I Am Woman : Forum : Women's Writing Groups

Women's Writing Groups

5 Years Ago

I am doing research for a project in one of my class this semester and I would like to pose a couple of question: Do you think this group expresses "living folklore"? Writing can be a form of self-expression and healing, but does your writing hold any other significance for yourself? 

Re: Women's Writing Groups

5 Years Ago

I realize this is probably late for you, but to me, writing is living folklore in the same way as the departed folklore of the past.  Whereas the ancestral lore told us what people did, as well as their feelings and perceptions, it never really reached out and spoke to us, the children of the future.  Similarly, my writing is focused on the smallness that is my life, and is written to share with people of this time.  It makes certain assumptions about the mindset and the frame of reference these people likely have.  And, just like the lore of old, it asks for something in return, but only from the space and time that it occupies.  It is designed to be tasted and measured and harvested by other writers of today.