Only One More

Only One More

A Poem by Alone In A Crowd

Five.
Six.
The seventh empty can was crushed in his fist.
He's drunk.

The bottle of vodka slowly decresing in mass.
He says that he'll only have one, but,
One glass turns into one bottle
And one can turns into one box.

When we visit family and they offer him some more,
I try to persuade him, then demand that he has to stop.
Though they remind him that, of course, it's his decision.
They don't have to go home with him.

He always seems in a bad mood.
But it's worse when he's intoxicated.
When he's drunk;
He's not jolly or good humoured.

When he starts he can't stop
My mother and I try to cease his intake of alchohol.
Then he becomes more defensive.
The tense atmosphere cuts into arguments.

I say things I shouldn't,
I don't back down because I remember, sitting in my room.
And realising that no current of music,
Can drown out the sound of him shouting at her.

He doesn't drink again for a while,
But then relapses.
We've come full circle,
We'll have to go through every emotion again.

© 2013 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
This is my second poem which i've wrote on here, and I'll happily except any constructive critism, you may have for me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, to be honest I found myself in a bottle a time or two. I was never violent or anything. It just seemed to have the effect on opening me up to say the things I wanted to say when I was sober. But when you're drunk and you say them it really doesn't matter because they won't take you seriously. Many things said and regretted. Luckily I crawled out of that particular abyss and while there was no happily-ever-after for my marriage. I found that I could once again love and even like myself again and that is an immeasurable quality of life you will find to be able to find joy in who you are regardless of what some others full of ignorance, unforgiveness and memories that just don't go away. I went through this when my parents divorced too only not with the drinking just with the fighting over everything, and nothing. It passes....you just have to bear it out even when you think it may consume your very soul. Your pain and frustrating and anger shine through your words eloquently without ever having to be vicious or vulgar or threatening. Subtlety is a strong suit that speaks volumes through simple images and you place the reader right in your shoes. My compliments.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review. If peole can relate to my poems, that means that I'm dong somethi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on May 23, 2013
Last Updated on May 23, 2013

Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing