Existentialism on Prom Night

Existentialism on Prom Night

A Story by BHlives87
"

high school love

"

“You know I am a starting linebacker on Catholic’s football team, which I might add went undefeated this year to take the state title.” He sat there leaning in closely to the young girl. His once clean and freshly starched dress shirt now soaked through with sweat. His tie, crumpled, hung loosely around his neck from the evenings festivities. His breath smelled of Marlboro Menthols and moderately priced whiskey from the flask he kept in his jacket pocket. Leaning closer he, eyes glazed, uttered “coach was telling me the other day, Marc you have the potential to go D1.” In that moment as he clearly focused on her breasts the young girls nagging insecurities were laid bare as he was imagining in her mind. Does he like me? He is actually talking to me. I’m only a freshman. How do I look? He is going to a senior next year. The football team always throws the best parties. I’ll get noticed. I could be popular. I think he wants to sleep with me. No, he does want to sleep with me. Where is Kyle? He is pretty drunk. What time is it? He drives a Mustang. The dance is almost over. He really seems to like me. I could be his girlfriend. As she was thinking another young man of much slighter build slowly approach from behind her. He placed his hand on her shoulder. As he felt her jump slightly in surprise it brought a smile to his lips. She was always so jittery he mused as she turned around to face him. As their eyes made contact she relaxed as she registered the clean shaven face of her date to the dance. He slowly moved from behind her to stand next her he as he focused his attention on lumbering figure across from them. “Marc, how are you? You know your girlfriend Erin is looking for you.” “Well she knows that as soon as I finished my goodbyes we’d met up, so I’d better get going” replied the somewhat irritated Marc. As he left the young girl turned around and said, “You know Kyle we were just talking.” Kyle looked down at her and smiled. And put his arm around hers and said “I believe that’s exactly what Kim, Lauren, Angie, Heather and Tara said too.”
As he shut the car door and walked her up to her front porch she hesitantly said, “you know…. thank you for being so nice by taking me to the prom.” “Eh, don’t worry about it, I you wanted to go so it was the least I could do.” Still” she persisted, “it was really nice of you Kyle.” She leaned in and closed her eyes for a kiss. When he failed to return it she felt embarrassed. She wanted to feel wanted. He quickly said, “its not you at all. I’m just weird about these things; I just like to take tings slow.” He squeezed her hand tight and then he shuffled down the sidewalk towards his car, pausing only to smile back at her before he left. She walked in the door. She took off her heels. And sat down and thought to herself. Half an hour later a Mustang pulled into her driveway.

© 2008 BHlives87


Author's Note

BHlives87
ignore grammer

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did an nice job of developing your characters. You also caught the essence of how young girls (and guys too) can be so easily swayed by someones affection. She was on at date....another guy makes her think of other possibilities. Than back to her date again....wants to be kissed by him. Then the twist at the end. I liked this very much. Nice read!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
1 Review
Added on May 26, 2008