Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Eleven

Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Eleven

A Story by ~AnnaCentric~
"

Dreams come true...

"

Deliver Me Safely

Chapter Eleven

 

Laval, France �" Four days later

      Villagers gather round the wagon as it drives into the city. Everyone’s eyes are on Serenity; looks of disbelief and some with anger. A few boo her; others demand an explanation for her return. All are waiting with intense anticipation. Etienne goes to the town square and then stops the horses. They whine and buck, and then settle. He gets down to the ground and hands the key to Leon, who goes and opens the cage. He helps Serenity down, and then leads her to stand next to the priest and Valere. Valere’s hands are folded in front of him, glancing about the crowd.

      “Silence! Silence, please!” he calls.

      When the villagers don’t relax, he whistles with his thumb and forefinger placed in the front of his mouth. It is loud, and everyone ceases quarrelling. Valere bobs his head at Etienne, who nods back in thanks. Etienne faces the crowd and steps forward.

      “Everyone, it is with great sorrow that I come and tell you that this girl was not a witch,” he raises his voice so all the villagers could hear him. “She was taken by an accomplice of the Devil.”

Some villagers gasp, others whisper, and others merely stare in horror.

      “This is true,” Etienne continues. “She has suffered greatly, but the demon has been vanquished, and she is now free of it. And now…as the high priest of Laval, I must take responsibility for the false imprisonment of the girl.”

He looks at Serenity.

      “With much optimism, I hope you can come to forgive me as well as the Church. And that you’ll continue to be God’s servant.”

      Je vais certainement. I certainly will,” Serenity answers, holding her head high.

      Leon’s hand is entwined in hers, and she finds it elating. They peer at each other with smiles on their faces. Little by little, the crowd disappates, silently. There is a lot of awkward feelings, and the air is dense. It doesn’t happen, if at all, that an alleged wich is pronounced innocent and set free. Valere stands in front in front of Serenity, offering her his hand. Serenity, after looking at it a moment, accepts the friendly gesture and shakes it.

      “It was a pleasure to meet you, little lady,” he says, winking at her.

Serenity rolls her eyes, but giggls in spite of herself. Then she turns to Etienne.

      “What am I to do now that I am free?” she asks.

      “Anything you wish, I suppose,” the priest responds, shrugging his shoulders.

      Etienne and Valere decide that it is time to part, and they hope she visits them on occasion. Serenity promises she will, and then bids them farewell. The two disappear in the distance.

 

      Leon places his hands on the girl’s shoulders, looking into her eyes. They shine in the perfect light.

      “What do you plan to do now?” he questions her.

      “Perhaps I should ask you the same thing?” Serenity says. “Leon, I want to be with you. And I know you want to be with me.”

      “How can you tell?”

Leon gives an embarrassed smile.

      “You think it wasn’t obvious?” Serenity laughs. “I could tell the first time we spoke.”

Leon chuckled low and brings her into a warm embrace, his hands at her waist.

      “Then I guess I don’t have to ask if you’d kick me to the curb,” he implies.

      “But there’s still something I want you to ask me.”

      It is obvious to Leon. He lets go of her and goes down on one knee, holding her hands in his. He looks up into her beautiful eyes.

      “Serenity,” he coos. “will you marry me?”

      Serenity sighs in relief, “Oh, Leon, of course I will.”

      With a jolt of happiness, Leon springs up and wraps his arms around Serenity, picking her off the ground and twirling her. Serenity squeals in delight. They laugh together, and then Leon brings her down.

      “I’ve longed for this for the last eight days,” Leon admits.

      In response, Serenity presses their lips together. She loses her eyes, moaning lightly. Leon rocks her back and forth gently. When she breaks the kiss, her hand sweeps across his forehead, his cheek.

      Je t’aime, I love you,” she tells him.

      “I love, too.”

© 2012 ~AnnaCentric~


Author's Note

~AnnaCentric~
ignore grammar errors

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on October 30, 2012
Last Updated on October 30, 2012

Author

~AnnaCentric~
~AnnaCentric~

Cameron Park, CA



About
I've been interested in writing since my sophomore year of high school. My topics of writing normally circle around Europe in the 13-1400's (at the time of the Black Death), but lately I've been dippi.. more..

Writing
Kyoto Kyoto

A Poem by ~AnnaCentric~