100 % Review : Forum

[reply] [quote]

http://www.facts4supplement.com/aqua-refine/

7 Years Ago

Aqua Refine:-How Does Aqua Refine Work?Aqua Refine Anti Aging Serum is made with a propelled organization of fixings to ensure you see and feel comes about rapidly and adequately. Not at all like other wrinkle creams that sit at the surface of the skin, this special equation infiltrates profound into the layers of your maturing skin and works from the back to front to repair harm. One fixing in the arrangement contains peptides that take out wrinkles by recovering lost collagen and elastin cells. Another key fixing in this supernatural occurrence serum functions as a characteristic skin plumper by lifting the skin out of inserted layers. The serum likewise gives the skin an extraordinary hydration treatment after each utilization. This progression is amazingly critical for wrinkle repair; as you age, your skin loses the capacity to ingest water and can make the skin dry out and frame almost negligible differences.

[reply] [quote]

http://www.facts4supplement.com/aqua-refine/

7 Years Ago

Aqua Refine:-How Does Aqua Refine Work?Aqua Refine Anti Aging Serum is made with a propelled organization of fixings to ensure you see and feel comes about rapidly and adequately. Not at all like other wrinkle creams that sit at the surface of the skin, this special equation infiltrates profound into the layers of your maturing skin and works from the back to front to repair harm. One fixing in the arrangement contains peptides that take out wrinkles by recovering lost collagen and elastin cells. Another key fixing in this supernatural occurrence serum functions as a characteristic skin plumper by lifting the skin out of inserted layers. The serum likewise gives the skin an extraordinary hydration treatment after each utilization. This progression is amazingly critical for wrinkle repair; as you age, your skin loses the capacity to ingest water and can make the skin dry out and frame almost negligible differences.

[reply] [quote]

http://neugarciniacambogiablog.com/pott-maxxx/

7 Years Ago

Now, you can amaze your companion. Because, the following time points get hot and also heavy, you'll be ready. Pott Maxxx can get you hard and ready to enter simply fifteen minutes. So, you could take pleasure in long lasting love making! The PottMaxx formula is made with natural components as well as aphrodisiacs. As well as, they could improve blood circulation to the penis as well as provide you maximum remaining power! Currently, you will not have to stress over awkward sex-related dysfunction. Yet, you should purchase now prior to materials run out! Buy it from here
[reply] [quote]

Need help with a chapter. Currently stuck.

7 Years Ago

Hello! I'm new to this site, and in need of help in the sense of what else to put into my novel. To give a little bit of background: This story is based in the modern day time, but refers to past historical events down to the early 70s. It's about a time where the world is on the brink of World War 3, caused by the North Koreans. Countries began to take sides after the discovery which started the tensions. The United States, Russia, and other countries banded together, after threats were made by North Korea and their allies and created a counter-attack/defensive force that is lead by a Russian war hero (main characters), Boyan Veselovsky. The force then made a special unit that it would need to help fight off the enemy countries. With General Veselovsky's approval, they picked 12 of the best men and women in the world fit for the job. Ex-soldiers, law enforcement, and mercenaries were all asked to be a part of it. But when you read the story, you'll come to find they are not average people at what they do.
In the story, the General (which the story is going off by first person) goes through each person's background; a life story. In on of the chapters, he goes through the background of his childhood friend. Basically how he describes her story, is by relaying it back to the reader as if a story. In actuality, she's really talking.
Anyway, so in her background, it talks about the platoon that she was assigned to after their platoon leader died in an accident involving an RPG, just before the Russians got involved in the Syrian conflict. She personally talks to the soldiers in her platoon and get to know them better. After a practise one day, she talks to her second in command about the old platoon leader's death, and learns that he despised him. This gets her suspicious, but not enough to look into it. But now, I'm currently on a part where she and her platoon got done with their daily routine, and she goes on a walk, but is accompanied by three soldiers from her platoon.
Basically, I need help in figuring out what exactly they could talk about, what they'll walk by, etc. I need some ideas that could potentially get me moving again from this spot.

If it helps, I can post what I have in the chapter so part, so it can give you some insight.
[reply] [quote]

Help Me

7 Years Ago

Hey guys, I'm new to the writing game. I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips on how to get a good editor.
[reply] [quote]

Don't leave me hanging. ...

7 Years Ago

Here's a special song in my heart, And I'll sing it all day long so we don't grow apart. Just have all the times of us in my mind, The one who knows my heart and what's left to find, I can't do all things I do without you my love So just keep me close to your hand like I'm your glove. And don't leave my side, Till I make you my bride. And don't leave me hanging Till you know I'm not demanding. You alone can see what's in my heart, And I can't deny this is your part. So don't let me down now, Cause in my heart I made a vow. Just let me love you, like tomorrow never came through. And don't leave my side, Till I make you my bride. And don't leave me hanging, Till you know I'm not demanding. And I love you more then I could ever do, Just to hold you close while these moments seem so few. So here are the words I wrote all about you, Words that came to be, that all became so true. I love you with all my heart and all my mind, Just hope to keep you close and by my side. Just I beg of your heart, not to leave me hanging.
[reply] [quote]

Great Choices

7 Years Ago

See my 19 books of short stories and poems at www.michaelreisman.net
[reply] [quote]

thanks for joining

7 Years Ago

Hi thanks for joining
I love to write
im unhappy when I dont have the time to write
i live to write
is anyone the same as me or am i crazy lol?
[reply] [quote]

Great choices

7 Years Ago

See my 19 books of short stories and poems at www.michaelreisman.net
[reply] [quote]

Please review my work!

7 Years Ago

Hey, I would love if someone could take a few minutes out of their day to go and glance over the prologue for my book Porcelain. It would mean a lot to me, and I would really appreciate the feedback, so thank you in advance! All feedback helps. I just want to be able to improve as a writer. Thank you!
[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hi there,

I joined your group today as a complete novice writer.  I have already reviewed a couple of writers today, although my reviews are more focused on what I enjoyed / my experience of reading the piece as I feel extremely unqualified to provide advice.

I have posted 2 'bits' of writing. One is called Lassitude it's a silly little scribble that I have labelled a 'poem' because I don't really know what it is!

The second is the first draft of a the beginning of a story I am writing called 'The Tourist'.  

If you happen to have the time and inclination to read and review them that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :) 
[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hi there,

I joined your group today as a complete novice writer.  I have already reviewed a couple of writers today, although my reviews are more focused on what I enjoyed / my experience of reading the piece as I feel extremely unqualified to provide advice.

I have posted 2 'bits' of writing. One is called Lassitude it's a silly little scribble that I have labelled a 'poem' because I don't really know what it is!

The second is the first draft of a the beginning of a story I am writing called 'The Tourist'.  

If you happen to have the time and inclination to read and review them that would be very much appreciated.

[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hi there,

[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hi there,

[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hi there,

[reply] [quote]

7 Years Ago

Is this still an active group of writers? It's a shame to see the mass amounts of abandoned accounts and groups.
[reply] [quote]

Brand spanking new

7 Years Ago

Hello,

I am new to this site and relatively new to writing. I have posted a draft of what I hope will become the opening chapter of a story. I would absolutely love it if anyone could spare a few minutes to read it and provide any comments. It would be a big help as it is partly biographical, I am interested to find if it makes sense / is in any way interesting from a different persepecive.

It is called 'The Tourist'.

Many Thanks
Matilda
[reply] [quote]

Writihg

7 Years Ago

This is an alliance filled with some awesome writers and it's aim will be seen soon,
so we need to expand as we support each others writing right? so lets concentrate on growing and please invite anyone you see that has potential in writing
[reply] [quote]

My Big Brother... Any Takers?

7 Years Ago

*Chapter One: Getting Started:* "You poor thing, I'm so Sorry! I don't know what to say, or what to do!" My friend Destiny is trying to cover her own shock of the fire by spilling out words that she means to be comforting, but are quite the opposite. I don't know if it's the shock itself, or the fact that I have had one too many beers and tequila shots that is making me emotionless and frozen cold. I don't want to be touched or talked to, I just want to be left alone. I explain to Desi (my nickname for her) that I appreciated her being there, but it was ok to leave the police station now. Part of the reason is wanting to be by myself, and the other is because her parents are staring at me behind a glass door with both grief, and disgust lingering in their eyes. They always thought I was the bad influence. psh, It was a mutal decision for her to listen to me... She gives her hugs and goodbyes and as she is walking out, a tall, dark haired, military built man with a goatee, leather jacket, and sympathetic look, enters the station and begins walking towards the police officer who is in charge of watching me. I see him glance at me with his hands on his hips, as the "nice" police guy over there quietly says something to him, while looking my direction; "Hello son, my name is Danny Miller, I'm the chief police officer at this station. We are so sorry to hear about your parents, and how you found out. Their emergency contact was a Miss Emilee Winters, and when there was no answer, we did a little extra digging to find your name as part of the family. My guys had resources from the neighbors on where to find this young lady, and unfortunately for a night like tonight, they found her drinking with some friends at a nearby house party. I know you have enough on your plate as it is, so if you'll just come with me and sign a few papers you'll both be free to go." I watched as this man looked at me before following the annoying cop I've had on my back all night, and suddenly, my gut twisted and I grabbed the nearest trash can to me, and completely emptied my stomach from the drinks, emotions, and confusion of the day so far. I got a closer look, and this time I feel mentally ill, a different kind of sick. I knew that face... "Oh crap, my brother is back." *** I never really knew my brother growing up; my parents had told me stories the few times that they were actually in my life, but it was always about how my brother disrespected them and chose to move away after my dad had offered him a position in his banking business. He came to visit a few times but I was never around much, and just remember him being a headache and arguing with my parents. He didn't want to be a part of it all because my parents were never home, and the rich lifestyle that came with it made them forget how to be parents. Not that they ever knew how to be in the first place; They adopted my brother and I when I was first born. Growing up the way we did, my brother felt it to be more for the spotlight to gain people's sympathy, and donate even more to their already lavish lifestyles. I know all this because when Devin moved out, he wrote me some letters to read as I got older. Of course, I believed my parents more than him, mainly because they gave me everything I wanted to get me to stay, and I was never punished for things. They gave light rules with little backbone. Compared to the life my brother offered me in the letters once I would come of age, I was perfectly content. I may not have had their love, but I mean, my own car once I got my permit, and friends to party with on the weekends? Why would you want anything else? *** I was sending half drunk selfies when I finally saw Devin walk out and coming my way: "Hey, Em." He said, as he began to sit on the coffee table in front of the couch. I was laying across on it while waiting for what seemed to be forever. "I know it's been a while, wow, you look so grown." (I casually rolled my eyes in my mind) "Umm, how are you holding up, do you understand what's going on? Officer Miller said you've been drinking, is that true?" *Oh my gosh, it's even worse than the letters* I thought to myself... "Yes, it's true. And duh, I understand what's going on, I'm not a child, Devin." He gave a look I wasn't use to seeing. A look of concern, care, and irritation. I watched as he kinda gave a half hearted chuckle behind an aggravated look. "Well, I can see how this is going to be already. Alright kid, let's go. Papers are signed and things are said and done, you're heading home with me" *Pop!* the sound of my gum was clearly made for the intention of a more dramatic effect. The surrounding cops looked at Devin with sympathy, but I don't think it was for my parents. "Wait, what? I'm not going anywhere with you! Just because you are my brother doesn't mean you can just show up an..." I couldn't finish the statement as my stomach decided to throw up what little sprite I had just filled myself up with, into the previous trash can I had just used. My eyes just kinda closed as my body was shutting down for the night. Devin just picked me up, nodded to the officers, and headed out the door. I believe him and I had the same thoughts by the end of the night: "And here we go..." *Chapter Two: Getting Settled:* I wake up to a throbbing headache, and complete and utter confusion as to where I am at. I see some pictures of old model cars, a chick calender, and a photo of a little 5 or 6 year old girl on a swing set. It looks like I am in the epitome of a man cave. I should know, I've been in enough guys dorms. No, nothing ever happened, just some making out. I had an image to keep up. There was a chestnut desk by a tall set of double windows. It had a laptop on it, and a filing cabinet nearby. There was some weight equipment on the floor, and I was laying on a pullout bed that I figured to be a futon couch/bed. In an attempt to gain some insight I got up and pulled my phone from my charger laying on a small end table near by, and looked at the text messages I had sent from the night before. " Oh yeah... the fire..." I sat in thought momentarily, before remembering, "and bleh, Devin" I said to myself. It's not that I didn't have sympathy over my parents, it's just I rarely saw them anyway, it's like it hadn't sunk in yet. The only "real" situation going on right now was how I get out of living, well, wherever the freak I am... *knock knock* I hear the sound at the door, and sat there awkwardly as Devin walks in with some Tylenol and juice. He throws the bottle my way and leans up against the wall near the light switch; "So... do you remember anything from last night?" He asks. I roll my eyes again, only this time, making it blatantly obvious. "I was a bit drunk, not blind or deaf, Devin. I know what happened. What are you even doing here, and where the flip am I?" I stated bluntly, with my arms laid across each other. "First, you gotta loose the attitude, kid. That won't work here." I chuckled, disagreeing. He just slowly exhaled with his hands together and fingers on his chizzled chin. "Secondly, you live here because after our, your... the fire, (he struggled to say parents) I became your legal guardian, as the only legal, and blood relative of yours. And third, you're in Colorado. A bit of a ways from Oregon." I stood up quickly at those words, as it was the only thing I was really paying attention to. "Dangit, what the heck, Devin? I don't want to live in flippen nowhere Colorado, away from all my friends with someone I barely know!" I clenched my fists in aggravation. "I'm your brother, Em, and you know me. Now, I can understand not being well acquainted after all these years, but that's not my fault. I tried. It was always them that kept you away. They barely gave me a chance." His voice was stern but calm, I could tell he is trying to watch himself, unsure of how to react, or how I'll react, so I just play it back on him... "THEM? THEY? could you be any less sympathetic??? Those may have not been your parents, seeing as how you dodged their love and support by leaving, but they were still mine, okay? And this isn't easy!" His face stilled and though I know I tugged something in him, I didn't feel it was sympathy for my feelings, but rather sympathy over the situation. Like I was missing something. I didn't care though, I may have played up my feelings a little much for someone who barely had a relationship with the people who adopted her, but I was not going to let him see that, I can tell he would use it right away to his advantage. *You brought me here, buddy* I said to myself. "Look." He said with a sigh in his tone. "Why don't you take some of that Tylenol and drink some of that juice. With as much as you drank, I imagine the size of your headache. I'm going to go downstairs and make up some breakfast. We have a lot to go over. In the meantime, you may as well unpack, because whether you like it or not, you're not going anywhere." I glared at him, and he gave a non concerned look as he turned to leave and head downstairs. I don't know how, but I will find a way to leave. This is NOT home. For now, I'll just call it getting settled. *** I get dressed putting on what little clothes I had packed in my overnight bag from the party the other night. I pulled out some light blue skinny jeans and a pink fluffy sweater shirt. Still not in a rush, I look in my side pocket of my bag, and pull out my really dark burgundy nail polish, and spend a few minutes painting my nails and going over things in my mind. "Em, you coming down, or do I need to come get you myself?" I walk down the stairs blowing on my nails to get them to dry. My expression matches my tone; "My name is Emilee, by the way, or did my "brother" forget already?" He smiled, as if I wasn't getting anywhere. "I've always called you Em. And you liked it. Everyone else who has ever met you has called you Emilee, and you liked the nickname because it was just another way of us being close, when surrounded by an uncomfortable situation. So, Em, pancakes or waffles?" He had the same cocky attitude as me. I didn't want to admit it must run in the family. The only thing I was willing to admit in my mind, was that I would have to play my normal game a little differently. Alright, game on. *** While sitting at the table, I'm taking bites of my pancakes watching him shuffle through paperwork and explain the way things were going to go. I had a trust fund, but I couldn't get into it until I turned 21, that was already a drag. He mentioned going to school and I about laughed in his face. I skipped school so many times, like he was going to get me to go. He talked about his job in the air force, some officer of some kind or another. Air force allowed him to work state side, that's another reason he got custody. Then he talked about rules and a curfew, then I really did laugh out loud. "Look, you can't just take me and start dishing out all this at once. I just went through something, okay? There's gotta be like a timeline for that or something." I scoffed under my breath. "Well, normally, under different circumstances, there could be. But considering you're halfway through the school year, and you have a lot of catching up to do, that's not as easy to work with. I'm not going to let you fail another grade." *who does he think he is??* "Look buddy, just because you have apparently done your homework, doesn't mean you have any chance at getting me to do mine." For a few minutes we sat in a dead stare. We were both giving each other looks, daring each other with the statements we had each just made. He gave a small smirk. "We'll just see about that." *dangit. I'm not worried, but this is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought.* *Chapter Three: School Zone:* The next day was Sunday, and we barely said a word to each other. We both wouldn't back down from anything we had to say, so we just stuck with basic chit chat, like "what kinds of cereal do you have?" or "when can we go shopping for female smelling shampoo and body wash?" I got my car here, finally. However, only being fifteen with just my permit won't get me very far. I need an adult, and unfortunately, he's the only current adult I knew. I decided to try for his good side. Or, make him think that anyway. Just until I got to know my surroundings, then I would take off, permit or not. The next day I got up and brushed my teeth while putting my dark, waist length hair in a high pony tail. I put on my only other pair of jeans I had with me, a black tank top, and burgundy top to match my nails. I grabbed my converse shoes from under the desk, and I even added a little makeup, for the whole full effect. I made sure I walked down more chipper than the day before. "Well, I'm honestly surprised to see you dressed and down here on your own." Devin said with a sip of his protein shake. "Yeah well, I figured if I was going to be stuck here, I may as well meet some new friends so your face doesn't have to be the only one I'm stuck here with. I said with a hinted smile. "Uh huh." He said. "I'm glad you just decided to do It my way. It's a lot easier, and you would not have wanted it the hard way." He said as he took his cereal bowl to the sink. He pulled a bag out of the fridge: "here, I packed you some lunch to take with you. I also put some money in your book bag in case you wanted to get something else, since I don't really know your tastebuds just yet." "Yu*p* I said, popping the "p" sound like I did the night at the police station with my gum, and flaunting the red shade of lipstick I had added with it. "Can you tone the makeup down some?" He asked, in a small glance. "What, you going to lay that out in your next book of house rules, volume two?" I asked, with complete sarcasm. "Nah," he said. "I'll let you have this one. Just so you can see how fair I can be." He added back. "I'm going to go start the car. You've got fifteen minutes." He said with his eyebrows raised as he walked out the door. At exactly fifteen minutes I walked out the door and got into the passenger side of the vehicle. "Cutting it close a little early on, huh?" He commented, while looking at the clock on the stereo. "Why, whatever do you mean?" I asked as if I was appalled, with my hands on my chest. "Alright then." He added, then pulled out to drive on. *** When we got to the school I was secretly surprised at how it looked. It was a lot, cleaner, than my old school. There were students going back and fourth between periods. Some sat on blankets outside, some under trees, and others just walking back and fourth from building to building. I hopped out of the car almost as if I was impatient to get out. I gave a half hearted wave, and began walking straight till he left the street. After a few minutes had passed, I walked over to the side of the building where I saw a sidewalk that looked like it headed straight into town. I started walking that way and looked over my shoulder in relief to see that Devin was still not in sight. As I turned back around I made a quick stop as I caught myself just before some curse words made their way from my mouth. "Devin! What the... heck are you doing?" I asked, as if he was the one in the wrong. "I was fifteen once too, ya know. I had a feeling this would be the morning outcome. I gave you a chance, Em. You should have taken it." This was the first time I had been this close to him. I could see his deep blue eyes. My 5"4 self couldn't really see his 6"3 or 6"4 body height till just then. "Yeah, well, you can't stop me from doing what I want." I said, as I tried to make it past him. "Bad Move" is all he said. Next thing I know, he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder like a literal sack of potatoes! "I am punching, shouting, kicking; but to no avail, his stupid military muscles have me at a complete grip. As we get closer I hide my face in his neck, mortified that all these new eyes are watching me be carried into school like a kid by my big brother! "Okay, okay! I'll go in! Just put me down, this is so embarrassing!" I said sternly, but in defeat. When he set me down I laughed it off as if we were playing around. Devin noted my plan, and went along with it, saving me from a bad first day. He held out my bag, and nonchalantly pointed his finger to the doors. The blatant stares began to die down, so I grabbed my bag from his hands, and managed to say "I hate you" between my red lips of a smile, and no guilt behind it. "That's fine. You can hate me all you want. Just do it while you're sitting in class. You have 5 minutes to get to your first one on your own, or all your new classmates will watch me carry you in I have to, in order to help you find them. I suggest you don't stall the full 5 minutes." He said, with a returned burn from this morning when I had gotten in the car in exactly fifteen minutes. "Ugh!" I stomped my foot in front of him without being too obvious to the others around me. He reached to grab my bag again, and with haste I turned around and walked forward. The last thing I wanted was being lifted on his shoulders again, that would make a great first, or, second impression... As I looked behind me, I saw him nod at who I could only assume was the principle. He literally had this all planned out. He knew my plans. "I have got to figure something else out I thought to myself, as I walked into my first class... "Welcome class. We have a new student with us today from Oregon. This is Emilee Winters. I am Mr. Chastmen. Id like you all to take some time to show her around if you see her having a tough time finding where she needs to go. Miss Winters, you can have a seat by Miss Davis, there in the back. Alright class, pull out your history books And turn with me back to..." I let his voice fade in the background as I turned to look for my seat. A pretty and pale blonde sat with her hand raised, motioning me to the seat next to hers. I gave a small smile as I set my book bag on my desk, and nodded in appreciation when the girl handed me an extra text book. "Hey there, my name is Whitney. I would be happy to show you around after class, if you want. This place can get kinda tricky." After class I began searching for the exits in the building to plot my escape. That's before I noticed Mr short, stout, "I wear a toupee" principle guy over there. He's apparently still making sure I get to my classes. Whatever. I spot Whitney in the midst of the rest of the other teens and give a smirk look back to the principle as I walk up to her, taking her up on that tour. "You've got to give it a couple weeks" Whitney says, as she notices my look in the "I spy the principle" game. "I'm sorry?" I say, looking her way. "The escape route you're trying to calculate, that's going to need to be a few weeks. Teachers and staff pay attention to the new kid for a few weeks to make sure they get settled, and well, don't run away." She says, with a grin. "For instance: just before I got to my locker this morning I saw a new, and really young looking dad talking to Mr. Hobbs, our principle. He was really cute so I stayed and listened. He was telling him about the girl he brought to school, and to keep a special eye on her cause she is kinda sassy and going through a rough time." "Ugh" I said, as she helped me with my own locker combination. "Was he wearing a military uniform? "How'd you know? Wait, is that..?" She asked in surprise. "Yes, I'm the girl they were talking about. That was my older brother." I added, with little enthusiasm. "Girl! Your brother is fine!" She added. I laughed it off. "Whitney, he's like twice your age. He is twenty-two. I'm sure young school kids aren't his thing." "Hey, I'm sixteen. Leave a girl to dream!" She plays off. I playfully nudged her side, and walked along with her. *she really isn't too bad, I like her. May as well at least make a friend while I'm here.* I said to myself in thought. *Chapter Four: Lunchroom Talk:* I take a seat next to Whitney and she begins introducing me to the others around her. "Hey guys! This is my new friend, Emilee. Today is her first day. Her super hot brother brought her to school." "Really, Whitney?" I say with a chuckle and rolling my eyes. "Ooh, the army guy I saw talking to Mr. Hobbs? Yeah girl, he is that for sure." Says an outspoken black girl, with crazy beautiful curly hair that goes down to her shoulders. She sits down with us, and Whitney begins the introduction: "Emilee, that is Cassie, she doesn't mind speaking what's on her mind. The short haired blonde sitting over there with her phone to her face is Amber, and over there with the brown hair in a bun is Jennifer. This is our group. Small, but we get around just fine." Whitney says. "So, what's your story?" Cassie blatantly states, not minding her own curiosity. "Well... I'm from Oregon and lived there up till 3 days ago. My brother and I were adopted when I was born, but my brother moved out at an early age, so I didn't really know him much. My parents... well, they died in a fire... I wasn't very close to them, but it still hurts, and I feel like I have lost a whole part of myself." The girls looked at each other in not so subtle horror for what they had just heard. I decided to quickly change directions of the conversation. "So, anyway, the police called my brother because he's technically my legal guardian, and I had to come here and live with him until I'm old enough to move out on my own. Which wouldn't be so bad, except I just turned fifteen." "That must be so comforting though, that you had your brother to come in and whisk you away from the tragedy. I would love to have an older brother!" Jeniffer says, clearly showing me she is the sensitive one. "Amber has one, but he's a geek." She states. "Hey!" Amber adds, while throwing her hands up momentarily, before going back to texting. "Yeah, well, I would rather have a geek that let me do what I wanted." I say. "I had a pretty awesome life. I just got my permit, and my parents had gotten me a car, so the past few months I've been hooking up with friends and going to parties." "That's what I'm talking about!" Amber chimes in. "I just got my car taken away, so we should take yours. I have a fake ID, so We could hit the streets without worry of you only having a permit." Whitney is looking at her and rolling her eyes. "Ambers not the best one to take advice from." She says. Amber just looks her way and sticks her tongue out. "Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could. At least, not right now. My brother is way too controlling and protective, I doubt that could happen any time soon. Jennifer looks at me with whole hearted jealousy. "Aww! You are so lucky! I have always wanted a big brother like that!" She states wishful. "Trust me, you don't." I say. "He may be my big brother, but any takers??" *** The bell rang and the first day was finally over. Though I was having a decent time with the new faces I had met, I was still overall ready to go. School is not my forte... I'm sitting on the school patio with the girls, when I see Devin pulling in. "Aww!" Jennifer throws out. "He's even coming to pick you up!" I give her a scrunched look. I tell them bye and pick up my bag and walk over to the silver Nissan Altima, that is apparently waiting for me and not leaving. "So, how was the first day?" He says, as I'm buckling my seatbelt. "It could be better if I didn't feel like I was being babysat all day. What are you even doing here? They have busses, you know." I snap. "I noticed." He says. "But, I got out of a meeting early and thought I would come pick you up and see how the first day went. Figured we could go get a milkshake or something if you were up to it." "You could take me to the airport, get me a ticket, and fly me back home. I would be up for that." I say, a little less than sarcastic. "Not happening, kid." He said as he shifted through the other vehicles. "Why do you insist on calling me That? I'm not a kid. Haven't been for a while." I glare. "No? Well, in my book, no longer being a kid comes with manners and maturity; something you clearly haven't been raised to know." He says these things with no apology behind them. My mouth just drops open, as I look at him with curiosity. "What do you even know? I mean why did you even take me anyway if I'm just going to be a pain for you?" I ask, curious back. "Em, I didn't take you. I have wanted you to come live with me since I turned eighteen, but the court system thought a married couple with money and stable jobs was a lot better than blood, and a basic apartment." *psh, I'll say...* I add under my breath. He just looked at me with his eyebrows raised. "Anyway, when what happened, happened..." He said as he looked over, searching my face for emotion. Then continuing when I didn't show much; "I got the call and was sad for the circumstances, but more than happy to take you in. I've wanted that for a while. Then, when I saw you in the police station, I was a little apprehensive at first, but when the chief pulled me into his office to talk, and told me the kind of life you have been use to, where you were, and what you had been doing, my mind was even more made up." I begin taking my headphones from my pocket and hooking them up to my phone to listen to music. "I know this may not be what you want right now, and I can understand, I came from the same life you did. But it's not what you needed. You deserve so much more than just money thrown at you, and little stability. I'm here to make sure you get it..." I just looked at him and kept my thoughts to myself, while putting back on my Rihanna station. I was beginning to enjoy having a blood relative around, and though I wasn't use to all the attention, it had it's minimum times of being nice. He was just going to have to learn that I liked my life though. Or at least parts of it. And I'm not changing who I am just for him. *Chapter Five: A Matter Of Time:* On our way home, it was the first time I had really seen the surroundings of where Devin lived. The school was of course in the city, but up the mountains some, about 30 miles out was where Devin lived. It was kind of a lonesome view for one who was use to such city life. He has only lived here for about two years, when he finally saved up enough to move out of his apartment. Out my bedroom window I could see the view of the city. It was huge, but definitely more my atmosphere than trees and grass. It didn't seem so spectacular to me, personally, but he liked the calmness away from the life he had in the beginning. Pulling into the driveway I noticed for the first time, on the side of his wrap around porch there was a hammock. *I'll have to use that sometime* I thought to myself. "Alright, I'm going to go in and take a shower. Just uh, work on any homework they gave you and when I get done I'll start dinner." He said, taking off his work boots once we entered the inside. I just nodded and waved my hand behind my head as I grabbed a granola bar from the counter, and headed upstairs. A few hours later, Devin knocked on the door and came up to tell me dinner was ready. When he walked in I had to visually see him trying to get my attention. I took my earphones out, and nodded. I put them back in when he started to walk out, and looked over to see my scattered homework. "Em, why does it look like you've barely touched this? Em... Emilee!" He said, as he walked over and took my earphones out. I just looked over in surprise. It was the first time I had heard him say Emilee since I've been here. "Oh, I'll get it later." I said, propping my feet back up against the bed. "Em some of this stuff is due tomorrow, how are you going to get all of it done by tonight?" He says, waiting for an answer. "I'll work on it some tonight but it's not that big of a deal. I've gotten plenty of C's and D's before. I just need a B in something to stay afloat." "Alright, this isn't going to work." He says, while reaching over and taking my phone. "Hey! Whoa, what are you doing?" I yell, quickly getting off the bed. "C's and D's, seriously? I knew you were falling behind, but I thought you were doing better than that. What reason do you have for getting such bad grades?" He asks, in a serious tone. "I don't know. Mom and Dad didn't care as long as I kept the B. I just got busy, okay?" My irritation began matching his. "Alright, well, I can help with that." He says more mildly. "Dinner is about to be done, you might wanna eat fast so you can get started." "What about my phone!? Hey, give me back my phone!" My yelling doesn't seem to be making a difference, so I begin stomping my way to the door, and jumping a step back when he quickly turns around. "I know you're not use to this." He starts; "But I'm also not going to let you keep going like you were before. These grades won't get you anywhere in life, what will you do to support yourself, Em?" "I've got a trust fund. I don't have to choose what you did." Apparently that was not the answer he wanted. "Seems like you need a lot more focus then I thought." He says, laying his hands on my books. "I'm taking your phone. You can get it back when this is done." "Devin! That is so unfair! Ugh, Devin!" His nerve sent me over the edge on the roller coaster of emotions. At this moment, I really missed home. I missed my parents not caring, I missed my friends. It hadn't even been a week yet, how in the world was I going to last living here till I'm eighteen??? ***Four months later*** "Hey Em; Whitney, Jennifer, Cassie" Devin says, while walking into the kitchen. "Hey there" They both say. I believe they both have a crush. Whitney, actually on Devin, And Jen, l think, just is jealous of the brother/sister relationship. Since becoming friends, I learned that Jen and I had a similar parent situation going on. Not that her parents adopted her or anything, but they had wanted no children, and her mom getting pregnant was a surprise. Like me, her parents were never around much, and often left her with a sitter. She has never had a brother or even sister to look after her, and though her parents are still alive, she doesn't see them much at all. She's even been jealous the times I have gotten in trouble. I know what its like to go unnoticed, but she really needs to walk a day in my shoes... "Hey, umm, Devin?" I say, as I feel Whitney nudging my arm underneath the table. He stops and turns my direction, while eating a bag of popcorn. "I was just going to let you know that you can choose the movie Friday night, I'm going out with Whitney, and Jen. "Alright." He says, and I'm pretty sure I've scored. "Wait, Amber isn't going anymore?" Jen just throws out there. I look at my friend with pleading eyes. "Oh, oh that's right. I mean yeah, she cancelled a few days ago. So..." I put my hands to my face. She tried, but this is exactly why Whitney and I plan stuff then tell her right before it happens... Devin looks at me with one eye arched upward. "Ah, Ambers going?" He asks in a question of sarcasm. ...Remember when I said I had gotten in trouble before? Well, it was usually from going along with one of Ambers ideas. I'm not sure how he knew where we were, but Devin found out about the time I skipped class to go with Amber, Tanner, and Luke to the lake. We lost track of time, and when we got to the shoreline of the lake hidden behind the trees of Ambers dad's property, her dad was standing there with Devin. It was the first and only time he was upset enough to ground me. Amber just got scolded. But she didn't care. Why couldn't that have been me? I've learned there are a couple of things I can kind of make my way around Devin with, but school is not one of them. He takes it way too seriously. "Yeah, well, it's going to be a small party so I'm sure she can find someone else to hang out with while I hang out with the rest of the girls." I cut my sentence short from Whitneys foot kicking my leg. (I have gained so much more internal bruising since our friendship started) I realized I had let it slip about the party. Devin looked at me with a facial expression with the highest form of "not happening" placed all over it. I could tell he was just trying to be casual while my friends were there. "No." He said, before popping a few more pieces into his mouth. They just looked at me, and pushed me on to keep trying. They had never been around when situations like this happened between him and I, and even though it usually went his way, I didn't want to look bad in front of them. "But Devin, that's not fair!" Well, I opened it. I could have left it, but I just gave Devin the green flag. "Okay ladies, Emilee won't be going with you Friday night because the last time she was going to go to a friend's house, I got called by the parents to come pick her up because Ambers brother heard them talking about the lake, and watched them skip school to go. So, I'm sorry, you can plan to come here, but she's not going to a place that I can't keep an eye on her, and even more-so, where I can't keep an eye on the boys there with her." I could have went without the embarrassment, personally, but at least I found out how Devin knew about the lake. He finished up and walked out with a very satisfied look on his face. I just scrunched my face and stuck my tongue out while he wasn't looking. "Aww, did you see how protective he-" I stopped Jen in mid sentence. "Don't even go there..." *Chapter Six: All Fun And Games.* "So, what now?" Cassie asks, "Try to do something else, or find a way to go?" I've got some thinking to do about this, and the best place to do my thinking is Dotson's pizza and arcade. I ask the girls what they think and they all nod, and agree. I was going to drive but unfortunately Cassie's older sister, Tonya, who was going to be my over twenty-one year old adult, decided last minute that she wanted to go to the movies with her own friends. Personally, I think it had to do with a certain Travis Aldridge... The bus is the only other option that doesn't involve Devin, and even still it's at least 20 miles out with us living more in the country side. Oh well, Devin it is. Once we get to the arcade I look at Devin with a pleading look before he curves his eyebrows and pulls a $20 out of his wallet, and hands it to me while playfully rolling his eyes. Even though I have a trust fund, one of the joys of being a teen is that I still can't get into it until I'm an adult, so until then, my income comes from his back pocket. He tells us he'll be doing some stuff in town for a bit before coming back to get us, so we roughly have a few hours. Whitney and Cassie go to order the pizza, while Jeniffer and I go hit the machines for some coins. They're still in line waiting to order, so Jen and I decide to get things going with a game of air hockey. We start off in an epic tie, then with a quick and continuous move she hits it in my slot 3 times, sending the buzzer and lights off for her win. I high five her efforts, and we go off in search for something else. By the time the pizza gets to our table, Jen and I have already finished 2 games of family feud, and I watched her as she got the highest score on the pinball machine. As we're munching on the pepperoni goodness, we're listening to Cassie giving us the latest gossip on when she saw Tonya and Travis kissing outside her bedroom window. Tonya is in college, so to save money she is still living with their parents, and often gets spotted by Cassie's need of curiosity to sneak up and watch her big sister. I catch a glimpse of Jeniffers soft eyes, and shy smile looking down from the other side of the arcade; A group of older teen guys at least a grade or two ahead of us, are all flirtatiously looking at our table. Jen is very innocent minded, and her lighthearted tendencies is what gave the guys the notion to try and give her attention the most. It wouldn't be so bad, except it turned from smiles across the building, to them walking up and trying to come near us. Out of the three guys, the one with the sandy blonde, skater boy haircut was beginning to get the most obnoxious once he realized we wouldn't give them the attention they wanted. The other two followed as if they were a pack, and skater boy was the leader. The arcade was kinda known as a hangout spot, and if you werent buying something the owner usually sat in a back corner watching sports, completely oblivious to what's going on, and leaving people like these guys lurking around. The two other guys began praising their friend, (who's name we learned was Brandon) into finally going overboard when he reached over and grabbed Jeniffers arm, and pulled her out of the seat, moving her around in a dance of mockery. The two others stood on both open side's of the booth, making it difficult for any of us to get out and stop it, and the arcade being too loud for the owner to hear from his sports game that something was going on. I'm watching my poor friends cheeks burn a blushing pink into her skin before I see Brandon's shirt tighten around him, and turning my face to see Devin standing there. Brandon quickly lets go and tries to plead his way into Devin letting go, trying to play it off as all fun and games. I stood up quickly and went close to Jen to see if she was alright, so I didn't get a chance to hear what Devin was actually telling them, but all I know is that Brandon gave a scoffed look when Devin finally did let him go, and looked around as if his image had just been blown to the other regulars attending the arcade. Devin assured Jeniffer that they were just a bunch of high school punks, and that they weren't going to bother her again, and if they did, that she was more than welcome to let him know, and he would take care of it. I thought she was going to fall out of her chair. She had a grin completely covering her face, and I knew that she had just had her first "big brother" moment that she had pictured for so long. *It was sweet of Devin to do that, although I suspect Jen will now find herself in those situations a lot more often.