Government Systems Essay

Government Systems Essay

A Chapter by Anthony
"

500 Word Essay

"

The three different systems of government (Unitary, Federal, and Confederate) have varying advantages and disadvantages. Unitary governments are often described as centralized governments. It is a government in which all powers are held by a single, central agency. Most governments in the world are unitary. A Federal government is one in which the powers are divided between a central government and several local governments.  The United States is an example of a Federal government. A Confederate government is an alliance of independent states.  A central agency has the power to handle only those matters assigned to it by the member states.  The Confederate States of America was an example of a Confederate government.

Unitary governments are often described as centralized governments. It is a government in which all powers are held by a single, central agency. Unitary governments have some advantages in how they operate, such as; uniform policies, laws, enforcement, and administration throughout the country, less duplication of services and fewer conflicts between national and local governments, as well as having greater unity and stability. Unitary governments also have some disadvantages with how they operate, such as; the central government being out of touch with local concerns, being slow in responding to local issues, and if the central government gets too involved in local problems it may not be able to meet the needs of all of its citizens.

A Federal government is one in which the powers are divided between a central government and several local governments.  Both levels of government act directly on the people through their own sets of laws, officials and agencies. A federal government has its advantages, such as; federal unity but local governments handle local problems, local governments and officials have to be responsive to the people who elect them, the central government can devote more time and energy to national and international issues, and more opportunities for participation in decisions. A federal government also has its disadvantages, such as; duplication of services, disputes over power and national supremacy versus state rights, international relations (states may pass laws that counter national policy), citizens living in different parts of the country will be treated differently in such things as spending programs and the legal system.

A Confederate government is an alliance of independent states. A central agency has the power to handle matters assigned to it by the member states.  Confederate governments have advantages, as well as disadvantages. A couple of the advantages of having a Confederate government are that it keeps the power at local levels preventing the growth of a large central government, and it makes it possible for the several states to cooperate in manners of common concern and also retain their separate identities. Whereas, a couple of the disadvantages are the weakness of the central government which makes it unable to enforce laws or collect taxes and a lack of unity and common laws.

All systems of government have their advantages and disadvantages. It is up to the people to decide which type of government will suit their needs the best. Whether it a government with a strong central government, a government that divides its powers equally between national and local levels, or a government that gives local governments the most power. The people will have to decide which type will suit their needs the best at that time. For Example, the United States government began as a Confederacy and evolved into a Federacy as its needs changed. All types of governments have their good aspects as well as the bad, but ultimately it’s up to the needs of the people that will decide what type of government is needed.


© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you very much for such a fundamental and interesting essay. As a fan of the libertarian theory of statehood, I can say that we must resist the state interfering in our lives. We should be freer.

Posted 3 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
"All systems of government have their advantages and disadvantages." The important question, in my opinion, is who that advantages and disadvantages effect. Too often money and power corrupt politics so that the people who gain the most are the ones who already have the most. A frank discussion on this issue would be very refreshing for many people, perhaps the majority of the entire world populace.

The very fact that you mention "preventing the growth of a large central government" alludes to these problems, I feel.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23131 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony