Not a straight line!

Not a straight line!

A Story by Aarti Sriram

He had grown rich and famous . He had a comfortable life and was going the family way. His wife  was pregnant and he thought her love was different. How  excited she was everytime she felt a kick in her womb. Every time the foetus  moved she loved it more. Even his old parents wished for the  grand child moment when they would finally hold the bundle of joy for the first time. Soon a healthy girl was born and  life went on.


He barely had any time for his  family and many other unwanted  priorities took over him.   When  he saw that his five year old girl could never draw a straight line he wished she had genetically inherited his and his fathers artistry.  He  also believed  he was’nt strict enough and she not good already.


His wife reminded him how his father had  practiced painting and spent a lot of time encouraging and teaching him  as a child to paint too and consequently  he  went on to become a renowned painter. She also knew how his father wished that the son would similarly carry on and pass down life skills and art to the next  generation. Their daughter was so little and with no guidance to draw .


Some years later his daugther breathed slowly on the hospital bed. As she drew oxygen from the ventilator  he begged his stars that she make another zigzag  line on the ECG ,wished its never a straight line but a crooked one !!

His father came to bid goodbye to his wonderful granddaughter and consoled him . “I gave my time to painting and my life teaching you and being there for you , how did you lose your child and art for nothing my son”…his father cried.

© 2024 Aarti Sriram


Author's Note

Aarti Sriram
First short story, learning to write and looking forward for your reviews and any corrections and suggestions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

We believe in our inheritance more than our own children, sometimes God just has other plans... sad and thought provoking write...
Keep writing!

Posted 13 Hours Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 18, 2024
Last Updated on October 18, 2024

Author

Aarti Sriram
Aarti Sriram

Netherlands



About
I am re-discovering life and more free time as an empty nester. Recalling so many days, giggles, events and emotions as I go about my day. Children bring a whole album of meaning, structure , strengt.. more..

Writing