* I smiled and thought to myself. *** Once we got home from dropping off my friends, I felt the need to actually let Devin know that I was appreciative of him doing that for Jen. I gave him a simple side of her upbringing, to help him understand that it meant a lot to her. "Of course." He goes on to say: "I will be forever glad to keep teenage boys off of you, and your friends." How did this turn into something about Me? The one time I actually go to say thanks for someone else, and he brings it back around to me. "I don't need help with that." I add, with not as much appreciation. "Well, I'll still be around whether you want me to be or not." He says this with his shoulders and hands raised in a cocky, big brother kind of way. I roll my eyes, and head to the kitchen to find myself a snack, since I didn't get to finish my pizza. I walk back in the living room and sit on the couch with Devin, watching some old twilight zone episode. He reaches over for a handful of my popcorn, and I reluctantly hand him the bag. "So." He states, in a momentary pause. " You haven't been seeing any guys, right? I mean, it only been a few months, so I hope you aren't, but I still want to check in. Especially after seeing those perverts around tonight." *And here we go, big brother, act two." "No, Devin. I'm not. And even if I was, I wouldn't be telling you. I'm old enough to make that decision myself, and if I want to date, I will." I say, quite convinced at my efforts. "You can think that all you want, but if you're not telling me the truth, and I find out otherwise and that anything is going on between you and said boy, just know he's not the only one I'm going to be coming to." I grab my popcorn bag from his hands and promptly get up to head to my room. I look back at him and glare from the staircase, waiting for him to take it back, and when he doesn't, stomp the last 3 steps to my room and shut the door. Laying back on my bed I'm stilled in wondering thought; *am I eighteen yet?* *Chapter Seven: Flashbacks & Fish:* Well, here it is, July 1rst. Last full month of summer. I have enjoyed myself with my friends so far. Although, last week at the arcade was pretty unexpected. Still, since then Jen has been on it to find another damsel in distress moment. I'm waiting anxiously for Devin to get back from work so I can talk to him about going camping with Whitney and her parents this weekend, and twelve year old brother, Jared. I would definitely say she is my best friend of all here. If it weren't for her I probably would have had plenty of miserable days. Devin finally gets home and I explain my weekend plans. He has already met Olivia and Chase, Whitney's parents, so he agrees with little questioning. Every year her family drives further up in the mountains during the summer time to go camping. They do it old school, with real tents and campfires, and fishing in the lake. I've always wanted to go, but my parents were always too busy to go. I remember the first time they ever said yes, and it was the last time I had ever asked... ***Flash back. 10 years old.*** "Hey mom!?" I called out, while searching around the house looking for her. I finally found her in the first place I probably should have looked, her home office. "In here, darling" She called back, and I instantly knew I had about 10 minutes till her next phone call because whenever she talks so elegantly, she is preparing to make counter offers to the other bankers, and flirt her way into a better income. "Hey, I was just wondering, you know that camping trip I have been asking about for a while now? Well, it's the last month of summer, and if we don't go, another year will pass, and you promised." I look in plea. "Oh dear, we forgot again. The business is just taking off so well right now, and there is too many meetings to compromise... I'll tell you what though, your father and I need to go out of town this weekend, and I can find out what camp grounds are nearby. I'll take my laptop, and can do my work from there." She says. I'm so excited. Finally we are going on the trip that has been promised to me for the last 3 years. I get our driver to take me to get all the things I need to be able to really have a good time. Finally Saturday arrives and we pull into a camp ground that has a few other campers and RVs. It doesn't seem to look much like a campsite, but then again, never going camping before I don't really know what to expect. I look around and see some families setting up their sites, campers and grills. Some families have kids, others are just older couples, probably on some anniversary trip. A few hours after getting settled I grab my barbie fishing pole and take it to my dad. "Ready to go?" I ask him, Feeling pretty confident with my pink rain boots, and matching sun hat. I saw some teenagers in a canoe already fishing, and wanted to go before they caught all the fish. "Emily, ladies don't go fishing. You can play in your costume, but your mother and I have already decided on a nice restaurant around the corner." He says. I pause with much sadness. I was ready to go, and had been looking forward to this for a while now. Oh well, maybe when we get back we can still roast smores at least. When we do get back, my dad hands me a bag of marshmallows from the mini mart here at the camp grounds. There is no fire, no stick. Just a few marshmallows and a pack of raisins. And the afternoon bike ride the next day? Well, I didn't even ask about it when I came back inside from playing at the local play ground, and found them both on their computers and phones. I waved, but they both shushed me and pointed back outside. On the way home I was quiet. They asked me if I enjoyed my first camping trip, but before I even got a chance to answer, they were already asking each other questions. I learned after that not to ask to go camping again. *** I shake my head at the old memories, and try to make myself clear my thoughts by getting ready for the trip. I pack my bag, and put on my converse shoes, and grab a few final things before looking out the window and seeing Whitney's parents pathfinder. Oddly enough, there is a canoe strapped to the top. I head downstairs and catch Devin on the couch watching a game. I tell him bye, and give a light roll of the eyes when he follows me out to see her parents, and yells "behave" for anyone to hear. On the way there, Whitney, her brother and myself are continuing our 5th round of uno. Jared is definitely the competitive type. He seems to be a typical younger brother, and if it wasn't for his friend Jaxson, meeting us there, I would probably get annoyed by him before too long. But he's alright for a few hours. This campsite, isn't a campsite at all. There is trees, a gorgeous river, no mini marts or other campers. It's just a peaceful place with nature as our only neighbor. The smell was absolutely refreshing, and I got pretty excited when Jared, Jaxson and Mr. Chase head into the woods to get firewood while it's still daylight. I help Whitney set up our tent, and all through it we are laughing and keeping conversation as if we were made to do this every weekend. By the time we are finished getting everything ready, Mr. Chase is building the fire. He's passing out smore sticks, and whitney, knowing my background winks while passing me the marshmallows. There is so much more in store for tomorrow, and I cannot wait. I spend the night truly sleeping under the stars for the first time. "Star light, star bright, Good night" *Chapter Eight: Peaceful Surrenity:* I wake up to a cool breeze hitting our tent in the early morning. I am satisfied staying in the warm comfort of my sleeping bag, but suddenly get the urge to wake Whitney up and go outside when I smell the sweet scent of a campfire breakfast. After unzipping the tent and laying a soft blanket over the log we were sitting on last night, I walk over to Mrs. Olivia, and look down to see all the best cooking supplies she brings with them on trips. It's like dishes you would normally find in your kitchen, but more travel like. Her flat cast iron stove is surrounded with pancakes, sausage and eggs. She also has a couple kettles. One with hot tea for the cool of the morning, and the other with water for anyone who wants a nice warm bowl of oatmeal. It doesn't take long before the boys are unzipping their tent, and walking out with anxious stomachs themselves. "Where is Daddy?" Whitney asks her mom, while looking around their tent and not seeing him. "He's already over by the river." She says in her southern accent, born and raised in Alabama before the military brought her Mr. Chase, and they moved here. "He's been over there for a good 45 minutes if one of y'all want to walk over there and tell him breakfast is almost ready." "I will!" I say, Anxious to walk over and see what he's doing with the canoe. As I step a little behind the trees I see him sitting there, finishing up a little further inspection on the canoe's. We have 2 because Jaxsons dad brought his with him when he dropped Jaxson off for the weekend, so we could do some water activities together. "Morning, Mr. Chase. Your wife says to hurry and come get breakfast while it's still warm." "Haha, yeah, she's probably saying that because the boys just woke up, and they are probably about to devour the bacon like hungry bears." He says, with a smile. I smile back. "Well, is there anything I can help you with? I ask, in complete interest. I'm not sure what it was, but over the short time of getting to know her family, I had grown a very strong liking to her parents, but especially her dad. He treated me like I've been a part of the family the whole time. Last night, he was telling scary stories at the fire, and it completely worked for him because he's about 6"4, and naturally bigger built, with mainly all muscle from his military days. He has short dark black hair, but it's kinda scruffy, with a similar looking beard to match. He would remind you of an old mountain man, but as gentle and kind as can be. "Sure honey, you can grab me that tackle box over there if you'd like." He says, not minding the company. I'm admiring his craftsmanship as he takes his bait out, and shows me several different ones he has made from fly fishing. "Now later tonight, if you'd like, you can help me use these guys to catch some fish for dinner. Olivia comes from a southern background, and I'll tell you, she can cook some fish." He says with a chuckle. Soon he sets everything down, and gets up as we both walk back over to the fire, where we all enjoy a great breakfast. *** Dishes are cleaned up and put away, and I'm anxious to go on the trail they have told me all about since we first met. Apparently, it's through a really pretty part of the woods, but at the end there is a separate pool of water from a small waterfall. They say because it's up in the mountains, it's one of the most clear water spots you'll find. We put our swimsuits on underneath our clothes, and Jaxson and Jared are both following alongside each other, holding a cooler full of drinks. The trail is beautiful, and so kept up. It's like someone comes here just to keep it looking nice, but Miss Olivia says it's a natural trail, so there isn't much keeping up to really do to it, therefore it pretty much stays like this year around. There is only a few sticks and benches we have to move or pick up to get through. When we reach the end I am absolutely amazed by the view. It's like a painting that someone famous drew, just missing the double rainbow across the sky. The water is just as clear as they said, and it absolutely glistens. Now I know why this was made their camping spot, and why they come back every year. There is a hand made rope swing on one of the big trees near the water, and a small pathway up the waterfall to canon ball into the water. They have been coming so long, that none of them worry over the rickety walkway up, but I take my chances with the rope swing instead. Even their parents got in the water, and soon everyone was splashing and having a good time. The boys continued up the waterfall, while Whitney took a break and laid out with a cold drink to cool off with. I sat swaying back and fourth on the swing, while my eyes caught the attention of Mr. And Mrs. Davis just about dancing in the water. They are obviously in love. I sat for a few minutes longer, beginning to wonder what it could have been like to see my parents that way. I always thought they were in love, but it must have been a different kind of love, because it's nothing like the way Chase and Olivia show their feelings. They are always doing something for each other, and trying to make each other smile. They fuss a little, but never truly argue. Miss Olivia keeps her blonde hair put up most of the time, and because she does, Mr. Chase likes to casually embarrass her with flattery so her cheeks will turn red, and make him smile. They are perfect relationship goals for 22 years of marriage. My thoughts don't keep me much longer before I hear Jared yell right before jumping onto the rope swing himself, causing us both to fall into the water, and get everyone's attention enough to laugh. I get out and head to land to grab my towel and dry my face off. I pick up my phone and see a text from Devin: *Hey kiddo, just checking in. Hope you're having a good time. Let me know soon, k? Enjoy yourself... but not too much.