Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Draven

You never really know the value of a person you have until the moment you lose them. You never truly appreciate them, and when they're gone you cry. You cry because you miss them, you cry because there so many things you never said to them. Why do we wait till death to say what we feel? Why do we remain silent about things that matter? Before you know it, it's too late.





I sat in the barn, leaned up against the wall, staring at the hay covering the ground. I rested my head in my hands, hiding my face from the world. Shame pulled at my chest, making my heart throb.

Otlam walked in and stood in front of me. When I looked up I saw that he had a white sword in his hands. It had a three foot long blade that shimmered a silver white. The pommel was a star that looked like rays of light were exploding from it in four directions.

"It gets better," he said to me, "even though you think it won't."

"What will?"

"The pain of losing her."

Anger boiled inside me, "Losing her? It's my fault that she's dead."

Otlam shook his head, "You shouldn't think that way. It's not your fault."

My eyes glared at him with great intensity, a storm of fire flashing within them. My veins felt as if they harbored magma. "It isn't?! That arrow was meant for me! If I wouldn't have moved she'd still be alive! I screwed up and now she's dead! Dead! All because of me!"

"You didn't know," Otlam said calmly.

"I promised her I would always protect her, and I failed. I should've been the one to die. Not her."

He looked down at me and I knew that he empathized with me, but I couldn't let him be close. Not with what I had done. Not with the monster I was.

"I wanted to give you this," he said, handing me the sword. It was a comfortable weight in my hands. "Its Details show that it belongs to you. It was in Mili's Inventory when she died. She must've been waiting to give it to you. It has another previous owner too, and I think it was her brother. It's name is Morning Star." He stood for a moment in silence before he asked, "What will you do now?"

"I have to avenge Mili. I can't let them get away with that."

"I can't go with you, my responsibility is here with my people." He opens the door and before he steps out he looks back over his shoulder, "I know I can't convince you, but it really isn't your fault. But if you ever need me, you know where I am. Be careful with what you're doing. I have enough dead friends. I don't need you on that list too." The door closed behind him as he left.






I rested against the tree behind me, brushing my hand over the shaded grass. It was cool to the touch. The plain seemed so empty to me now, almost lifeless under the hidden sun. Even the breeze seemed dull.

From behind me came Vince. He was a fourteen year old kid, short for his age, cloaked and hooded in black. "Hey, you okay? You look like you've just walked out of hell."

"I'm fine," I answered.

"I haven't seen you in a long time, almost six months. Not since you left the group. We thought you just needed time, but then you never came back."

"I guess I needed to be alone."

"What about now?"

"Now I have work to do. I have a favor yo ask."

He had his face covered but I knew the questioning look I was being given. I never asked for his type of service. "What sort of favor?" he asked.

"Your tracking skill is nearly maxed out, and you can track players as well as creatures."

"Who are you after?"

I shook my head and handed him the arrow that had pierced Mili. "All I have is this. I know nothing else."

"I'll find them," he said, "but whatever you do, play safe. What we used to do here before the virus was one thing. It's different now, and what we do here will affect us in the real world too when all this is over and we can go home."

"I don't think I'll need to worry about that problem. Just message me when it's done."

He nodded, "I'll see you soon."





How many stars are up in the sky? I was told that stars are angels up high, watching over us. It's comforting, in a way, to think that we're always being protected. But I was lucky, and I got to meet an angel. Mili was so pure of heart, so innocent, and my mistake lead to her death. People say it's not my fault, but who's is it then? The bandits attacked, but I broke my promise, I failed to save her. We are all responsible, we all deserve to die. Perhaps I deserve it more than them. I have inflicted wounds in people that they will carry with them the rest of their life. We are monsters, the bandits and I. They will die by my hand, and I will not live long after.


© 2014 Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 12, 2014
Last Updated on June 12, 2014


Author

Draven
Draven

Mount Sterling, KY



About
Hi, I'm Draven. I'm a father, philosopher, artist, writer, poet, and musician. I have a passion for the world and a deep love of all people in it. These are pieces of poetry or bits of writing t.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven