Using Standard English

Using Standard English

A Chapter by Anthony

Language is a systematic use of a body of words to communicate. Language is arbitrary, as it changes with whoever’s using it. Language changes in different ways; it is influenced by religion, location, age, education and more. There are many types of language, slang and jargon being a couple of them.  Jargon is a form of language based around a particular profession or skill. Slang is new words or new meanings to old words. Slang is used in extremely casual conversation, and should only be used in such a situation. It should only be used in such a lax conversation, because the meanings are so differential that not everyone understands the meaning intended. As such, there are many advantages to developing good language skills and learning the standard usage of whichever language you are using. It will allow you to understand more of the different dialects if you understand the standard for the language better than if you just learned a particular dialect. Learning the standard of a language shows the willingness to understand the language itself, which could help you in procuring a job, sale, or some other such object, that good communication can bring you.



© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony