My Town

My Town

A Chapter by Anthony

Everyone thinks young people are too young to become married. They all have their own fears about things in life. They voice some of these fears, while they reserve others to themselves. People mature at different rates and some know what they want in life, while others may not. In this way the play is like life in my town. Or what I’ve seen of it at least.

                Some people make plans for after school, others may not. They may change their minds, for some reason or another.  Whether the reason is trivial or not, people decide their lives as the specific incidents of the times come to them. As the incidents in life come upon a person, they must choose a path and follow it wherever it leads them. This is the cycle that every life follows.

                Our Town is a play on the lives of the residents of a small town. It shows us how some of the lives in the town could of played out. In Act I, the stage manager introduces the characters and sets the play into the mind of the reader. In Act II, the writer shows us the marriage and beginning of a young couple, George and Emily, two of the children of the Gibbs and Webb families. The families express the fears that all people have, and both George’s mother, and Emily’s father had to make their children take a breath and collect themselves before the ceremony came underway. Both of them were nervous and scared about what being married would do to their lives.

                The same is probably true about a young couple from my town. They’d be nervous, and they’d have to be calmed. But in the end, if they truly have feelings for one another, they should be just fine. Things in modern times have developed more of a materialistic feel. If something isn’t tangible, it must not be useful or needed. Emotions, thoughts, and ideas are all intangible things. The materialistic needs of modern people have changed how they feel when it comes to something like marriage, especially when the marriage involves young people. They believe that young people don’t have the things necessary to be prepared for a married life, that they need things to be ready. A few still believe that all a couple needs are their feelings to be happy in life.

                Our Town is a lot like how my town might be. Perhaps, more than I can even realize. But it also shows how much, as well as how little, life can change throughout the years. Some things no longer exist, while new things have been created. Life is the same as it used to be, just different for those who know how things used to be.


© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is true town ppl have different mindsets
in our town child marriage was very popular in olden times they used to get married at very small age...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

547 Views
1 Review
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony