Chapter 2 : Embers' Clash! Sparks of Indignation/Flames of Fury

Chapter 2 : Embers' Clash! Sparks of Indignation/Flames of Fury

A Chapter by AWanderingTanuki

1

   After stepping out of The Grand Lift, which Fena now understood to specifically be “The East Grand Lift” upon noticing signs detailing as much around the drop off point, immediately she was awestruck by the jaw-dropping sight that was Origin’s Wake. At the dead centre of the highest mountain in the village, a gargantuan tower as black as pitch loomed ominously, piercing through the clouds just as Fena had read. It was like a spear of black lightning, tethering the land of mortals to the domain of the divine. She tried her best to take in its unfathomable proportions, imagining just how far she’d have to descend into the Earth’s heart to find its base as well as what could possibly be amongst its peak beyond the clouds. Struggling to do so, Fena blinked and rubbed her eyes, scoping it out again, then shook her head as she rubbed them once more, before this time using both hands to form an imaginary camera of sorts… yet, no matter how she framed it within her field of view, she couldn’t make out any perceivable patterns or consistency about its structure at all. The towers true proportions skulked behind an all-encompassing wall of darkness emptier than a starless sky and slumbering atop that ethereal tower, an omnipotent, all-seeing eye carefully watched over the world that she had created… Well, that was the extent of Fena’s knowledge on it, “No way… Crazy stuff like this really does exist in the real world too? Not just in books? Incredible...” Fena giddily exclaimed; the red orbs of fire in her eyes danced and crackled and flared in astonishment. However, in the wake of such a revelation, a far less welcome realization unearthed itself, “…I don’t get it, why does mom never talk about history stuff like this? It’s always that technology crap.”

    Watching on as their newfound acquaintance wandered a short distance away, Koria furtively nudged Ruby, “My Lady… are you certain that this is what you desire?” She asked pensively as she twiddled with her auburn hair.

   Obscured by a slightly tousled curtain of black, she responded, “Yes, of course. I don’t know his story but-”

   “Not him…” Koria ground the words between her teeth. She snatched hold of Ruby’s arm and squeezed it tight.

   Cautiously, she turned her head, emerging from the veil of black that she so oft hid behind. Her big blue eyes met Koria’s for but a moment before they shrank away and retreated toward the ground, “… I have seen to you in the shadows for how many years now?” Koria relinquished her grip, then kneeled slightly to sit just underneath Ruby’s eye level, “I know you, Ruby. It is because I came to know you that I still draw breath to this day. However, what you propose to go through with today is absolute madness. You know just as well as I that your father’s sordid hands will be submerged in today’s events and he’ll pit you against your brother…”

   Ruby shook violently; her lips quivered and blood dripped from her clenched fists. Her eyes, bloodshot and bulging wide, shot up fiercely from the ground and met Koria’s, “And what exactly is it that you are implying? Say it.” She demanded, with more than a hint of venom in her voice. There had been less children born of the Goddess than the number of times that Koria could recall moments where she’d sighted any semblance of colour on that girl’s face. Internally, it crushed her that this latest instance remained just the same as the previous two; blackened pain and reddened anger. Her sapphire stare was glacial, as harsh as any winter Koria had ever lived through; it dared her to continue.

   A crimson tear spilled from Koria’s lip. She stood back up, cursing them for releasing such wounding words, but for her dearest friend, she wouldn’t shirk them, “You heard your father. He’s no patience left within him for your brother’s ‘incapabilities’ and if he doesn’t prove his worth and awaken to his birthright this day, only the Goddess knows what he’ll do to him.”

   “As for you… You are shackled, girl. Bound by blood; you are his! Nothing more than chattle that he houses for whenever he requires you, be-it for power, wealth, or even…”

   Koria reached for the frilly white collar of her uniform. Her hands trembled as she undid the buttons, revealing harsh, deep red blotches that stained her fair, bronze skin like a bouquet of red roses. Ruby gasped and looked away. No, to make her understand, she’d have to see it, all of it. Koria forcefully cupped her hand underneath Ruby’s chin, “Look at me child… If by some sheer miracle you see the end of this day with your life intact, this is all that awaits you.” Rage seethed within her; she couldn’t let Ruby become like her, never.

   On the contrary, Ruby’s flames had simmered; only the saddened, flickering Ember’s remained. As though her soul had just escaped from her body, Ruby stood motionless, her glassy, oceanic eyes were directed toward Koria, yet she knew that within their vision she was not. Just what was it she saw when the apathy would assail her as it did in this moment? Where is it that her mind would go to seek refuge when heat of her burdens scorched too hot for her to handle? For near a decade Koria had wondered, and she wondered now just the same.

   Ruby had always been a timid and hesitant girl, what with an abominable, flame-fisted father that’d have her battered blue by boys twice her age and size, hiding his twisted lust for authority and excellence under the cunning guise of “training” if she’d ever dared so much as step out of line or show any weakness, “Flickering flames vanish under the cover of night; The Pheonix deign bequeath his blessing to those who are not worthy.” he’d always tell her. Worst of all, without fail, even if she couldn’t bring herself to stand, he would force her to fight against her own brother; his corrupted flames never spared her even a flicker of mercy.

   Yet Koria had always cherished Ruby’s passivity, even if it was considerably abnormal. It was part of what made Ruby, Ruby. Despite being inequitably burdened with her father’s implacable expectations with no real family to turn to, there was room reserved in her heart for those that she loved, even more room than she left for herself. She’d offer naught but the warmth of her embrace and the gentle, soothing sound of her breathing, yet it gifted Koria a priceless stability.

   Though the memories were vague and painful to reminisce upon, Koria always likened Ruby’s calming presence to when she’d used to walk barefoot across her favourite place in the entire world: a small beach just a stone’s throw away from her home back in “Fret” called “Rock Beach”. The tide would creep across the sparkling, grainy gold sand and tickle at her feet, but just as quickly as she could appreciate that sensation, the water would disappear, dragged back into the ocean… Inexplicably, it would always leave her feeling hollow and bereft; she’d always wish that she’d have savoured that unique, blissful sensation that filled her heart to the brim the way she ought to have before it so suddenly would leave her. Just like how when she’d be comforted by Ruby, in between her steady breath’s, horrific memories and survivors’ guilt would thrust their sharp, hateful cries into her stomach… until the waves would come creeping back, tickling at her feet again, reassuring her that things would be alright, that she wasn’t alone, that the next breath would come. It would always come. That reassurance had kept her going all these years.

