Forget Me Not - Prologue

Forget Me Not - Prologue

A Chapter by A.Holmes

Forget me not …

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To my beloved one for without him I would not be where I am today.

May your music never die.

Thank you for all that you have done and all that you have been for me.

I miss you like never before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prologue

 

1860 �" Vienna, Austria.

It has been twenty years since my dear Eric passed away. I cannot say in words how much I miss him. His presence can still be sensed. Sometimes I even think I hear him play the piano but it is just my mind tricking me.

Why is it only when someone close to us dies that we realize how thin a line exists between death and life? I cannot bring myself to understand but I am more aware now than I ever was of how precious life is and how much we have to treasure those we love.

It is unfortunately too late for he is gone and all that is left of him are memories and some of his belongings.

Everything of his is left untouched because it makes me feel he is still around. Poor soul of mine!

But as I write this I must confess that while I was searching for some letters we exchanged in our youth I found a little wooden chest locked that appeared to have something in it. Eventually I managed to open it only to find a simple letter in Eric’s handwriting that read as follows:

My beloved,

If you found this that means that I have gone from this mortal world.

But do not cry for now you have a guardian angel that will always look out for you as he promised he will. Your former one broke its wings again and I was called because He realized that my love for you knows no boundaries, my Aimee. This time the wings won’t break anymore. I promise!

I have known for quite some time that my days are numbered but I cannot say for sure what or who brought my end. But you need not worry you, my dear, are safe from any harm and you will live on to tell our story to the world so that anyone can learn from it. No one should ever make the mistakes we have done but we were young fools in love.

I am so angry , so angry at me for having to leave you alone when you most need me but I cannot help it my body is failing me and my heart is telling its last farewell .

I beg your forgiveness for all that I have done for I have done it for you and your well-being only.

Always remember that my love for you will never wither. Even in my dying hour I will think of nothing else but you my soul, my eternal beloved.

Alas I must put an end to this letter and your suffering as many of your tears will have already stained it.

P.S I hope you like the Forget Me Not flower I put in the chest as well. It was our flower, remember?

                                                                    Forever in your heart ,Eric.

I don’t know why but in that brief moment, after I finished reading, I felt it. I felt him watching over me and I felt safe, safe and heavy-hearted …

He was right of course. I could barely stop my tears when I read it. My only regret is that I discovered it too late. I could not thank him even though he knew I was grateful for everything.

I was by his side until the very last minute. He never once looked away from me. We cried together like a child would. None of us was prepared to bid farewell but time lost its patience and at 2 in the morning he… was gone. I was unable to do anything except holding him in my arms crying as all our life together just flashed before my eyes. 

I felt more alone than ever and my soul was tearing apart every time I looked at him. He looks like he is sleeping I said to myself in an attempt to calm down, but it was useless as I remembered I could not wake him up from his so called sleep. 

I spent the next months with the few friends I have trying not to think about him. But eventually I would burst into tears at the end of the day when I found myself alone in the house that used to be ours.  It never occurred to me how big our home was before. He always would lighten up the place just by being there.  How I miss the sound of the piano played by him, his laugh, oh God was it contagious, and his smile. His beautiful, beautiful smile, I was so happy whenever I could draw one from him.

A friend once asked me what was my most fond memory of Eric and I.  I knew exactly what to answer; it was clear as a bell.

My most dear memory of the two of us were our Saturday evenings when we would play the piano together for hours and hours just enjoying each other’s company and music. It was beyond comparison and it still is. Sometimes our hands would touch and then we would giggle and smile a bit and then go on.

Our love never grew old.  And we could not have been prouder.

Yes, the days with him were the happiest of my life and all the lives I have lived before. And as a finale testimony of my love I took on the responsibility of making his music known.  And also I want to grant his last wish to make our story known so that everyone can learn from it.

I wish we could have told it together but I am afraid I must speak for two. My voice shall be yours as well my beloved for without you I would not have a story to tell at all. You made me who I am today and for that I will be grateful till my last mortal breath.

 

 

I love you like I love salt in my food. Without salt food does not have any taste at all. Without you my life has no meaning at all .



© 2013 A.Holmes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on August 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: historical fiction, romance, London, 19th century, memoire, diary