Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Emi

Chapter 9

 


Zach was beaming the next day, not only from the date, but from seeing Gwen in action afterward. Kate noticed his uncharacteristic merriment during lunch so Gwen had to explain the excitement from last night.

“Personally I think he’s got the right idea,” Zach told them. “My dad’s a detective and you’d do the JPD some good.”

“Yeah, right,” she laughed. “I’m sure a Hex expert is just what they’re looking for and besides I’m more of a counsellor than anything else.”

“A pretty good one from what I witnessed,” he added.

“She is now, you should have seen her a couple of years ago,” Kate said lightly.

“Katie!” Gwen said horrified.

“What?” she asked. “He’s your boyfriend now, what’s wrong with him hearing about your awkward faze?”

“Would you like me to start calling you the M word on a regular basis?” Gwen threatened.

Kate paled.

“You wouldn’t dare.”

Her expression said she just might.

“Hey, hey it’s okay,” Zach said hastily. “You don’t have to tell me if it bothers you.”

Gwen gazed at her hands flustered.

“It’s not that,” she said. “I’m embarrassed, the clumsy act I use for school wasn’t always an act.”

Zach wrapped an arm around her and gently kissed her on the forehead.

“You don’t need to be perfect, nobody should have that kind of weight on their shoulders.”

Gwen sighed, then grinned.

“There was the time you nearly busted your arm,” Kate interrupted suddenly. “Does that qualify as embarrassing?”

“Ugh no, but it is something I’d rather forget,” Gwen replied with her face in her hands.

“What happened?” he asked curiously.

“I had a tough time with my abilities when I was starting out,” she explained. “Didn’t know my own strength and accidently went overboard on an attack. It was the recoil that almost broke my arm, needless to say I was much more careful the next time.”

“Ch’ya,” Kate snorted. “Define careful.”

“There are always going to be risks,” Gwen said wisely. “However, I don’t go looking for trouble if that’s what you’re hinting at Katie.”

“I wasn’t hinting,” said Kate innocently.

“Rewind the tape I think it qualifies,” said Zach.

They laughed openly attracting the attention of the surrounding tables and for once Gwen didn’t mind.

After lunch Kate rushed upstairs for her next class and Zach walked with Gwen toward the library where she spent her free period. They were about halfway there when Zach suddenly stopped.

“Oh, I forgot my bag,” he said. “I’ll be right back.”

Gwen stood against the wall as Zach raced back to the Cafeteria. Tunnel vision took effect the moment he entered, all he saw was their table in the far corner of the room. He ran toward it, very nearly jumping over benches along the way. He searched around it and the floor, but his bag was nowhere to be found.

He was about to check the other tables in case someone kicked it accidently when a sugary voice called, “Zach?”

He turned to find Kelli with her friends and his bag in her hand.

“Thanks Kelli,” he said moving toward her. “Wrench would kill me if I showed up empty handed.”

He grabbed his bag, but she didn’t let go, he stared at her confused. She had a strange, implacable look in her eyes, there was something truly unnerving about it.

“I’ll release you from her spell,” she purred.

Before he could stop her Kelli jumped on him, wrapped an arm around his neck and forced her lips on his. Horrified Zach yanked his bag back with one hand and pushed her away with the other.

“What are you doing!?” he raged.

“I . . .”

Kelli gazed toward the door no doubt hoping for an escape, her eyes narrowed. He followed her line of sight and felt his stomach twist into a knot. Gwen stood inside the doorway in stunned silence. Zach was too dismayed to explain, he wanted to run to her, but his mind and body had seized up in shock, he could only wait for her to make the first move. In a split second Gwen made her decision and took a deep breath before walking up to him with a smile.

“I figured you were going to be late so I thought I’d walk you to class and give you an excuse if you needed one,” she said quietly. “Did you find your bag?”

He could tell her calmness was an act, her eyes gave it away, but he refused to make it worse and held up his backpack. With another false smile she stepped beside him and took his free hand.

“Great, let’s go.”

They started to leave when Kelli grabbed Gwen by the shoulder at mach speed. Zach felt her fingers tense as she fought to control her emotions.

“You’ll never get away with this,” Kelli hissed.

“Believe what you want, but I’ve done nothing wrong,” she replied straining to keep her voice even. “You have however, and you’re lucky I’m not a hostile person.”

Gwen jerked out of Kelli’s grip and left the room with Zach. Walking through the halls he felt her fingers loosen until he barely knew they were there, worse still she wouldn’t look at him.

“Gwen,” he said gently. “I’m sorry, I should have just taken my bag without saying anything and left.”

“No, you couldn’t,” she replied. “You’re too sweet to do that, even to someone like Kelli.”

He smiled at the compliment and moved toward her, but she backed away.

“You have lipstick on your face,” she mumbled uncomfortably.

Appalled Zach ran his hand over his mouth and sure enough found it marked with Kelli’s signature shade of pink. He could have banged his head against the wall, no wonder she wouldn’t even glance at him.

“I’ll wash it off,” he said spotting a boys room just ahead of them.

He dashed inside, grabbed a paper towel and stepped in front of a sink. Staring at his reflection he washed the colour from his mouth with a sigh. Poor Gwen, he knew Kelli and should have realized she would pull a stunt like this, but . . . he didn’t. It was his idea to ignore her and look what happened. He deserved this nightmare, not Gwen. After double checking his lips Zach left the room and found Gwen standing next to the door with her head down. Her expression pained him, the rare non-smile that proved she was upset.

“Got it,” he told her trying to sound positive.

“Great,” she said quietly, then moved passed him and started down the hall.

“Wait!” he said desperately, catching her by the elbow. “Please, I swear I’ll make it up to you.”

He felt her quiver, she suddenly launched into his arms and buried her face in his chest.

“I don’t blame you Zach,” she said muffled. “It’s just . . . I didn’t expect that to hurt so much.”

She was trying not to cry, he could hear it and made him hold her even closer.

“Trust me, I felt nothing for her,” he said comfortingly. “I’d sooner kiss a tarantula than lock lips with her again.”

From deep within the folds of his T-shirt he heard a tiny snort.

“You don’t believe me?” he asked holding her back slightly so she could see him. “The science lab has one.”

“No, no, no,” she said digging in her heels as Zach took a step. “I’d be happy if you said you’d rather kiss me.”

Zach faced her with a smirk.

“Always,” he said holding her face in his hands.

When their lips met he felt a spark spread through his chest causing his heart to race and lungs to slow. No comparison whatsoever.






© 2014 Emi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ooooh very nice!

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice chapter. this is an amazing story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


great job. love how bubbly gwen is. how caring she is and her personality altogether.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

396 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Urban Fantasy, Superpowers, Romance


Author

Emi
Emi

Windsor, Canada



About
I've been writing since I was thirteen, it started with poetry since it was the only way for me to express my feelings at the time but since then I've moved into novels. I've been working hard on .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 11 Chapter 11

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 24 Chapter 24

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 29 Chapter 29

A Chapter by Emi


Chapter 20 Chapter 20

A Chapter by Emi