   However, today that feeling was fleeting in a way it never had been before. Just as she was powerless that tragic night when she’d seen Fret set ablaze with pillars of fire that crackled and cackled whilst a ferocious, howling wind bent and twisted the flames to make them dance over the corpse of her home, staining the once beautiful, glittery golden sand with blackened, burning ashes that bellowed smoke high into the air; the dying breaths of The Goddess’s nature, again, Koria was powerless as she watched Ruby, her sole purpose for remaining in this world, determined to walk into those same flames.

   -Please… Not again…

   Desolately, desperately, Koria earnestly confided within her dearest friend the dark cloud permeating the halls of her mind, “… Horace… He has burrowed his way into that boy’s broken mind; your brother knows he cannot fail him again. That boy is a lost cause; he shan’t cease his violence until he seizes the power that is his birthright, even if taking your life is how he must achieve it. I can’t do this… Not again… Please, I beg of you…” Run away with me, Koria cried within herself. Her words trailed off. Her hands trembled. She collapsed to her knees, staring at the ground. She was selfish, so unabashedly selfish; Ruby had chosen this to be her fate as was well within her right, but she’d rather die than let Horace have his way once more, not with Ruby. She wasn’t trying to control her; she wasn’t the same as him.

   Suddenly, the radiant sun and the brightness of the world as she knew it became shrouded in a veil of black that tickled at her face, one she knew all too well. Thin, delicate fingers gripped at her shoulders, scrunching up her black robe and the white shoulder straps of her apron in their desperate grip, whilst two intricately embroidered black sleeves wrapped around her back and tightly embraced her, “Then so be it. I cannot live like this anymore; I refuse. I’ve long ran out of stars in the sky to wish upon for the courage to take my own life or to run away, but my heart simply cannot abide it… I love my brother; I believe in him, Koria, and I love my mother; I refuse to relinquish her to my father…” Ruby pulled Koria in even tighter, the sheer strength of her grip was frightening as she ground out her words, “Father always told me that the Ember name engulfs all within its flames… Its wretched, heinous flames… If I cannot best my brother, begin to change this twisted clan-”

   “Heeeeey! I kinda recognise those two buildings over there! And I see a bunch of people too! That’s gotta be where we’re going, right!?” A familiar, oblivious voice called out, interrupting with the worst possible timing.

   Hurriedly pulling away from Ruby’s embrace, Koria wiped her eyes and patted down her uniform. She’s grown so tall now, she fondly remarked to herself as she looked down toward her dear friend. The sparkly black dress that she wore today was absolutely stunning, it perfectly complimented her long, flowy black hair and the tall, slender figure that she’d grown into.

   It had just occurred to Koria that when she cried, her big and beautiful oceanic eyes glistened just like the waves did back on Rock Beach in Fret; a bittersweet realization that stabbed her right in the heart. Would she ever have the privilege of witnessing those sparkling sapphire crystals twinkle with hope and enthusiasm, or happiness and love?

   One particularly stormy night, about a year shy of a decade ago, played out in Koria’s mind. The flaming demon who’d erased her home and everything she’d ever known thrust upon her a new life, one of servitude. She’d been working in the stables, where she’d also been lodged, at the Ember mansion for about two weeks; a mere fifteen years of age. Heavy rainfall relentlessly crashed against the dilapidated wooden shack, oozing through the crevices between the wooden panels like parasites, soaking Koria and the prickly ball of hay that she struggled once again to sleep upon. That night, desperate for someone, anyone to hear her cries, she held her hands to her knees and cradled herself back and forth, praying dispiritedly for the indiscriminate hand of the cold to sweep through her bones and imbue her heart with the chilling relief of death, or that the distant roaring of thunder would rampage on and relieve her of the burden that was her life. There was nothing left for her in this world. Yet she dared draw her own blood and disgrace the memories of those who fought for her survival.

   Suddenly, a loud bang shook the wooden double doors that served as the entrance to the stable. Granted, they’d been rattling and banging away all night, but this thud was far heavier, as though something, or even someone had banged on it, hard. Koria shot up to her feet, the chilly, damp stone floor bit at her feet whilst she frantically rummaged for a knife. Once she’d found it, she slowly approached the door. The sharp steel shook in all directions, both out of fear and exhaustion, she’d been the only maid appointed to the upkeep of the stables and the caretaking of the myriad of animals carelessly sheltered within them and they’d worked her to the bone. Small bumps and bruises and cuts marked her all over and she was sore in places she didn’t even know could be sore, her fatigued, beaten legs rattled like maracas, buckling under her weight, which itself was fast fading from her.

   Servants ate less and worked more, that was it meant to live a life of servitude.

   The winds were so fierce that as soon as Koria slid out the wooden board from the makeshift latch she’d built herself, the door swung wide open, nearly flying away off its hinges. She held onto the wall beside her and poked her head around, yet nobody was there. She reached for the door and pulled it back with all her might, praying that the winds wouldn’t snatch it away. After she finally slammed it shut and slid the plank of wood back into the latch, she collapsed against the door, “I… must be beside myself…” she insisted, lightly banging her head against it several times; servants slept less and worked more too. This truly was her life now, there was no other choice but to get used to it.

   The skirling shriek of the wind refused to relent and just as Koria thought she’d settled upon some semblance of calm, another bang, accompanied by the crashing and tumbling of wood and the smashing of rain inside the shack left no doubt in her mind, there was an intruder. The rickety roof had collapsed with a tremendous thud. Koria pivoted instinctually, almost falling over her own feet as she held her knife out before her and screaming, “STAY AWAY!” with her eyes sealed shut. After a few moments of silence, save for the turbulent weather, she dared to glimpse what was ahead of her. In a bed of splinters and boards lay a tiny little girl who couldn’t have been older than seven or eight, soaked to the bone and blood oozing from what seemed to be a fresh wound underneath her opulent, silky white nightgown. Koria knew straightaway who she was… The youngest and second child of her employer, Ruby Ember, but why was she here? What in the world was she doing outside at this time of night in this treacherous weather?

