Thunder

Thunder

A Chapter by Aly Skeens

“Should we go?” He whispered to me as the wind jostled his hair.

            I looked at him and searched my mind for answers. There wasn’t a reason that we shouldn’t, actually, there were more reasons why we should. No one would know we were gone. No one would even care. “We can’t.” I whispered back.

            His eyes fell a little, “Don’t we have to?” He asked.

            Again, I looked at him, “Maybe you have to, but I don’t, I can’t.” I couldn’t just pick up and leave, no matter what had happened here.

            I saw an ounce of pain fill his eyes, and then it was gone. “You’re right, you don’t have to, but I want you to.” He said looking straight into my eyes. The wind blew his familiar scent at me as he said those words and I felt a longing. I wanted to go, but my heart knew it couldn’t. There was something keeping me here.

            “I’m sorry, Zach, you’re going to have to do this one on your own.” I said and again I watched his face fill of different emotions and settle on one.

            “Is there anything I can do to change your mind? Anything.” He said as he started to stand up from the ground where we sat. I looked down, wanting more than anything to tell him I’d go, but not being able too.

            “Nothing.” I said.

            I looked up at him and he simply shook his head. “His blue eyes were filled with confusion and acceptance. “Okay. I guess I’ll see you…” He paused. Our usual goodbyes didn’t work here. I’d probably never see him again, what were we supposed to say? I’d never see him again. That stung.

“Someday.” I finished. He shook his head in agreement. He turned and headed for the street. As my best friend walked out of my life, the sky let loose it’s rage. Rain fell and thunder shook the Earth. I watched him stop on the sidewalk as a tiny black car pulled beside him. He turned to me with a pain filled look in his eyes. He slowly lifted his hand to wave and I did too. A sad smile came to his eyes and the world fell into slow motion. Then a loud roar of thunder deafened me and I watched him fall to the ground in agony.

I felt my legs carry me toward him, but two masked men wearing black grabbed him and tossed him into the car. Before I had run two feet they were gone. Gone. What had just happened? All I knew was, that hadn’t been thunder, he’d been shot, and my best friend had just been kidnapped.

 

Panic. That’s all my mind could register. Was this a dream? Had that shot killed him? Could I save him? I knew I couldn’t, but I couldn’t tell myself that. Where were they taking him? What were they doing with him? I felt myself drop to the ground in confusion. What I had witnessed, my brain couldn’t fully process. I started shouting random things at the sky. The rain still poured and I was soaked. I finally pulled my shaking body off the ground and managed to get into my house. Inside, the silence disturbed me. No one would be here again. I was alone. Forever.

I curled into a ball on the floor and shook. He couldn’t really be gone. This couldn’t have really happened. I felt myself roll up the sleeves on my shirt. Bruises covered both my arms, battle wounds. Zach had saved me. I hadn’t saved him. I felt myself scream again. I was afraid for Zach, but I was afraid for myself too. Zach was strong, much stronger than me, and that’s why I worried for myself. He’d gotten rid of my abusive father. That’s why he was leaving. Saving me might have cost him his life. He’d saved me for nothing. I’d go crazy here alone. I’d go crazy without him. 



© 2013 Aly Skeens


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! Intense. I like the way it switched towards the end from a break-up to a kidnap. And just when I was expecting him to walk off into the sunset, he gets shot. Is this a fantasy about an ex-boyfriend :D I like your writing. I'm on chapter 13 of my novel and know how tricky it can be to stick with but you should definitely keep on writing. I look forward to reading your next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The way the narrator's thoughts get jumbled near the end was an excellent touch and I enjoy how short and precise the sentences get. I certainly look forward to reading more of this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! Intense. I like the way it switched towards the end from a break-up to a kidnap. And just when I was expecting him to walk off into the sunset, he gets shot. Is this a fantasy about an ex-boyfriend :D I like your writing. I'm on chapter 13 of my novel and know how tricky it can be to stick with but you should definitely keep on writing. I look forward to reading your next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2012
Last Updated on May 24, 2013