Describing Poetry

Describing Poetry

A Chapter by Anthony

Poetry differs from other literary works in that it provides a compressed story in both figurative and literal meanings. It pays more attention to the effects of sound, makes associations between two or more things, usually in an unexpected way, presents more complex material(usually due to the fact that poetry is a compressed story),  creates a tension by using its form and effects to make the reader expect one thing and it’s different from what actually happens. Poetry relies on using irony and ambiguity to involve the reader more into the sense and meaning of the poem’s tale.  In using effects such as alliteration, consonance, onomatopoeia to provide more meaning and feeling to the poem’s compressed form. Poetry’s form is different from prose in that, poetry tells as much of a story as a prose can, but in a compressed form. It usually also has a figurative and literal meaning, whereas prose usually only means what it says.   



© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2122 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony