Bureaucrats

Bureaucrats

A Chapter by Edwina
"

The new year brings a shock to Farleigh. The caboose becomes a definite possibility, and Brenda gets organized.

"
Farleigh settled into "the hermit phase" when he returned to Beltsville. He could smell Greta's cooking coming from her kitchen exhaust fan hidden behind the evergreen hedges. Brenda knew that she might not be hearing from him for awhile since he'd admittedly been locking himself away every New Years Day, and "beyond if necessary." The anniversaries of Edwina's and Frederick's deaths always required "isolation and contemplation." Aside from loading up on groceries, he had no reason to venture out of the house except to retrieve mail from the porch box. Even Greta knew better than to pester him in any way at the end of the year. If Farleigh needed help, he knew how to ask for it.

Brenda spent a few days packing up certain Christmas related items from the living room.Some of the "living room mannequins" could remain seated until Valentine's Day when they would be dressed in Red and White. A seance might also be in the works "shortly" if the weather co operated. Brenda was growing increasingly sensitive to the cold, and often trotted to her shop dressed in wool ski pants, and a Cossack Coat. Her fashion trend caught on with a few Bohemians in Georgetown, but the people of Riverdale Park stuck to ear flap hats, wool plaid car coats, and "fat" boots.

Daniel telephoned to say that he might be able to drop by on New Years Eve if Caitlin's "girl's and children only" party panned out. Joy had come up with the idea, and Caitlin loved the attention she gleaned through Henry's presence. He was a good baby, and laughed a lot most of the time. She had vague plans about getting him into "modelling or something," but that was not what Daniel had in mind. There would be many ongoing battles about the subject.

Brenda managed to get a quick look at the old caboose for sale in Hyattsville, and promised to buy it, if she could get permission to have it moved to her property. Jeffrey Larkin might not like the idea, but the yard needed a bit more "weirdness and celebration." The caboose was an old classic from the last century, and had not been damaged or altered in any way. It could fit onto a large flatbed, and get around most zoning restrictions. There was no way that she was going to allow the historical homes around her to turn into apartment houses, flopholes, and rentals. Classic Riverdale Park must reflect better days.

On January 6th, Farleigh recieved a letter from the county indicating a zoning change for the general area he had called home. The proposition meant that everything would be zoned "Industrial only." It was basically set in stone, and objections were "being heard," but not taken seriously. In a panic, he knocked on Greta's door, and asked if she had received the same notice.

She indicated that she had, and that if she got a good price for the property, she'd be moving back to Ohio to live near her sister. Farleigh wanted her to help him object to this deal, along with the Millers, but Greta said the Millers felt they were being forced out, and were too old to fight city hall.

Farleigh returned to the house and telephoned Brenda at her shop. She told him not to panic, that she'd talk to Mr. Griffin, and see what could be done.
Farleigh asked if he could come and stay at the Blundon house for awhile, and she said that it would be a good idea.

CJ Marks


© 2015 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
Added on December 13, 2015
Last Updated on December 13, 2015

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina