Echoes of Past Lives    Episode #1

Echoes of Past Lives Episode #1

A Story by iTryToWriteAllTheTime
"

Hoping this finds an interested audience.

"

Jazlyn

Idrick stirred from the backroom as Jazlyn walked down the bar table taking coins and placing drinks in front of her customers. 

“What’ll be served for dinner Miss Jazlyn?” an old voice called along the drinking line. A row of 13 old men, each regulars and heavy drinkers, though they were kind enough most nights and were good when rascals got mightier ideas than they could follow through on.

“Stew. Veggies and what meat we could grab from passerby vendors. Better than what we’ve had in a while. Idrick’s cookin’.” Jazlyn gave off a warm energy from her eyes, though she kept firmly focused on keeping the old men calm and drinking.

“He does make a mean stew.” The old man gulped down a quarter of his mug. “Glad there will be meat in there this time. I remember days when it was just soup. ” His face was more solemn and stonelike, “It is much harder to come by nowadays.” 

Jazlyn replied back with a warm smile, “Well, we should enjoy it while it’s here, shouldn’t we?” She hollered to the backroom with a sweet twirling of her voice, “Time check?” 

Idrick called back, “Meat’s browned and veggies are soft. No broken teeth for Rej this time.” Jazlyn could hear the chuckle permeating his voice.

“Topping off the drinks then quick before bowls, boys.” 

Jazlyn rolled her pitcher of mead over mugs, filling each to the brim as Idrick walked out with hot and fresh wooden bowls. Jazlyn grabbed silverware as Idrick set out the 13 bowls of stew.

Idrick gave Jazlyn a kiss on her cheek, whispering into her ear “Full night it seems like.” He gave a withering smile, like it was the best he could come up with at the moment. He probably needed some sleep soon or he’d fall over.

Idrick continued, “I’m going to go bring some wood in from the shack. Won’t want to have to restart a fire in this storm. It’ll be pitch dark outside soon.” He looked out the foggy windows, the cold bite of wintertime biting at Jazlyn’s toes.

“I’ll be back soon.” He opened up the door, coldness and snow pouring in quickly before the door clicked shut again. He wrapped a blanket around himself, bracing for the walk.

Jazlyn noted the weakness of the fire out toward the back of the dining room. The din of conversation and imagination carried her along more time than she was aware of. 

A loud noise startled Jazlyn out of her daydream.

Jazlyn jumped and let out a high pitched scream. She rested her hand on her breast, seemingly unable to swallow her own spit.

“The hell is this?” A few of the old men called out. A few sprawled back out of their seat, though none seemed courageous enough to put themselves between Jazlyn and the crazy man.

The man seemed to have gone through an awful pain before he arrived through the doors. He limped in, his body seemed scraped and emaciated. His hair was a damp blackness, shoulder length, an unkemptness showing he probably hadn’t seen it cut in a long while.

The man had a short knife tight in his balled fist.

The backroom door cracked the wall it was hinged to. 

Idrick had an ax in hand, his skin going from a bright red to a paler white. He moved himself between the man with a knife and Jazlyn.

The madman muttered things Jazlyn could only guess at understanding.

Jazlyn kept her hands clenched and distress entered through her voice as Jazlyn tried to communicate with the madman.

The madman quickly rushed Idrick, aiming toward Jazlyn.

He lunged quickly, Idrick slowly dodging, leaving a foot out for the man to trip off balance. Idrick struck the man with the dagger on the back of his skull. The man dropped to his face, unconscious.

Idrick froze in repose, a guttural noise escaping from him, he slowly got himself to the ground, Jazelyn keeping his head from striking the ground harshly. “Idrick?!” Jazlyn rose in a panic, finding a long cut along his torso.

Idrick’s eyes dragged heavily as he tried hard to blink, becoming unresponsive to Jazlyn.

© 2024 iTryToWriteAllTheTime


Author's Note

iTryToWriteAllTheTime
Is this vivid? Does it immerse you? Is it particular or specific? Do you have any helpful advice I would benefit from? Was this boring?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the story has potential but needs some revision. There were places that confused me, incomplete sentences, and too much description between dialog. It might help to use a small description of the guys at the bar. (scruffy beards, plaid button shirts, truck insignias on hats....)

I don't re-write people's stories anymore, but I can give you examples of parts that could be changed if you want.

Other than that, not bad.

Posted 2 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

iTryToWriteAllTheTime

2 Months Ago

I'd appreciate any examples you are willing to give. I appreciate you reading through it.



Reviews

A finely penned and narrated story. I enjoyed reading and thank you for sharing it, iTry...