* I smile to myself. There is times I don't mind his concern. Never having it before makes me feel more like his family, and not someone he uses for display to show others how good of a job he is doing. Just genuine care. I send a quick text back and jump back in the water for a bit more. *** Once we are all a bit more dried off, it's time to fish and catch our meal. After the required life vests are secured tightly, Jaxson and Jared hit the water in their canoe, and Mr. Chase, Whitney and I get in the other. Miss Olivia stayed behind to get things ready for dinner. Now normally you would use a fishing boat to catch fish, but they liked to use canoe's so they could boat across the minor water rapids for some fun before actually having to stay still for a while to catch the fish. We had a blast doing that. There was such a rush to the feeling of being on a boat ride with streaming water that didn't involve being at a water park. The scene was surreal and the peace was undeniably nice. Once we started actually fishing I was so excited to get some bites that I stood up and almost tipped us all over the boat! Luckily Mr. Chase had good control over the canoe, though when the fish hit the bottom and started flopping around next to me, I'm not so sure he could control his laughter the same way. When we got back to the site, her parents began cleaning and cooking the fish, while we all spread out on our sleeping bags and played a few rounds of uno. We were all more than hungry, and tired of Jared winning, when Miss Olivia announced food was ready. The food smelled great, and Mr. Chase smiled my way when he caught me just looking around at the family next to me. I enjoyed every minute so far. I sat laughing with them about the day we had all had while eating the delicious food Miss Olivia had cooked for us. Back in the tent, Whitney and I enjoyed some private time together before the night was completely up. We would leave tomorrow afternoon and I was not ready for it. This was the best vacation I had ever had. I wondered if Devin had ever been here. Tomorrow was another day back to reality, but I enjoyed the time away while I had it. I'm already looking forward to next year! *Chapter Nine: Extra Company:* "Boys" Miss Olivia calls out. "You need to stop running around and help us get stuff together to go. Jaxson, your dad will be here in about 20 minutes. Jared, help your father tie the ropes over the canoe." We're getting things ready to go, and I catch myself multiple times in a fogged stare of this beautiful place, not feeling ready to leave. I had a wonderful time, and in just a few days learned so much about what it's like to be around a loving, and functional family. I have thought a lot about my parents growing up, and it became clear that when the fire hit, there was more understanding as to why I was in more shock, then heartache. It does sound bad, I know, and not that I'm pleased over what happened, but to take something good out of something bad, I can just clearly see how my life has changed. I feel like I can offer myself so much more then I ever did. I enjoy the small things now, like camping trips and sleepovers, rather than parties and getting tipsy, or more. I have a want to figure out who I am, rather than be someone for someone else. No, this crazy profound moment of in-depth thought didn't just come from a camping trip, but rather just reflecting on the past couple months, and learning quickly that I am growing attached. Jaxsons dad pulls up, and Mr. Chase helps them tie off their canoe as well. We all say our goodbyes and hit the road to head home. I've already let Devin know that we are headed home, and he asks me about grabbing dinner later and telling him about the trip. I'm actually excited about telling him. "Thank you so much for inviting me, Whitney!" I say as I embrace her into a full hug. "I had such a good time, and your family is just awesome. I hope you know how lucky you are." Whitney just laughs it off, but I mean what I say as I wave to her and her family, thanking them again for the wonderful time! Devin steps out of the house and nods a "thanks" in their direction. He asks if I want to wait to go to dinner later, or if I wanted to grab lunch now. Amongst all the gathering and cleaning today, I realize I hadn't eaten since this morning, and decide lunch sounds terrific. On our way into town I don't think I stop talking for a minute. Devin is just smiling at my good times, and laughing that Jared had climbed on the rope swing to push us in. "I haven't seen you this happy since you have been here." He says. Clearly enlightened to see me adjusting. "I guess I'm just starting to find my place for the first time." I add, almost surprising myself by my words. He just adds a smile and a cocky joke about how great it must be to live with him. I shove him to the side, and laugh it off as we pull into IHOP, and my stomach gives an instant indication that I'm ready to eat. *** "Hi, how are you both? My name is Wendy and I'll be your server, what can I get for you both this afternoon?" Devin is ordering some kind of all meat plate, but I am partial to the cheesecake pancakes. She takes our menus, and I get a few drinks in of my cold orange juice. I have thoughts about bringing up a conversation, but worry over whether it will be a sore subject or not. Nevertheless, I start it up; "Devin, did you do much with mom and dad before you moved away?" His facial expression becomes stilled, and I imagine my question was a bit painful, but even still, I have questions I have wanted to ask for years. Devin was only seven when I was born. Our real parents had just had me a few weeks before, when we all got into a car crash, hit by a drunk driver. Our dad had died instantly, and our mom had lived about a month before passing away herself. They weren't the most fond of our foster parents lifestyle, but our mom knew she wouldn't make it, and wanted us to be placed with someone she knew, and someone who could financially take care of us. Devin didn't hit it off with them at all. He was a very protective brother from the beginning, and the older he got, the more they disagreed. Oddly enough, he moved out when I was seven. He was fourteen and got a legal placement with some other foster parents. None worked out, and he was finally able to leave the foster system when he turned eighteen. This was all stuff he explained in his letters as well, so I've known that he has had a hard life. I just don't think I had given it as much thought when I first moved here because I was more worried about being told what to do, then I was concerned. But now that I'm enjoying it more here I'm growing more curious. I guess in a way I never cared much, because when he left I was so angry. I know I didn't understand a lot, but I was so upset that he just left. I'm learning more now that he just left so he could do all he could to work as he got older, and get a place for us. He did say he had wanted me to live with him for a while. Maybe he really did... "Do we have to talk about this?" He asks, in full knowledge that I wouldn't take no for an answer. "I just wanna know, Devin." He lets out a sigh, and begins telling me how we lived a similar life in the beginning, but how the older I got, the more they loosened up even more, and that's when Devin became more cautious around them. He remembered love, and what family meant growing up, and how that definitely wasn't the case at our foster parents home. He felt everything was always for show, so therefore, never asked to go along much of anywhere, or be a part of as mucn because he didn't want to be used as a pawn in their social gatherings. "Alright, here is your food, and flavored syrups are there on the end of the table. Let me know if I can get anything else for you. Enjoy." As the waitress places our food at the table, Devin takes the moment to put a pause to the conversation, so I let it go for the time being, and instead, take part in indulging into the hot food awaiting to be eaten. *** I fell asleep on the ride home. Though it had been a short weekend, I needed desperately to catch up on my sleep. It's the most active I had been in a while. "Hey, wake up. We're home." Devin says, pulling up into the driveway. I drag myself out of the car and head inside and straight to my room. "Wake me when dinner is ready." I say with entangled words in a yawn. He just nods and heads to the garage to work on his old truck that he is trying to piece back together for a project. Before I know it a few hours have passed, and I already hear a knock on my door to wake up. "Go away, Devin." I say, while throwing my pillow at the door. I know I said wake me, but I didn't know I would still be tired. After a few more times of insistent knocking I go over and unlock my door. To my shock and surprise, it isn't Devin, but Destiny! "Hey girl!" She says, casually walking in and heading straight to flop up on my bed. "You're Here? You're Here! What are you doing Here? When? How?" I am completely stammering over my words. Her showing up was the last thing I expected to see. After the overall excitement, she explained that Devin had gotten up with her parents after I had told him about her, and they decided that during the summer time she could come for a visit. This was all depending on how things went with me living here, and apparently they were well enough that she got to come. I hadn't even thought about going downstairs because we were caught up in so much conversation, that time was passing even more and before long, Devin was calling us down for dinner. I smiled a smug smile towards Devin, but mouthed "thank you" before sitting down. He had his moments. I grab a piece of garlic bread before filling my plate with spaghetti. Desi and I are still venturing off in memories as we talk in between bites, and finding out what's new. "So, I'm here for a week." She says. "Any chance on taking your car out and showing me around, hitting up ice cream places like we use to?" She remembers the old me, and my parents low method of caring. so I'm a little embarrassed when I roll my eyes back at Devin as he is putting the dishes in the sink. He turns back around clearly hearing her question, while standing propped up against the sink, and towel thrown over his shoulders. Destiny and I have kept in touch, but I haven't explained everything to her. I wasn't going to go from the care free teen, to the bound and kept teen. I think Devon knows that, and like before, wanting to test my reaction. I decide against going at it with him, but rather cover that part of the conversation, and replace it with another. "Hey Desi, you ever been camping?"
[reply] [quote]

