Project: Writer : Forum : Self-publishing

Self-publishing

17 Years Ago

Here's a question for you: self-publishing...yay or nay?

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Depends on your intentions, and how much time and money you have. It also depends on what you intend to publish. If it is poetry or short stories you are better off self-publishing.

I've published an anthology of poems with lulu and plan to publish my novel Elysium with them as well. With the anthology I didn't bother with all the services they offer for editing, formatting, marketing and the like. I published the anthology more because I've always wanted to have my poems bound into a book. Lulu was the perfect choice for that because I didn't have to buy 1000 books. Only the amount I needed.

With Elysium I will be paying for a professional edit, format, a professional review, and I will be purchasing one of their distribution packages. I also intend, when finances allow, to use some of their marketing services.

Like I said before it depends on how much time and money you have.

Now some people will try to completely dissuade you from self-publishing. They will say that no bookstores will shelve your books, no agent or publisher will have anything to do with you, and other such negative things. However, if you do your research you will find that what they say is not true. It comes down to sales usually. If you sell enough books publishers and agents will be more than happy to consider representing you. And bookstores will be more than happy to shelve your books. You have to consider too that it is hard work to get an agent or publisher to represent you anyway. And you have to watch out for the scam artists. Do your homework either way you choose to go. Neither path is going to be easy or lead you to fame and fortune. Be prepared for rejection slips too if you decide to go with agents or publishers instead of self-publishing. Don't let it get you down though. Agents and publishers don't always reject people because they don't like what you've written. They tend to reject writers because they already have their hands full with writers they are currently representing. If you do decide to go with traditional publishing, or finding an agent you need to work on your resume. Enter short story, or poetry contests. Send in your work to magazines. Work on getting smaller pieces published. That way when you sent in a query letter you can show them you have been published with other works. It's just like a resume for any job. The more experience you have the more likely you will "be hired".

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Yeah I have been considering it for my poetry, not for my main stories as I would rather save them for a more professional level. I would like to create a pseudonym for my poetry, so that in case it doesnt do as well, I can still have other stories attached to a different name. I do have someone who can illustrate my work as well and I reckon it could benefit both of us if we do well with it.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I was really against the whole self publishing thing. Then I inadvertently purchased a ticket to Agent Hell. Six months later I got myself out of that only to rack up enough rejection letters to never need wallpaper again. Admittedly my work is somewhat eclectic, meeting at that junction between Christian and Street. A friend of mine turned me on to Lulu and I have to say, that after doing some extensive research, I like the fact that I have more creative control over my product. The same thing is happening in music today: even established artists such as Fat Joe and Trina are going independent. Major labels, like major publishers, are only interested in work that fits an established pattern. A new artist with a new concept won't get a chance until s/he's sold so and so many units first, or has ten thousand friends on their MySpace. I know for a fact that if you have a following as a self published author you WILL end up with a contract. Zane ended up with a whole publishing imprint.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

nay ::tongue:: i agree with michelle