   Koria shuffled toward her, knife still raised, daring not to breath or blink. The noble child raised her head, looking directly toward the shaking steel. Her eyes narrowed slightly, as though she were focused on its tip, yet she did not waver. She was clearly wounded and she shivered violently, yet she did not wince. There was an emptiness in her eyes, so bereft of anything at all, not pain, nor fear, nothing; the body moved, but what of the mind controlling it?

   There would be fire if she were caught holding a knife toward her employers daughter, but Koria soon perished the thought, “You’re hurt, can I- Sorry, I mean, Your Grace… May I please assist you?” Koria dared to ask, her voice quivering. She bowed stiffly, still not quite accustomed to the formalities expected of her.

   “Bathroom.” The girl responded, stoic and still.

   “I… don’t understand. Can you show me?”

   And show her she did. Moving to the beat of her own drum, she stood up and walked toward Koria, grabbing her by the sleeve of her uniform and led her toward the big double doors, Koria was at first opposed to going back outside for obvious reasons, but once she’d voiced that concern to the girl, she let go and then made a start for the run’s where the horses stayed. Was this girl even human? Still, that emptiness lingered in her eyes. Koria glanced up toward the hole in the roof, making certain that there wasn’t a puppet master manipulating the girl’s body and playing a nasty trick on her.

   The girl slipped out of her nightgown and Koria could only pray that she’d scraped herself scaling the shack or during the fall, because everything else that she withheld was absolutely mortifying. Deep, purple lumps with small pools of red in their centre swelled all over her stringy legs like fleshy volcanoes. Clearly emaciated, her hollowed, bony naked body had been scourged by a devil’s tongue, its glowing, red welts intruded upon the girl’s sanctity, a sanctity that seemed as though it’d been long stolen from her, a sanctity that she may have never even known she’d had a right to in the first place. Koria wanted to cover her eyes. She couldn’t leave her in such a state.

   “Don’t!... Just… stay there, please.” Koria begged.

   Beside the bundle of hay that served as a sorry excuse for her bed sat a large, ancient chest, she’d made use of it upon arriving at the Ember Estate and it held all her belongings. Quickly, she sifted through it, grabbing some rags that had been tossed to her by a senior maid and some mouldy bread that she’d stolen and stashed away. Everything to her name was in that box. Though it humiliated her having someone else witness that fact, her feelings had to be set aside for now, that child needed to be fed and Koria’s mouldy bread would have to do for now, “I’ll take you back inside. We’ll have to be quiet though and you’ll have to show me the way, is that alright?” She gently asked, kneeling before her whilst washing off her wound and dressing the girl into the rags.

   After she’d finished, Koria grabbed whatever rags she’d had left and made deft use of the final thing stored within her chest, a sewing kit, and fashioned together a makeshift bandage. Morbidly enough, neither when Koria wiped at the wound, washing away the blood and making sure no debris remained in the cut, or when she tightly wrapped the bandaging over it, not once did the girl wince or cry out in pain, not even so much as flinch. It was harrowing.

   Koria then offered her the bread, “You must forgive me for such a poor offering, but please, before we leave, you must eat.”

   “Flickering flames disappear in the dark... Father says that The Phoenix doesn’t give his blessing to weak children.”

   “What…?” Koria slowly uttered. Shocked beyond belief for a moment, she didn’t know what to say… Koria sunk her teeth into her lip hard; Horace Ember was a monster. She tried her best to force a smile, “How about this, I promise that I’ll get you back inside, take you to the bathroom and get you tucked up warm in bed as long as you don’t tell your father, deal?”

   Finally, for the first time since she’d so unexpectedly met her, Ruby Ember showed just a glimmer of emotion. Tentatively, she reached for the bread. Her fingers, thin as a spider’s legs, carefully probed away at it. Just one more push, Koria thought; she wouldn’t abide even the rising of the morning sun before this child had been fed.

   Koria leaned in close. Ruby jolted, letting out a barely audible gasp. Her glassy eyes trembled slightly and she shrunk back. It was patently obvious she was terrified, even of Koria, yet she was brave, so, so brave to hide her fear. Gently, as gently as she’d handle a newborn, Koria lowered her rough hands onto Ruby’s bony shoulders, pulling her towards herself slightly so that the pairs foreheads rested upon each other, “‘A song from the heart to quell the tempest in the mind’. Where I come from these words have been spoken to solidify promises for generations. It’s a long story about how Sylphiette, one of ‘The Four Children Of The Divine’, nearly wiped our village from existence…” Koria pulled away from Ruby, looking her in the eyes once more, “…But that story can wait for another time, where we meet under more… appropriate circumstances. Come, let’s get you inside.”

   Koria turned her back, beckoning Ruby to climb on. It was frightening just how light she was. The weak embrace of her sunken body came with a groan and a shiver; there was no more time to waste. She slid the wooden latch open once again and as soon as the winds wrenched the door away, she bolted out from the stables and onto the main courtyard. Save for the day she was brought in, Koria hadn’t once stepped inside of the Ember mansion, so once they got inside, she’d have to keep her guard up. She made a start for the main entrance until a weak tug at her shoulder stopped her in her tracks.

   “No…” Ruby’s tiny voice quivered; a paper-thin arm rose up, extending outward and pointing to the left.

   Koria struggled to intuit what the girl was trying to communicate. Her shivering arm remained raised, so Koria followed its direction, aborting her original plan of sneaking in through the front doors and skirting to the left-hand side of the building. Instead of now extending outward, Ruby’s arm retracted somewhat and now signalled for Koria to look upward. There, she saw an open window about four stories high with a long, white curtain flapping about at the mercy of the violent winds. Koria feared that at any moment they could be caught; she decided not to hesitate and scale the wall as fast as possible.

