them. They think I know things but I was pretty quiet. My dad was too I guess.”

“Well good.” Robert says casually. “You guys don't know much anyway so…”

“True.” Marie pauses, then clears her throat.

“Well Robert, this is such a crazy situation. I've never been questioned by cops before. I've never even been pulled over!”

“That doesn't surprise me Marie. You're a good person and you deserve good things.” Robert's voice is low.

“Thank you Robert my friend. You're a good guy. Stop by the store sometime. Anytime. It's always nice to see you.”

“Sure. I'll do that.” Robert lies. He has no intention of visiting the shoe store again.









© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on April 5, 2024
Last Updated on April 5, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing