Big Success

Big Success

A Story by 2writerzIN1
"

A large girl by the name of Madge Lark tries gymnastics.

"

                  I walked into the gym terrified about what was ahead of me. My name is Made Lark and i am overweight.  Everybody i know teases me except my parents. I have tried a lot of sports...and failed. This was the last thing I wanted to do but a girl my age (which is 13) named Sue always tried to tell me I couldn't do anything. She was a star gymnast and I was going to show her tha I could do stuff if i tried.

                 The floor was cold until I stepped on the navy blue padding covering the ground. It was warm and damp. I walked with my mother over to the people who owned the gym and spoke to them.

                  "Hello. I am Helen Lark. I spoke with you over the phone yesterday about my faughter, Madge, taking classes here. She does not have any experience but would love a try." Mother said as she rubbed my shoulder.

                   The man stared at me for what seemed like decades. He studied me. I knew exactly what he was thinking. She's to fat.....She couldn't do this....She would break the bars. I wanted to scream and run out but I knew from over the years how to face a challenge.

                    He looked into my eyes. "Well Madge, you will start today. We can get you into the next class for beginners. It starts in five minutes. Get ready and meet us on the floor. Oh, and by the way, my name is Donald Marvy. Let me know if you need anything."

                    I smiled then walked away to a bench and got ready for practice. Mom gave me a little pep talk and I headed out to the floor. Everybody that was there( which was about 4 more other girls) were limber toothpicks. I felt so fat. Then Donald came out and told them about me and my name. I felt like a new student on the first day of school.

                    We walked out on the floor and I already had a friend. Her name was Claire and she was 1 year older then me and about to go into a competition. She wanted me to come but I told her it was my first day. She understood and we had other converstions throughout the day.

                  At the end of the day, I had found out that I could do a front  flip and a backbend walkover. I couldn't believed I had learned that in one day. I was so excited.

                 The next week i learned more and more. Claire went on to her competition and got 4th place. We had slumber parties which each other all the time. We were really good friends. Claire finally talked me into a beginner competition, where people my level would be competing against me. I agreed and there i was at the competition next Saturday. i ended up nailing up my flips and backbends. I was so proud of myself.

                  When I went back to school in August, There was sue, showing offf her gold medal. She was teasing me and I threw my 1st place medal at her and walked away. She couldn't breathe.

                 Later that day, I went to my locker and found the medal with a note on it saying CONGRATS! FRom Sue!

                 I thought it was sweet. I was happy I did gymnastics because I met a friend and found a sport I love and will continue. I don't care if I'm overweight. I'm getting fit and enjoying it. I have a special diet now. ANd one day, I just know I will beat Sue in a competition. I just KNOW it! :) I love gymnastics!!!

© 2009 2writerzIN1


Author's Note

2writerzIN1
Enjoy! let me know comments and corrections!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good short story. Without too much effort you could expand it a little, give more detail about the surroundings. Take mental pictures of each situation, slow down and tell the reader more. All in all i enjoyed it, i like that its inspirational to children! Keep writing!
k

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 6, 2009

Author

2writerzIN1
2writerzIN1

Kidwelly, Wales



About
Hi! My name is Tallulah! I live in The United Kingdom. I love it here. I live in an apartment above a bakery. I can sit out on my terrace and enjoy a scone while writing articles and stories. I have a.. more..

Writing