   Using every ounce of strength she had left within her, Koria kneeled on the mushy mud beneath the window and infused Essence into the palms of her hands, then plunged them into the earthy soil. Shortly afterward, a small mound emerged from beneath the surface, just barely large enough to encircle the area where Koria stood and slowly, it began to raise the pair upward toward the window. Fatigued, starved and recently bereaved, Koria simply wasn’t in any condition to be harnessing Essence; each-and-every second that passed by dealt her excruciating pain. She drifted dangerously close to passing out multiple times, not even feeling the torrential rain or turbulent wind, her body couldn’t take the stress, but she refused to give in; how dare she succumb to her suffering when a child half her age showed such tremendous resolve yet didn’t so much as wince in discomfort? She’d made it out here, Koria could certainly bring her back in.

   The brown, glowing light swirling around Koria’s hand began to dim, she braced herself, squeezing out every last drop of Essence that her body could manipulate to get them as close as possible to the window. “Hold on tight!” The platform crumbled and rocked; Koria instantly leapt from her kneeled position and reached for the plastic windowsill jutting outward toward her, then hurriedly, she scrambled to establish solid footing onto the wall, “Climb inside, quickly!”

   She dug her fingers into the unforgiving brickwork as the wind and rain beat away at her suspended body whilst Ruby clawed her way up from her back and through the window. Finally… Safe from this terrible weather… Koria felt herself fading; she’d pushed herself far, far beyond her limits. She’d gotten Ruby inside, to safety… it didn’t matter what became of Koria now. She felt numb. She’d felt numb since that day she’d watched her loved ones and her home burned before her eyes. Her family, her friends and the beautiful music they’d played together every single night… Playing the piano filled her heart with inexplicable joy, it transported her to a place where the delightful, varied tones of the keys could soak up her deepest thoughts and feelings and transfer them to the people who would hear her play. She’d yearned to feel the weighted thud of a pressed key against her fingertips once again for what felt like a lifetime now, visualizing herself playing and singing at the top of her lungs to the people that she loved, just like the best of times. Even right now, her mind wandered there, but it was different, everything was different. Nobody was there. She was all alone. She struggled to breath. She’d try to sing, but her voice made no sound, she’d press gently onto the keys, but their wonderful sounds were replaced by empty, soundless thuds. She tried smashing her hands into them, tried screaming as loud as she could… but there was simply nothing; no sound could ever come from playing a piano at the bottom of the ocean.

   A fall from this height, with her body so exhausted, would almost assuredly result in her death, We’ll be playing together soon, mother, father, brother… but that was okay. Koria closed her eyes. She let everything go. The water rushed into her lungs, the darkness closed in around… soon, she would feel nothing at all…

   Until suddenly, a clawing, squeezing pain racked her left forearm and her eyes shot wide open, “Why…”

   Perilously leaning out of the window, Ruby clutched desperately onto Koria’s arm. Tears poured profusely from her eyes, or was it just the rain? She grimaced, grunting and groaning as she grit her teeth with her eyes squinting tight, “Won’t… let you…”

   Rapidly, Koria’s survival instincts kicked in and she snapped back to reality, scrambling for the windowsill once more and once she felt its cold, wet embrace, she gripped onto it tight, tighter than she’d ever grabbed anything before and launched herself upward in unison with Ruby assisting her with one final pull. Koria flew through the window and instantly grabbed hold of Ruby, twisting herself to avoid landing on top of her and the pair of them crashed onto the stiff, laminate wooden floor. Save for heavy breathing and the awful weather, a relieved silence befell the pair as they lay limp upon the ground, soaked, sore and utterly exhausted. How someone hadn’t heard them thus far was nothing short of a miracle; at least in this one aspect, Koria felt grateful for the tumultuous weather. The near silence was abruptly broken by sniffling and short, irregular breathing beside her, “I’m so sorry; are you hurt?”

   “You… You’re just like everyone else; just like him… You’re a liar.” Ruby breathlessly wailed, pillow-punching at Koria’s chest whilst tears bawled from her eyes, “Your promise… You were gonna break… Your promise…”

   The truth in those despaired words pierced sharper than any steel could ever. She was a liar; she was going to break her promise… Yet despite that, Ruby had still saved her life. How lucky she had been to have received such benevolent kindness, especially from someone who’d so clearly lived a life bereft of it thus far.

   “I... I am so sorry Ruby…” Koria lamented, wrapping her arms carefully around Ruby, “You’re right, I was going to break my promise… I miss my family so, so much; I wanted to be with them more than anything in the world,” Koria rubbed tears from Ruby’s eyes with her thumb and placed a tender kiss on her forehead, “…But still, you saved me.” Koria lifted herself up from the ground, then lifted Ruby up into her arms, “I have a promise to fulfil. Let’s get you cleaned up.”

   Ruby nodded gingerly, leaning into Koria’s chest.

   The pair quickly crept out of the room, Ruby directed Koria as she tiptoed down a lavishly decorated corridor sporting an expensive looking red carpet and various opulent ornaments and portraits. Fortunately, the bathroom was only a couple of doors down from the room that Koria presumed was Ruby’s, despite it housing nothing of note that would distinguish it as such. Once they were inside, Koria locked the door behind them and slumped down to the heated, white marble floor. Her head throbbed, both from the impact of her smashing it against the floor earlier and upon recalling the events of this torrid night. Merely minutes ago, she’d almost been swallowed whole by the jaws of death and accepted that this night would be her last. She exhaled a deep breath and looked toward the white marble ceiling, losing herself in the intricate patterns engraved into it and then looked around the room. It was huge, just like Ruby’s room and everything shimmered and shone with a glean that made Koira feel queasy, nothing was out of place, towels were freshly stocked and all toiletries were neatly arranged; a servants life didn’t seem any easier inside the mansion than it was outside, save for dealing with the weather.

   Koria felt a light tug at her hand. She looked toward Ruby, who fidgeted awkwardly whilst staring at the ground, “I’m here. I won’t let go of your hand.”

   Ruby ceased her fidgeting, remaining still for a few moments, before tugging again at Koria’s hand, this time pulling slightly harder and leading her toward the lavatory.

   A wonderful warmth filled Koria’s heart, one which for a moment surprised her; despair and bereavement had cast their unforgiving flames over the flower garden where her memories were planted, even those that remained were burned beyond recognition, horrifying to relive knowing now that those people whom she shared those moments with were gone. Unbeknownst to Ruby, Koria directed that warmth toward the back of her long, begrimed hair, even if just slightly, the feeling that she’d taken one tiny step toward understanding the person who’d gave her life meaning once more meant the world to her. Never again… I won’t let go, ever again. Once Ruby had relieved herself and was ready to return to her room, Koria grabbed a towel and dried her hair.

   Once the pair had snuck back into Ruby’s room, Koria quickly sealed the windows shut then discreetly searched the room. Finally, a serene quietness fell upon the pair. Afterwards, she checked Ruby’s wound once more, then swapped out the soaked rags she’d given to her and replaced them with a cosy looking grey bathrobe that was hung up within a large, old oak wardrobe that housed a myriad of ridiculously gaudy looking clothes that Koria surmised individually could’ve probably commanded more “Essence Crystals” than her entire home would have. Does the abundance of wealth plague one’s mind with such eccentric tastes? She wondered. It’d escaped her notice before, but there was a distinct, pungent smell that stuck to her nose, suffocatingly so now that the windows had been sealed shut; if the tales of gods and monsters and mythical creatures in this world really were to be believed, Horace Ember was something worse than the lot of them.

   As was typical of such an abundantly rich family, it seemed you’d never be found wanting for the essentials, as after a short bout of searching, Koria located spare bedsheets inside of a large drawer affixed to the bottom of the bed, choosing a dark blue colour to replace the pure white sheets that had been soiled. She wrapped Ruby up under the covers nice and tight and at first, she seemed quite puzzled her breath’s short and erratic, until her eyelids began to drowsily descend. The warmth embraced her skin, drying her chilled, rain-soaked bones, the huge bed and thick covers threatened to swallow up her tiny little body whole. Koria chuckled quietly; it was truly a blissful sight. Patiently, she watched as her hollowed chest and incongruously prominent ribs rose, filling to the brim with air, then sank. “I see it now…” Koria whispered, lightly tracing Ruby’s bruised forehead, brushing away hair that had fallen onto her face. There was a frightening strength within this child. Unknown to anyone, even herself or her father, hidden within this porcelain doll, a special power remained untouched. Not a power of the Goddess or of fabled monsters, nor of insurmountable strength or impenetrable defence, one as inherently human as any power could be, one that made Koria sure this girl was human, just as human as she was: a pure heart. Alone, it wouldn’t free her from this prison of fire and flame her father kept her within, it wouldn’t fill her stomach and it wouldn’t provide her the love and care that her life was so bereft of. Maybe one day she’d even grow to despise it, cursing how in the end it would only ever seem to shackle her to pain and suffering whilst knowing she didn’t have it within her to cast it aside. Such a simple, worthless power that like herself, couldn’t achieve anything on its own, yet it could reach the heart of another who valued her pure heart just the same way Koria had begun to right now, someone with the strength to protect her.

   Ruby’s dainty fingers gradually slipped from the web they’d woven that bound the pair together, yet they didn’t relinquish their grip entirely. A warmth filled Koria’s heart, tears fell from her eyes, it broke her heart that she had to leave Ruby’s side this night, but to ensure that she could remain by her side, she would have to see to her in the shadows, directly underneath the nose of her employer.

   A few hours later, not too long after the sun had relieved the moon of its duties on a day as usual as any other, Koria was awoken by rampant shouting and screaming and smashing and banging. Ruby was turning the entire mansion upside down, smashing ornaments and screaming at the top of her little lungs that she’d wished her father was dead and that if she didn’t get what she’d asked for, she’d run away. The hearty, conceited laugh that spewed from her father’s pompous mouth when he’d told her, “Go right ahead! The Pheonix sees all, and he’ll be squawking as loud as I once the taste of your petulant words hit your stomach, because that’s the only food a useless princess like you will get your hands on,” still made her blood boil.

   That night, Ruby really did run away, and Horace, who never, ever, waddled out toward the stables where he’d personally assigned her, watched her like a hawk. Every few hours or so he’d waddle on by, the pitch-black coals in his eyes bulging wide, glowering at her, yet not a word would he ever speak. A few days passed and Ruby still hadn’t returned. Each night that went by, Koria got less and less sleep. It was blatantly apparent that her father abused and neglected the girl and Ruby had found her own way of bottling it up, but what in the world could have caused her to lose herself in a fit of rage and madness, so much so that she’d spew such venom in the direction of the man at the source of all her pain?

   The night before she returned, Horace came by the stables once again, but this time he came with another man, a hulking, brute of a man, bigger than any she’d ever seen save her late father, and approached her, This is it; they’re going to take me. It haunted her recalling how terrified she was in that moment. Had Horace figured out that she and Ruby were close? Surely upon unearthing such information he’d pin his daughter’s rebellious behaviour all on her, an ungrateful stable wench who’d far overestimated her station. He ran his stubby fingers over a thick, golden chain draped over his neck and let out a long sigh, then curiously remarked, “You’ve caught my daughter’s eye…” He looked at her through one eye, then turned toward the large man, “Gale, collect her belongings for me, and you, follow along, do not speak a word.”

   Though she didn’t quite know what time it was, the moon had long cast its dim glow through the inconstant gaps between the wood-boarded walls of the dilapidated shack and the constant hustle and bustle of maids and servants and training and all other new wealthy person activities that Koria seemed to encounter each and every day had all ceased. She followed the two men, slinking through shadows, entering the mansion underground through an entry point she’d never seen before, every ounce of her being wanted to turn tail and run, but if she did, the large man would most certainly catch her; she could tell he was a powerful Shinobi. As preposterous a wish it was, she’d wished that they’d both at least possess the decorum to be gentler with her womanhood providing she did as she were told. The impending atrocity that the two beasts accompanying her were about to put her through ate away at her spirit, she felt empty, vacant, not paying any mind to her whereabouts whatsoever, she bumped into walls and tripped on steps, feeling all the vitality from her body slowly being sucked away.

