That Which Isn't...

That Which Isn't...

A Chapter by Alexander Z. Anthony
"

A companion.

"

That Which Isn't...

(Note* If you have not, I suggest starting with The Prologue, below. Thanks.)

 

Long after the immortal flame retired from the sky, allowing darkness to descend over the river and its surroundings, he lay restless. Awake. The subtropical world buzzed around him, dancing to its own tune of life, and death. Of predator and prey. The energy of millions of lifeforms filled the air. All of this he felt, but did not desire to. Later, perhaps, but not now. Now was a time for rest, for rejuvenation of both mind and soul. The long moments passed, time seeming to slow, almost to a stop before he let go and slipped into a fitful sleep, as the world around him buzzed quietly, continuing its dance. His body slept, but his mind did not. It was searching. Searching for something. Something it lacked in waking. A companion perhaps? Another to accompany it and him. Another, that understood It. That understood Him. In the concscious, his mind was limited. Restrained. Yet, here in the subconscious, it was not. It was free. To roam. To search. And here, in the subconscious did it find a companion. A companion that not only understood It, but Him as well. A companion, that It could understand in return. His sleep grew restful. Calm. His mind was at ease. It had found a companion. The hours of dark passed. The world danced to its tune, until the growing light approached. The hours of dark ended. The immortal flame rose mighty and proud, taking back that which it had reliquished. The life of night receded, the life of day swelled. As the immortal flame rose, so did he. Rested. Alert. Content. But, as his mind awoke, it left the subconscious, returning to the conscious. And as it did, it left its companion behind, realizing only to late, that she could not follow. For she was not a creation of this world. A creation of substance. Of solidity. She, was but a creation of his mind’s desire. A pleasant, comforting thought. Nothing more. Nothing less. The immortal fire rose higher into the sky, burning away the remnants of His calm. His ease. His companion. And so, he despaired.



© 2010 Alexander Z. Anthony


Author's Note

Alexander Z. Anthony
Open for all input.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very intriguing. :) I really liked the line "The life of night receded, the life of day swelled." Excellent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's still rather mysterious. Your story hints to something but it also leaves you curious to think just who is this man.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2010
Last Updated on June 30, 2010


Author

Alexander Z. Anthony
Alexander Z. Anthony

Tampa, FL



About
Hey. I'd rather not describe myself in a little box. I'd rather let my writing do the talking. "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost." -The Fellowship Of The Ri.. more..

Writing