"A Pause Of Wishing..."

"A Pause Of Wishing..."

A Poem by Chris
"

Archival Bookstore and Grand River Coffee Sop - Lansing, Mi

"
I had a stopover - one of those pauses you take to better appreciate where you are.  I visited with a crowd of thousands... most old - some friends, some not, some old-to-be-new-friends, some newer-to-soon-become-old-friends, and yes some I won't touch with another's hand.  I found and passed "The Archival Bookstore", then missed it twice during the do-overs!

It was like a scene involving muggles (me) and magykal places (everyone else).  It was right THERE but damnit it took three seperate tries to get back and over to where that THERE was.  Like having a taste of the "Now you see it - and nevermore...".  After parking and meandering to the Door - It was discovering an old friend again.  The scent of a USED book store is unlike any other - especially when its the older books.  Life treats 'ancients' in a way few comprehend - until they do it themselves and thereafter actually notice.  Battered, hidden away in dark, mouldy, mildewy-spaces.  Shelved-AWAY, crammed-squeezed in dark-tight corners, nooks, hidey-holes, and under ANY and EVERY THING!  Stacked in stacks, behind-other-stacks, most haven't seen the light of ANY day in more years than most readers have breathed.

I wandered tight spaces and smiled as I passed (and touched) some special friends.  You get lost in timelessness and to ensure the circle was complete... They interconnected an indoor-outdoor cafe to the place, "The Grand River Coffee Cafe".  TRAPPED!!! Wi-fi infused - I won't even go into the variety of NON-STARBUCKS-actually-TASTING-GOOD!!-Coffee and Lattes-from-hell.  And of course, there were ALL the lil add-ons - snippets and snacks awesomely calorie-enthused-weight-watcher-dreams-of sinfully bright places.  Yeah, trapped... and TIED to a used book store - FIENDISH!!

This IS a college campus town and the latest crop had inveigled a well-mixed presence equal to their numbers.  Laptops in mushroom quantities and cafe-seating, even MORE than a smattering of old-comfy grandparents'-type ARMed-chairs - suitably abused by the latest inhabitants as they always were by US when we 'visited'.  And you COULD breathe-in the SCENT-of-LIFE intermingled meaningfully with the 'Age-of-any-CONTENT-Discontent'.  Thankfully, there was no Baklava... though the way the counter staff eyes seemed to light-up - perhaps I shouldn't even THINK of asking on the next visit.

"A Pause Of Wishing..."

A pocket-sized remembrance
  of "Winnie..." by Milne,
  found and
held my hand as I wandered
  all the old-places.

Baum's Original - OZs - all of them
  near a century aged
  and the line-art - in place!

Older, younger
thought-full
mind-full
visions and versions
of sooooo many we's
AND
uncountedable I's
touched these...

Toasted-almond coffee.

Mugs to cry over
  fall in
    and tease about...

Whispers and echos
some to hear, some just to BE,
and some seem to even have clues -
to their tomorrows.

Chocolate dreams -
Indian Autumns, leaves
- still breathing,
eyes still dreaming -
worlds' explorers being
  children - remembering
    where they haven't been
and the taste of yesterdays,
the scents of tomorrows...
home.

Chris



© 2011 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Good Coffee

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh, amazing the adventures your words invoke!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2011
Last Updated on August 17, 2011
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..