   They led her to a huge, extravagant room, one near the top floor of the mansion on the western wing, which she had recognized because of the furnishing; it was very similar to Ruby’s room. The large man tossed her things onto the massive bed in the centre of the room. Horace beckoned the man closer, whispered something in his ear and then saw him out of the room, shutting the door carefully behind him. He took a long look at Koria, then warned her, a hand raised and poised to strike her, “Not a damned word wench. If anyone is to ask, you are to explain that Gale requested of me the stationing of more hands in the mansion to ensure that we’re prepared if those Shinobi hunting lunatics show their faces around here, am I clear?”

   Koria bowed her head, daring not to meet the man’s gaze. “Y-Yes Your Grace.”

   Once he left the room as well, Koria held her breath, focusing on Horace’s heavy, laboured steps shuffling away until she could hear them no longer, then collapsed to her knees. She jumped to her feet and scanned the room, grabbing whatever she could to barricade the door whilst making as little noise as possible and waited, slipping out a knife from underneath her dress, fearing that it was all too good to be true.

   At some point, she’d drifted off, slumped over a small wooden table and when she awoke, what she saw both spooked her out of her skin and relieved her to no end. On the other end of the room, a huge window, just like the one in Ruby’s room, welcomed a brisk breeze that lightly rustled the white silk curtains, carrying with it an earthy, mushy smell, orange-tinted rays of warm sunlight beamed onto the laminated oak floor and underneath the window, in and amongst the blotches of light that swayed in and out of the curtains shadow, she saw red… blood, fresh blood and wet mud and pieces of torn clothing, “What in the world happened?” she’d gasped to herself. It occurred to her that she had no recollection at all of opening that window. Did someone render her unconscious? Where was her knife? No longer was it in her hand, instead it was on top of a set of tall drawers near the window on the other side of the room. A weight tied her body down to the floor and her legs were incredibly sore. Frantically, she checked herself all over, starting from her chest, scouring for any bruising or markings and when she looked down toward her legs… and everything became clear.

   There she was, clothes torn to shreds, cuts and bruises all over her and her hair an awful mess, fast asleep in Koria’s lap. “You… are truly incorrigible.”

   Remembering those events filled Koria both with an overwhelming happiness and a suffocating sadness. Ruby was her everything. The second chance at life she truly didn’t deserve.“I will be praying that you return safely, Ruby.” She whispered, her own words the anchor that sank her heart into the depths of despair, knowing that they may be the last words she would ever speak to her dearest friend. She despised herself for knowing that she’d had the nerve to speak them aloud whilst harbouring no belief whatsoever in Ruby’s chances of victory.

    Ruby reached out a hand and reached for the back of Koria’s head, pulling the pairs foreheads together, “’A song from the heart to quell the tempest in the mind’, thank you Koria; you’ve done more for me than I could ever repay you for.”

   And with that, they both reunited with Fena, making their way towards the academy. They walked in complete silence and as they did, Ruby resolved herself to her fate one final time…

   Father, Brother… No longer will I cower in fear. In victory, or even in defeat, you will see it… You won’t dare tear your eyes away. Even the blazing sun shall be put to shame; my flames shall burn brightest this day.

 

2

 

   Hmmm… Something’s wrong here, but I don’t know what? Fena was completely stumped.

   The short walk from The East Grand Lift that led the group to being stood before the two buildings that Fena had recognized from the flyer that she vaguely remembered went off without a hitch. She’d arrived at her destination, the Origin’s Peak Shinobi Academy, and given that things remained as they were just before stepping away from the Grand Lift, that probably would’ve been that. A pleasant parting, maybe a “See you next time” followed by some smiles and waves, though she’d a suspicion that the chances she’d get a smile out of Ruby were all but naught.

   Yet things hadn’t been as they were before. Not the way Fena saw it. The entire way, they’d all walked in complete and utter silence. Not a single word. Not even an exchange of glances. Both Koria and Ruby stoically paced straight ahead, Koria’s steps were intent and mature, almost too intentional, as though she were making a concerted effort to behave as “normally” as possible, and Ruby’s steps were hasty and stilted, like she were playing  game of tug of war with herself, one side struggling for the chance to escape this awkward bubble of tension and stride out ahead of the group, and the other resisting the obvious scene that it would cause. Fena was certain the two had completely forgotten she was even there.

   -Well, I guess they only agreed to help me out and they’ve done their part now… It’s not as though we’re actually friends, right?  An awful feeling churned about her stomach. Though she’d said those words aloud in the oasis of her mind inhabited only by herself and her thoughts and knew them to be true, the echoes of their very invocation momentarily awoke the wicked black that skulked within her heart, the abyss where that terrible, dreadful feeling that sunk its teeth into her bloodstream, siphoning away her will to go on, festered. It constantly threatened to plunge her into eternal darkness and bury her underneath the sands of abandonment and loneliness, but before such a fate were to befall her, Fena jabbed herself, hard, digging her knuckles in right where she felt it stirring. She crushed the ensuing calamity, restoring light to the dunes and clarity to her mind.

   There was a bigger problem at hand than her own feelings right this moment however, and she was determined to get to the bottom of it before she left for the academy.

   “This is where we shall be parting ways.” Koria curtly remarked, looking ahead dispiritedly.

   Towering over them were a set of ginormous, magnificent silver gates that led into a sprawling garden-like area, serving as a social and sometimes training space for the academies main building. Draped over the gates were a myriad of flags sporting different colours and symbols that Fena couldn’t make heads or tails of, aside from one in particular that immediately struck her as familiar thanks to the day’s events thus far, a red and white flag with streaks of gold and in the centre with a red phoenix spreading its wings over a fire surrounded by people, the flag of the Ember Clan. Fena didn’t understand why all the other flags were there, but as she continued to observe them, another flag, one that was green with streaks of purple and white, caught her eye. Fena racked her brain, wondering what exactly it was about it that seemed so familiar, “Ohh I remember! That looks like that fairy! The one Miss Ruby gave to the old man!” Fena gleefully recalled, shamelessly applauding her keen eye with a “Hmph!” as she puffed out her chest.