Posted 2 Months Ago


Hi, I think for as long as we live there are improvements to be made. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some things we read are viewed in different personalities. I viewed this as if I'm a customer sitting in a corner table alone watching. It's one of the slower nights, not as fast paced, the 13 guys at the bar are classified as old so that explains the slow start. The barmaid tops off the drinks and the evening pace begins to quicken. The part where she couldn't "swallow her own spit" was unusual but, hey, it's a different kind of story with a different kind of observation. The world would be so boring if we were all alike. It seems like the very phrases that were so unexpected are the very ones that draws the readers interest to what is going down. "the man with the dagger" seems more fitting if it were "the man holding the dagger" because at first I thought he'd been hit with a dagger. But all in all, I liked it.

Posted 2 Months Ago


• Idrick stirred from the backroom as Jazlyn walked down the bar table taking coins and placing drinks in front of her customers.

This makes sense to you, who already know where we are in time and space, what’s going on, and, whose skin we wear. You also have intent for the meaning the reader should take. But the reader has none of that, and must guess as to the meaning, based on THEIR life-experience, not your intent. And as that reader:

1. So, Idrick, who could be 9 0r 90, moved slightly (look up the word “stirred.” It doesn't mean left.)
2. The word "backroom" generally means a meeting place for influential people, as in “backroom politics. So you might want to use “back room.”
3. As stated, Jazlyn walked ON that bar table. And, how many people know that a “bar table” is a rectangular table that has chairs by it? Given that the reader has no clue of where and when we are — and why — this doesn't work.
4. Who in the pluperfect hells are these people, and why do I want to know what they’re doing? I have no context for where that back room is, or what the place is. So while we have words in a row, to the reader, not knowing the three things we need to supply context for, there can be no mental picture.

• “What’ll be served for dinner Miss Jazlyn?” an old voice called along the drinking line.

1. We don’t know where and when we are. And neither I nor Google know what a “drinking line” is.
2. What’s an old voice? You know. And you have an image of the place in your mind but again, your intent doesn’t make it to the page. We must orient the reader or they have no context.

• A row of 13 old men, each regulars and heavy drinkers, though they were kind enough most nights and were good when rascals got mightier ideas than they could follow through on.

Why does the reader care how many people are there? They can't see them, don't know who they are, or even what planet we're on.

What you’re trying to do is tell the reader a story, as if at the campfire. But that cannot work on the page because verbal storytelling is a PERFORMANCE art, where HOW you tell the story matters as much as what you say. But not a trace of that performance makes it to the page, so all the reader has is your script, with no clue of how to perform it.

Added to that, you’re talking about what you visualize happening, as if the reader can see the image you hold in your mind.

Here’s the deal, and I am not trying to discourage you: They offer degree programs in Commercial Fiction Writing because the skills they teach are necessary. There is no way to successfully write fiction without those skills. But we learn NONE of them in our school days. Making it more difficult, when reading fiction, we see only the result of using those skills, NOT the tools. And you can no more acquire those skills by writing with the skills of school than you can become an accountant by using high-school math and guessing.

There’s no reason you can’t learn those skills, but until you do, what you create will be stories that work for you, but not for the reader. Not good news, I know, but as I said, the problem is fixable.

As I suggested before, try this: Grab a copy of Debra Dixon’s, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict from the site linked to below.
https://archive.org/details/goal.motivation.conflictdebradixon/page/n5/mode/2up

It’s a warm easy read, that feels like sitting with Deb as she talks about writing. Just read it slowly, with time spent thinking about how each new point relates to your writing, and more time spent practicing that point, so you don’t forget you read it a day later.

Sorry my news wasn’t better, but you did request that I do a critique, and, as they say, “Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true.”

Jay Greenstein
Articles: https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@jaygreenstein3334

----------
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~ Mark Twain



Posted 2 Months Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

2 Months Ago

I'm gonna review your stuff soooo hard
GlendaK

2 Months Ago

banana? ur a nut (:
Davidgeo

2 Months Ago

Also crunchy
I think the story has potential but needs some revision. There were places that confused me, incomplete sentences, and too much description between dialog. It might help to use a small description of the guys at the bar. (scruffy beards, plaid button shirts, truck insignias on hats....)

I don't re-write people's stories anymore, but I can give you examples of parts that could be changed if you want.

Other than that, not bad.

Posted 2 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

iTryToWriteAllTheTime

2 Months Ago

I'd appreciate any examples you are willing to give. I appreciate you reading through it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2024
Last Updated on June 30, 2024
Tags: Fiction, Fantasy, Tavern, bar, action

Author

iTryToWriteAllTheTime
iTryToWriteAllTheTime

Davenport, IA



About
I write poetry, trying to work my way into bigger things, but started with poetry. I've got a big catalogue I think of poetry I'd like to share. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..