My Big Brother... Any Takers?

7 Years Ago

*Chapter One: Getting Started:* "You poor thing, I'm so Sorry! I don't know what to say, or what to do!" My friend Destiny is trying to cover her own shock of the fire by spilling out words that she means to be comforting, but are quite the opposite. I don't know if it's the shock itself, or the fact that I have had one too many beers and tequila shots that is making me emotionless and frozen cold. I don't want to be touched or talked to, I just want to be left alone. I explain to Desi (my nickname for her) that I appreciated her being there, but it was ok to leave the police station now. Part of the reason is wanting to be by myself, and the other is because her parents are staring at me behind a glass door with both grief, and disgust lingering in their eyes. They always thought I was the bad influence. psh, It was a mutal decision for her to listen to me... She gives her hugs and goodbyes and as she is walking out, a tall, dark haired, military built man with a goatee, leather jacket, and sympathetic look, enters the station and begins walking towards the police officer who is in charge of watching me. I see him glance at me with his hands on his hips, as the "nice" police guy over there quietly says something to him, while looking my direction; "Hello son, my name is Danny Miller, I'm the chief police officer at this station. We are so sorry to hear about your parents, and how you found out. Their emergency contact was a Miss Emilee Winters, and when there was no answer, we did a little extra digging to find your name as part of the family. My guys had resources from the neighbors on where to find this young lady, and unfortunately for a night like tonight, they found her drinking with some friends at a nearby house party. I know you have enough on your plate as it is, so if you'll just come with me and sign a few papers you'll both be free to go." I watched as this man looked at me before following the annoying cop I've had on my back all night, and suddenly, my gut twisted and I grabbed the nearest trash can to me, and completely emptied my stomach from the drinks, emotions, and confusion of the day so far. I got a closer look, and this time I feel mentally ill, a different kind of sick. I knew that face... "Oh crap, my brother is back." *** I never really knew my brother growing up; my parents had told me stories the few times that they were actually in my life, but it was always about how my brother disrespected them and chose to move away after my dad had offered him a position in his banking business. He came to visit a few times but I was never around much, and just remember him being a headache and arguing with my parents. He didn't want to be a part of it all because my parents were never home, and the rich lifestyle that came with it made them forget how to be parents. Not that they ever knew how to be in the first place; They adopted my brother and I when I was first born. Growing up the way we did, my brother felt it to be more for the spotlight to gain people's sympathy, and donate even more to their already lavish lifestyles. I know all this because when Devin moved out, he wrote me some letters to read as I got older. Of course, I believed my parents more than him, mainly because they gave me everything I wanted to get me to stay, and I was never punished for things. They gave light rules with little backbone. Compared to the life my brother offered me in the letters once I would come of age, I was perfectly content. I may not have had their love, but I mean, my own car once I got my permit, and friends to party with on the weekends? Why would you want anything else? *** I was sending half drunk selfies when I finally saw Devin walk out and coming my way: "Hey, Em." He said, as he began to sit on the coffee table in front of the couch. I was laying across on it while waiting for what seemed to be forever. "I know it's been a while, wow, you look so grown." (I casually rolled my eyes in my mind) "Umm, how are you holding up, do you understand what's going on? Officer Miller said you've been drinking, is that true?" *Oh my gosh, it's even worse than the letters* I thought to myself... "Yes, it's true. And duh, I understand what's going on, I'm not a child, Devin." He gave a look I wasn't use to seeing. A look of concern, care, and irritation. I watched as he kinda gave a half hearted chuckle behind an aggravated look. "Well, I can see how this is going to be already. Alright kid, let's go. Papers are signed and things are said and done, you're heading home with me" *Pop!* the sound of my gum was clearly made for the intention of a more dramatic effect. The surrounding cops looked at Devin with sympathy, but I don't think it was for my parents. "Wait, what? I'm not going anywhere with you! Just because you are my brother doesn't mean you can just show up an..." I couldn't finish the statement as my stomach decided to throw up what little sprite I had just filled myself up with, into the previous trash can I had just used. My eyes just kinda closed as my body was shutting down for the night. Devin just picked me up, nodded to the officers, and headed out the door. I believe him and I had the same thoughts by the end of the night: "And here we go..." *Chapter Two: Getting Settled:* I wake up to a throbbing headache, and complete and utter confusion as to where I am at. I see some pictures of old model cars, a chick calender, and a photo of a little 5 or 6 year old girl on a swing set. It looks like I am in the epitome of a man cave. I should know, I've been in enough guys dorms. No, nothing ever happened, just some making out. I had an image to keep up. There was a chestnut desk by a tall set of double windows. It had a laptop on it, and a filing cabinet nearby. There was some weight equipment on the floor, and I was laying on a pullout bed that I figured to be a futon couch/bed. In an attempt to gain some insight I got up and pulled my phone from my charger laying on a small end table near by, and looked at the text messages I had sent from the night before. " Oh yeah... the fire..." I sat in thought momentarily, before remembering, "and bleh, Devin" I said to myself. It's not that I didn't have sympathy over my parents, it's just I rarely saw them anyway, it's like it hadn't sunk in yet. The only "real" situation going on right now was how I get out of living, well, wherever the freak I am... *knock knock* I hear the sound at the door, and sat there awkwardly as Devin walks in with some Tylenol and juice. He throws the bottle my way and leans up against the wall near the light switch; "So... do you remember anything from last night?" He asks. I roll my eyes again, only this time, making it blatantly obvious. "I was a bit drunk, not blind or deaf, Devin. I know what happened. What are you even doing here, and where the flip am I?" I stated bluntly, with my arms laid across each other. "First, you gotta loose the attitude, kid. That won't work here." I chuckled, disagreeing. He just slowly exhaled with his hands together and fingers on his chizzled chin. "Secondly, you live here because after our, your... the fire, (he struggled to say parents) I became your legal guardian, as the only legal, and blood relative of yours. And third, you're in Colorado. A bit of a ways from Oregon." I stood up quickly at those words, as it was the only thing I was really paying attention to. "Dangit, what the heck, Devin? I don't want to live in flippen nowhere Colorado, away from all my friends with someone I barely know!" I clenched my fists in aggravation. "I'm your brother, Em, and you know me. Now, I can understand not being well acquainted after all these years, but that's not my fault. I tried. It was always them that kept you away. They barely gave me a chance." His voice was stern but calm, I could tell he is trying to watch himself, unsure of how to react, or how I'll react, so I just play it back on him... "THEM? THEY? could you be any less sympathetic??? Those may have not been your parents, seeing as how you dodged their love and support by leaving, but they were still mine, okay? And this isn't easy!" His face stilled and though I know I tugged something in him, I didn't feel it was sympathy for my feelings, but rather sympathy over the situation. Like I was missing something. I didn't care though, I may have played up my feelings a little much for someone who barely had a relationship with the people who adopted her, but I was not going to let him see that, I can tell he would use it right away to his advantage. *You brought me here, buddy* I said to myself. "Look." He said with a sigh in his tone. "Why don't you take some of that Tylenol and drink some of that juice. With as much as you drank, I imagine the size of your headache. I'm going to go downstairs