   “The academy’s main building is straight ahead, that is where you will be required to register. Me and my mistress will be taking our leave.” Koria again bluntly remarked, not even looking toward Fena as she spoke.

   Yep, something is definitely wrong here… Fena concluded. Her palms clammed up and a chilled sweat made her hakama stick uncomfortably to her back as her heart thumped away in her chest. Were they mad at her? Sure, things got off to a rocky start, but things had pretty much been fine until shortly after they’d gotten off the lift. Fena awkwardly ran the tips of her fingers from her left hand over the prickly, purple shaved sides of her head, “So… Uh… D-did you both have a fight or something…?”

   Bingo. In perfect synchronization, they both looked toward each other, as if to check whether the other had been foolish enough to give the game away and upon meeting each other’s gazes, they winded their necks away from each other, as if blaming one another for making it so obvious. Ruby made a sour, stroppy face whilst Koria looked dejectedly at the ground. Fena couldn’t hold down a little chuckle. Remind you of anyone, mom? Fena cheekily asked herself, knowing good and well the answer.

   Fena sucked in a deep breath, everything she thought of saying just didn’t sound right and still she was none-the-wiser as to what had gone on between the pair of them, so she decided to just start talking and let the words come out as they may, “Look, I’m not really good at this type of stuff cuz I don’t have any friends and heck, my workahlolic mom never seems to listen to me anymore either, so here goes!” Bursting through the tension, Fena stomped her foot onto the ground, grabbed onto Bolt and held him above her head whilst pointing toward the pair, a pair of kind girls that in the back of her mind, she hoped that one day she could call friends, “I don’t know what happened between you two, but I gathered that your dad and your brother are both real lame. I heard that Fenrir kid would be seeded super high today, well, here's a little secret for ya… let’s call it uh… ‘Facts About Fena’! Here’s fact number one, I didn’t attend any recognized pre-schools in this village, so that means I’ll be seeded low right? Chances are, you’ll get to see me kick his a*s and-”

   Before she could even blink, a streak of sparkling black zipped through the space between them and grabbed a fistful of Fena’s hakama, her heart bounced up from her chest and into her mouth, a surge of fear and fascination pulsed around her entire body. Deadly serious Oceanic spheres of rage engulfed Fena’s wavering flames, there was a venom in Ruby’s voice that chilled Fena to the core, freezing her thumping heart and shattering it, “Fena… Listen to me closely…” Koria didn’t move an inch; she stood in complete disbelief. In Ruby’s big blue eyes, a tiny orb of pure, festering white swelled, she ground her teeth and leaned in close, “…If by any chance you are matched with my brother, do not fight him.”

   “W-what? W-why? What if I fail? If I fail, then I can’t-”

   “I DON’T CARE!” Ruby screamed, shoving Fena hard, she stumbled over her own feet and crashed into the fence behind her.

   The impact didn’t even register. Fena’s left hand gripped Bolt’s hilt, but before she acted, she quickly reminded herself of who was standing before her. Even now, after she’d caused her to smash the back of her head against the steel of the gates, Fena didn’t feel any hatred toward her, or even any threat. All she wanted to do was help her, to protect her and if she could be lucky enough, get a chance to see her smile for once. Fena was certain it’d be the most beautiful smile she’d ever see.

   Was her strength not enough to solve this problem? Her father was treating her awfully and so was her brother, her brother was competing today and so was Fena, so Fena thought it was obvious that the only way to help out was to show that she was stronger than her brother, then Ruby would have no reason to not trust in Fena or believe that she could protect her. Where did she go wrong?

   “I-I truly am sorry for this Fena. We will take our leave now.” Koria curtly apologized, yanking Ruby’s arm and heading off toward the venue next to the academy.

   Just like that, the two girls she’d hoped to call friend by the end of the day were gone. Fena, still slumped up against the gate, sat there for a few moments and tried to process what in the world had just happened, what in the world she possibly could’ve said to cause such a stoic and fragile girl to blow up in such a way. People filtered in and out of the gates going about their business and completely ignoring her. Soon, their faces became a blur and that feeling, that awful feeling that Fena thought she had escaped, crept back into her mind, yet again. She was alone and if it was as cut and dry and that, she might’ve been able to cope with it, but it wasn’t, the people who’d helped her, one being a girl she’d never even met, who stood tall whilst severely outnumbered by powerful Shinobi and the other a kind woman who respected her privacy after a rocky introduction and attentively escorted her to the academy, had left her there after treating her like she’d was some monster.

   Fena’s eyes clouded, she hugged her knees into her chest and buried her head, desperately attempting to hide, she cried… and cried and cried and cried, it felt like she’d been crying for hours, she felt as though all she could do was cry. She knew that she had to get up, her dream was supposed to start turning into a reality from this day forward, but girl had snatched her beating heart right out from her chest, filling it with feelings she’d never felt before, feelings that scared her and excited her all the same, then crushed that same heart into a million tiny pieces and handed it back to her without giving the slightest inclination as to why.

   In the depths of her despair, Fena dared to even ponder a possibility that would snuff the flames from her eyes completely, “What if… Mom… Would she ever feel the same way about me…?”

   “Umm, hey? Are you lost? Oh n-no, wait a sec, there’s no way you’d be lost sitting right outside of the academy, right…?” A chirpy, male voice asked, laughing nervously. “…You worried about your match or somethin’? I get it; it’s super scary honestly. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?”

