Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Six

Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Six

A Story by ~AnnaCentric~
"

Serenity has a dream and shares a secret with Leon.

"

Deliver Me Safely

Chapter Six

 

      The witch is daydreaming, staring blankly out the other side of the cage. No, it is more of a nightmare.

      She sees herself standing among others. The people have no faces. Somehow, she can tell that they are glaring at her. The lack of features makes her feel uneasy. She backs away from the faceless strangers, whose heads move with her movement. She bumps into something, and feels to see what it is. It feels scaly, like a reptile. She freezes, afraid to face it. It is Him, a force she cannot escape from. Now the dream makes sense. Once again, He is reminding her of why she is an alleged witch. Something is crawling towards her at her side. A low moan is heard. She forces herself to look in the direction of the movement. Her eyes grow wide with terror; it is her mother, someone she hasn’t seen since the Black Death began. She remembers her mother’s death was most gruesome; stabbed to death by her drunken father. It is hard to look at her, but He will not allow her to look away. Her mother looks up into her blue eyes, and she hers. Tears of blood run down her mother’s cheeks.

      “Serenity…,” she mutters in a low, pained voice.

      The witch reaches out for her. But suddenly, a strong wind pushes her away. She struggles against the wind to get to her mother, but it is in vain.

She bursts back into to reality, making small gasps for breath. She glances about her, and it takes a moment for her to remember where she is and why. The sky is dark now. How long had she been dreaming? Recalling a small excerpt of her dream, she lies in thought of its meaning.

      “Serenity…,” her mother’s voice rings in her brain.

       Serenity? The witch ponders.

      It had been so long since anyone had called her by her real name, instead of “witch”. Truthfully, she had nearly forgotten if she even had a name. The word seemed unfitting to her now; she didn’t need her name. Yet it also seemed so appropriate that she be called it.

      Yes, that’s right. My name… My name is…

      “Serenity,” She says her own name out loud.

 

      “Serenity, eh?” a voice, Leon’s, comes from behind her. “That’s your name, is it not?”

The witch, no, Serenity does not face him. She does not have the will.

      “It… It is,” she affirms.

      “It is a beautiful name,” Leon compliments. “for a beautiful girl.”

      Serenity rotates in slight surprise and looks at him. A light breathe leaves her mouth as she takes in his words. She blushes a light pink and smiles unconsciously. Then she watches as he takes out the brass key that opens the cage. He goes to the back and unlocks the steel door. Serenity’s eyes grow wide. Leon offers her his hand.

      “What…? Why?” Serenity breathes.

      “Do my reasons matter to you?” Leon asks.

      Oui, ils le font. Yes, they do.”

      “Why? I am offering you the chance to be free. What more do you require?”

      “I…” Serenity stops, lost in thought.

Leon raises an eyebrow, and his hand drops.

      “I cannot leave, Leon,” She tells him. “There are things that must be done.”

      “You will be burned at the stake if we are to deliver you!” Leon growls. “Don’t you understand?”

      Je comprends ça! I understand that! But I just can’t leave.”

There is an awkward silence between them. Serenity sits cross-legged and lays her head on her palm.

      “Do you not fear death?” Leon interrogates.

      “It is not death that I fear, Leon.” Serenity sighs. “It is…is…being lost in the dark forever.”

      “’Lost in the dark’? Qu'est-ce que cela signifie? What does that mean?”

      “Do not ask me anything more. You are tormenting me.”

      “I want to know, woman!”

Serenity’s head shoots up. Her eyes are wide with anger. She whips out and grabs the bars of her cage.

      “There are forces, dark forces that are involved in this situation! Forces that you cannot ever hope to understand!” she exclaims.

Leon is taken aback. He studies her face for an answer. Serenity sighs and slumps back.

      “Please do not think of trying to understand me. It would be dangerous to inquire the unknown.”

She turns her back to him. Leon does not leave. He stares at her back, concerned.

      “Serenity,” he whispers under his breathes. “Are you suggesting the Devil is within you?”

Serenity turns her head slightly.

      “No,” she renounces. “Perhaps it is similar, but nonetheless different.”

      “What are you saying?” Is there some sort of demon involved?”

Now, she is silent. She wonders if it would be right to tell him. She knows she cannot keep it a secret forever.

      Dites-moi la vérité. Tell me the truth,” Leon demands. “Is there a demon involved in this?”

      Should I tell him? Serenity asks herself.

She exhales.

      “Yes, there is.”

      “Why didn’t you tell us before?!” Leon bellows, suddenly losing his cool.

      “Because it would not allow me!” Serenity snaps at him, whirling around.

      Leon takes this into consideration. He takes a step forward. He offers Serenity his hand once again. Serenity stares at his hand in confusion.

      “What are you doing?” she asks.

      “You must tell the priest this yourself. He will exercise the demon.”

She shakes her head vigorously, fearfully.

      “You want to be free, don’t you!” Leon says.

      “I do, I do,” Serenity comfirms. “But it is powerful. It will not let me go.”

      “Then I will force you to him myself.”

      Leon gets into the cage and grabs Serenity by her arm. Suddenly, as if being controlled by another entity, she lashes out against him. A low, animal-like growl leaves her mouth. Leon peers into her eyes; they are wild and bloodthristy. It sends a chill down his spine. With brute force, Serenity takes him by the waist and throws his out of the cage. It sends Leon in shock, and he cannot move. He lays there, dazed, his back on the ground.

© 2012 ~AnnaCentric~


Author's Note

~AnnaCentric~
is the sory too obvious?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on October 23, 2012
Last Updated on October 23, 2012

Author

~AnnaCentric~
~AnnaCentric~

Cameron Park, CA



About
I've been interested in writing since my sophomore year of high school. My topics of writing normally circle around Europe in the 13-1400's (at the time of the Black Death), but lately I've been dippi.. more..

Writing
Kyoto Kyoto

A Poem by ~AnnaCentric~