Emmett

Emmett

A Story by AlexArthur
"

First upload, just looking for feedback.

"
As he walked in the automatic doors the cold breeze followed.
Across the store the chill reached a worker which alerted and broke him from his frequent daze. He noticed the fidgety man entering along with his tall wide guardian, and at that point the workers curiosities and questions about the fidgety man arose.
Why was he with a guardian?
Why did he need one?
The restless man was nearly as tall as his guardian and nearly as wide, but these were not the characteristics that caught the workers eye. He wore a rather large wide brim hat and over his eyes sat some plain black sunglasses. Now these alone would not mean much to a person but the fact that the fidgety man was also brandishing a white cane made it apparent that he was blind. Along with that, the restless man also appeared to have some sort of mental disability causing him to bounce up and down and fiddle in a fidgety manner.
Although the first of the workers questions were answered by his observations his mind seemed content on asking more. As they passed out of the workers view he continued to quizzically contemplate the possible answers to his questions. The worker considered the fidgety man’s point of view.
Was he aware he was different?
And did he feel sorrow for his disparities?
He would not know.
What circumstances led the restless man to develop this way?
Was this simply his genetic predisposition or was the influence teratogenic by nature?
This he also would not know.
All the worker knew was that the fidgety man had an amiable sort of charisma about him and that he was selflessly cared for by way of his guardian who himself must be a compassionate cherishing person. The worker admired both the fidgety man and his guardian for the unconditional friendship they must have and the courage they must possess to face their life with all its hardships together.
A loud exclamation came from the front of the store, the workers eyes focused on the fidgety man and his guardian at the registers. The whole store seemed to stop and avert their attention to the fidgety man who was expressing elated enthusiasm for his guardian’s purchase of a particular movie. The worker noticed a group of middle aged shoppers snorting and snickering at the fidgety man unable to contain their contempt.
The worker then focused his curiosities to that of the lack of empathy and compassion in society and questioned why in a world so gorged in sorrowful experiences does humanity still persist in ignorant and impolite practices?
That he did not know.
A slight slap sound came from registers and the worker noticed that the full armed guardian dropped the movie, the worker then approached the fidgety man and his guardian to aid them and as he picked up Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life” the fidgety man exclaimed
“Hello, my name is Emmett”
To which the worker replied with his name and gratitude for talking with him. The guardian gave his thanks and a smile as they took their leave.
 As Emmett walked out the automatic doors the cold breeze followed.

© 2015 AlexArthur


Author's Note

AlexArthur
Ignore problems. First time upload just wanting constructive criticism and opinions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 5, 2015
Last Updated on August 5, 2015

Author

AlexArthur
AlexArthur

Australia



Writing
Lostock Lostock

A Poem by AlexArthur