   Fena dared not lift her head. She held her breath, hoping that the boy would soon leave, but slowly, he shuffled toward her, he’d slide one of his feet forward; the sound of something rigid scuffling at the floor scraped at her ears. There’d be an awkward silence for a few moments and then he’d do it again. Fena tried to compose herself, hold back the tears just long enough so that she could tell him to go away, but she just couldn’t, the moment she’d open her mouth, the words would fall right back down her throat. I must look so helpless… so weak… I haven’t changed at all, Fena despaired. The spectre of her younger self that she thought she’d left strapped to a hospital bed haunted the halls of her mind. She couldn’t be her anymore, if she was, they’d take her mother from her; they’d take everything away from her.

   “I uh- I don’t know what it is that you’re fighting for, but it’s gotta be pretty important to you, right?... You’re strong, I can tell that much too. Don’t worry all that much about what’s getting you down right now, you’ll probably have a lot more times where you wanna cry and kick and scream, but that’ll be okay in the end if you can reach your goal right?”

   He’s right, Fena gasped to herself. Inexplicably, everything seemed so clear to her now. How in the world had she not understood this herself? It was okay to cry, it was okay to get angry, all the strange and weird feelings she didn’t understand all because of Ruby were okay too, she didn’t have to understand or resolve them all right this moment. Her dream was bigger than her, first she needed to defeat her opponent, whomever it may be and become officially recognised as a Shinobi of Origin’s Peak, then afterward she could cry, then maybe she could look for Ruby or Koria and try to speak to them again and sort things out.

   “Fena.” Fena blurted out.

   “Feee-what-now?” The boy sounded confused.

   That pissed Fena off. She raised her head furiously, squeezing her eyes shut as she yelled, “F-E-N-A, FENA… Was that loud enough for you?!”

   Silence. Everything from the chatter of the people around, to the sounds of their footwear scraping the ground, the distant bellowing of pious song in praise of The Goddess on her special day and the even lingering aroma of cooked meat that seemed to follow her even here on the highest peak of all the mountains in the village, all of it was gone, as though she’d been trapped in a glass globe, separated from the rest of the world around her. Was everyone staring at her? Was she in danger? Or had everyone disappeared? Her blood ran cold; shivers nipped at her sweaty back. The courage that the boy had just inspired in her seemed to vanish. Had he left her too? Even before he'd learned her name? Why did everyone always find a way to leave her?

   “Damn, you really got a good set of lungs on ya.” That same chirpy voice jested, laughing hysterically, “I thought I heard it right the first time, but I just had’da make sure we were singin’ in the same key ya know?”

   Fena jerked her head up from her thighs. her eyes shot wide open, as though the boy’s infectious laughter had sent a volt of electricity through her body. She scrunched up her fists; it didn’t make sense why he was laughing at her, yet as Fena scrutinized the boy’s image, her frustrations seemed to slowly fade into obscurity. He was a tall boy, far taller than Fena and such an observation gave rise to an ill-timed query, I wonder if he’s taller than Ruby, she thought. His hair was short and spiky and mostly dark blue, aside from the tips of his spikes and a small spot right at the top of his head, which were black; Fena mused to herself that he looked like a weird hairbrush, though she still thought it looked pretty cool. He wore a flashy, gold kimono that sported a myriad of black and white coloured symbols that looked relatively similar to each other, yet she couldn’t quite recognize them herself. A small, circular swell at the bottom, with a thin line at the top that sometimes rounded out into a hook looking shape, or back down into another swell, keeping the two symbols attached and some were even more intricately designed than that.

   “Uh… There somethin’ on my face or…?” The boy quizzically asked, scratching the back of his head and looking away.

   “You’re here to fight right? You must be fighting for something too…” Tears flowed from Fena’s eyes once more, she bit down hard on her words, “Why… why waste your time on someone like me?”

   The boy thoughtfully locked eyes with Fena. Something felt wrong. He seemed so earnest and kind, yet he’d no reason at all to feel such a way toward her. Fena couldn’t feel even a hint of malice coming from him, even as he laughed the air from his lungs three times over.

   “Wow, tough crowd… Well, I’d be lying if I said I’d never been booed before.” He let out a deep breath, then walked toward Fena, far more studiously than moments ago and plonked himself down on the dirt beside her at about an arms-reach. “You’re kinda right, but kinda wrong. Yeah, I’m here for a reason that’s way more important to me than dealin’ with some girl I just met cryin’ a river of tears, but that reason would absolutely kill me if she knew I left you sittin’ here on your own without offering a helpin’ hand.”

   Fena shied away, shuffling a little further from him; it shocked her that he’d already been able to tell that she wasn’t a boy. “You can tell?” She asked, startled.

   “Look, it ain’t the first time I’m dealin’ with a girl who’s going through a rebellious phase… ya kinda remind me of her when she was your age… though that was a long, long time ago…” The boy dispiritedly recalled, his words tapered off, a weak, morose haze clouded his dark brown eyes that were affixed to the ground.

   Suddenly, he sprung up to his feet, scraped the dirt from the backside of his black trousers and held both his hands behind his head, “It’s probably because you remind me of her that I spoke too much, so enough of all that sappy stuff,” He turned around toward Fena, extending a hand to here, “C’mon, we both got somewhere to be, don’t we? And… if The Goddess wills it, we both face different opponents and get a step closer toward our goals! Though I’d quicker piss in the midst of Galeforce’s winds than rely upon her favour.”

   Fena didn’t know what to say. Despite the boy’s blunt honesty, which she found herself actually appreciating, she struggled to bring herself to trust him. It all made no sense, yet it sort of did at the same time. Though he didn’t know her, though he’d never laid eyes on her before this day a few minutes ago, it felt like he knew her; like he understood her. Yet, it wasn’t Fena that he understood at all, it was someone else. Did that mean he wouldn’t hurt her? That he wouldn’t abandon her? Or was she just a substitute until that person came back? Ambivalence thrashed about her stomach, she thumped herself in the spot where she felt it most, then stood up without taking the boys hand, It’ll all be okay, as long as I can protect mom, she uttered to herself, finding her strength once more. “Galeforce… You don’t like that guy either?”

   “Eh, we’re old dance partners, I guess.”


© 2024 AWanderingTanuki


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on June 2, 2024
Last Updated on June 2, 2024