Back To You

Back To You

A Story by Fictional Fabricator
"

A young woman meets a sailor and begin a romance until he's called back to duty. During their time apart, they bond thru a dream.

"

You were a sailor when I met you, off for one night before heading out again. We spent the night talking about the temperamental seas and the struggles of working in such conditions. As we walked along the shore passing by the dock, we spotted one in the shape of a canoe. 


Spending time around it admiring its design, you suggested to me if I ever wanted to wait for your return, this could be our meeting spot. You gave your word that you'd always come to look for me here first. Or even if I passed a lonely moment and was thinking of you, I could come out here and call out your name into the wind. You were sure, my voice would sail across the sea with the wind no matter the weather, and you would hear me and know that I was near. Oh what a romantic you are.


With the rising of the next sun, we parted ways. I knew not for how long. I did not wish to think it would be our last meeting. But so as not to take chances I hugged you close to me tight taking in the salty fresh scent of you. Please bring him back to me I implored the sea gods, hoping against everything they would hear me and grant my wish.


So days became weeks, and you still had not returned. I would walk along the beach and stare up to the lonely dark watchtower that stood solid and sure upon the rocks. I watched it's light reflect on the calm waves of the sea. Yet still no sign of you. I walked back to our meeting spot and sat there waiting by flashlight as I wrote poems and songs about you, while the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and the birds that flew by night together created a lovely tune to follow.


It was there that my eyes grew weary with sleep. It was also there that I first dreamed of you. There was a girl that held a magical star-dusted book in hand, ready to tell your story. 

When she blew out the glitter to me, something happened to me and I became part of the sea. I went in search of you. The waves of my hair tossed and rocked many a boat at sea I came across, but none belonged to you. The turbulent waves became my impatient desire to find you and bring you back home.


Instead it caused the whales to rise to the surface and leap out of the sea and crash back in as they took a quick moment to breathe all the while the waves tossed and curled, crashed and twirled within each other. 


I spotted a small boat in the distance resting peacefully still. But when I reached upon it, there hanging on to the sides of the ship were a few selkies that spied upon all the men on the boat. Some were even singing a mesmerizing tune. They'd managed to seduce one man and claimed him for their own, pulling him into his watery grave.


I became jealous and the violent ripples in the waves I caused, tossed the boat about causing one more whale to rise to the surface, slam its tail upon the surface of the sea that sent the selkies flying thru the air only to land back in some distant shores.


My gusts of air I caused to stir about enveloped the whale into a hug of gratitude. The whale spurt a fountain of water from its blowhole then returned itself to the deep. 

I saw your gentle smile play upon your lips letting me know you knew somehow it was me trying to gain your attention. Indeed I had it. For come the next morning, I heard the sound of a distant horn. You found me in our meeting place fast asleep. You woke me with a sweet kiss. 


"Oh what an extraordinary last night I passed at sea" you said. "You came for me by force of the winds. The selkies told a story of a maiden tried and true who waited by the shore for our urgent return. Oh, but this maiden had command of the sea and winds and sent them far and away. Curious of this tale, I turned my boat around in hopes of learning the truth of the matter, and here I find the sea was for once a friend to me, that brought me back to you.

 

© 2024 Fictional Fabricator


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on August 27, 2024
Last Updated on August 27, 2024
Tags: dream, lovers, sea

Author

Fictional Fabricator
Fictional Fabricator

About
avid reader, sometimes a writer myself. more..

Writing