Yesterday

Yesterday

A Story by Laura Pruett
"

Pretty rough, I'm afraid. Haven't done a lick of revision on this baby, lol ;)

"

 

My mind screams “Yesterday!” as my thoughts turn back to all that was and all that could have been. I condemn my better self for all the social amenities I’ve passed, heedless of the intrinsic lie. Smiling silkily, and hoping only to escape from this interwoven web, I creep through shadows and regret my very existence. Trapped within this tomb of those I call friends, despising them all the while, I seek solace in that oh-so-special place I love – the past. How can I get back there?
 
I cannot say when my transformation began. With such ease, I convinced myself to lie. There were so many excuses, so many excellent reasons to be less than honest. I didn’t see the trap for what it was, the endless cycle of only a little more, a little less honest and perhaps dishonest if necessary. With every lie, the next became infinitely easier. Soon enough, lying, cheating, stealing…even murder…seemed the only way, the only acceptable answer. And I always do what is necessary.
 
But someone knows. As I was leaving, running madly, panicked though I was, I noticed her – the girl. She shouldn’t have been there, not a girl like her. When I stopped running, I knew I had to find her…because she saw me too.
 
That’s what I’ve been doing the last few days. Stalking her. She hasn’t gone to the police yet, because she’s too afraid. I know she will though, it’s just a matter of time. It’s dark and no one is around. The opportunity is perfect and so I spring upon her, knife in hand, but the shot surprises me. I never saw the gun.
 
I lie dying and I smile. How ironic. This girl has bought my freedom and must pay. I see the knowledge in her eyes. Though my part in this is done, yet will the cycle still continue. As there was no beginning, there can be no end.

© 2008 Laura Pruett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An amazing and heartbreaking short story

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

Laura Pruett
Laura Pruett

Brownwood, TX



About
Dear You, Well, I've put off writing an information section about myself...but I suppose the time has come when all good things must end. So here I am, writing this biography that I have little inter.. more..

Writing