and make up some breakfast. We have a lot to go over. In the meantime, you may as well unpack, because whether you like it or not, you're not going anywhere." I glared at him, and he gave a non concerned look as he turned to leave and head downstairs. I don't know how, but I will find a way to leave. This is NOT home. For now, I'll just call it getting settled. *** I get dressed putting on what little clothes I had packed in my overnight bag from the party the other night. I pulled out some light blue skinny jeans and a pink fluffy sweater shirt. Still not in a rush, I look in my side pocket of my bag, and pull out my really dark burgundy nail polish, and spend a few minutes painting my nails and going over things in my mind. "Em, you coming down, or do I need to come get you myself?" I walk down the stairs blowing on my nails to get them to dry. My expression matches my tone; "My name is Emilee, by the way, or did my "brother" forget already?" He smiled, as if I wasn't getting anywhere. "I've always called you Em. And you liked it. Everyone else who has ever met you has called you Emilee, and you liked the nickname because it was just another way of us being close, when surrounded by an uncomfortable situation. So, Em, pancakes or waffles?" He had the same cocky attitude as me. I didn't want to admit it must run in the family. The only thing I was willing to admit in my mind, was that I would have to play my normal game a little differently. Alright, game on. *** While sitting at the table, I'm taking bites of my pancakes watching him shuffle through paperwork and explain the way things were going to go. I had a trust fund, but I couldn't get into it until I turned 21, that was already a drag. He mentioned going to school and I about laughed in his face. I skipped school so many times, like he was going to get me to go. He talked about his job in the air force, some officer of some kind or another. Air force allowed him to work state side, that's another reason he got custody. Then he talked about rules and a curfew, then I really did laugh out loud. "Look, you can't just take me and start dishing out all this at once. I just went through something, okay? There's gotta be like a timeline for that or something." I scoffed under my breath. "Well, normally, under different circumstances, there could be. But considering you're halfway through the school year, and you have a lot of catching up to do, that's not as easy to work with. I'm not going to let you fail another grade." *who does he think he is??* "Look buddy, just because you have apparently done your homework, doesn't mean you have any chance at getting me to do mine." For a few minutes we sat in a dead stare. We were both giving each other looks, daring each other with the statements we had each just made. He gave a small smirk. "We'll just see about that." *dangit. I'm not worried, but this is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought.* *Chapter Three: School Zone:* The next day was Sunday, and we barely said a word to each other. We both wouldn't back down from anything we had to say, so we just stuck with basic chit chat, like "what kinds of cereal do you have?" or "when can we go shopping for female smelling shampoo and body wash?" I got my car here, finally. However, only being fifteen with just my permit won't get me very far. I need an adult, and unfortunately, he's the only current adult I knew. I decided to try for his good side. Or, make him think that anyway. Just until I got to know my surroundings, then I would take off, permit or not. The next day I got up and brushed my teeth while putting my dark, waist length hair in a high pony tail. I put on my only other pair of jeans I had with me, a black tank top, and burgundy top to match my nails. I grabbed my converse shoes from under the desk, and I even added a little makeup, for the whole full effect. I made sure I walked down more chipper than the day before. "Well, I'm honestly surprised to see you dressed and down here on your own." Devin said with a sip of his protein shake. "Yeah well, I figured if I was going to be stuck here, I may as well meet some new friends so your face doesn't have to be the only one I'm stuck here with. I said with a hinted smile. "Uh huh." He said. "I'm glad you just decided to do It my way. It's a lot easier, and you would not have wanted it the hard way." He said as he took his cereal bowl to the sink. He pulled a bag out of the fridge: "here, I packed you some lunch to take with you. I also put some money in your book bag in case you wanted to get something else, since I don't really know your tastebuds just yet." "Yu*p* I said, popping the "p" sound like I did the night at the police station with my gum, and flaunting the red shade of lipstick I had added with it. "Can you tone the makeup down some?" He asked, in a small glance. "What, you going to lay that out in your next book of house rules, volume two?" I asked, with complete sarcasm. "Nah," he said. "I'll let you have this one. Just so you can see how fair I can be." He added back. "I'm going to go start the car. You've got fifteen minutes." He said with his eyebrows raised as he walked out the door. At exactly fifteen minutes I walked out the door and got into the passenger side of the vehicle. "Cutting it close a little early on, huh?" He commented, while looking at the clock on the stereo. "Why, whatever do you mean?" I asked as if I was appalled, with my hands on my chest. "Alright then." He added, then pulled out to drive on. *** When we got to the school I was secretly surprised at how it looked. It was a lot, cleaner, than my old school. There were students going back and fourth between periods. Some sat on blankets outside, some under trees, and others just walking back and fourth from building to building. I hopped out of the car almost as if I was impatient to get out. I gave a half hearted wave, and began walking straight till he left the street. After a few minutes had passed, I walked over to the side of the building where I saw a sidewalk that looked like it headed straight into town. I started walking that way and looked over my shoulder in relief to see that Devin was still not in sight. As I turned back around I made a quick stop as I caught myself just before some curse words made their way from my mouth. "Devin! What the... heck are you doing?" I asked, as if he was the one in the wrong. "I was fifteen once too, ya know. I had a feeling this would be the morning outcome. I gave you a chance, Em. You should have taken it." This was the first time I had been this close to him. I could see his deep blue eyes. My 5"4 self couldn't really see his 6"3 or 6"4 body height till just then. "Yeah, well, you can't stop me from doing what I want." I said, as I tried to make it past him. "Bad Move" is all he said. Next thing I know, he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder like a literal sack of potatoes! "I am punching, shouting, kicking; but to no avail, his stupid military muscles have me at a complete grip. As we get closer I hide my face in his neck, mortified that all these new eyes are watching me be carried into school like a kid by my big brother! "Okay, okay! I'll go in! Just put me down, this is so embarrassing!" I said sternly, but in defeat. When he set me down I laughed it off as if we were playing around. Devin noted my plan, and went along with it, saving me from a bad first day. He held out my bag, and nonchalantly pointed his finger to the doors. The blatant stares began to die down, so I grabbed my bag from his hands, and managed to say "I hate you" between my red lips of a smile, and no guilt behind it. "That's fine. You can hate me all you want. Just do it while you're sitting in class. You have 5 minutes to get to your first one on your own, or all your new classmates will watch me carry you in I have to, in order to help you find them. I suggest you don't stall the full 5 minutes." He said, with a returned burn from this morning when I had gotten in the car in exactly fifteen minutes. "Ugh!" I stomped my foot in front of him without being too obvious to the others around me. He reached to grab my bag again, and with haste I turned around and walked forward. The last thing I wanted was being lifted on his shoulders again, that would make a great first, or, second impression... As I looked behind me, I saw him nod at who I could only assume was the principle. He literally had this all planned out. He knew my plans. "I have got to figure something else out I thought to myself, as I walked into my first class... "Welcome class. We have a new student with us today from Oregon. This is Emilee Winters. I am Mr. Chastmen. Id like you all to take some time to show her around if you see her having a tough time finding where she needs to go. Miss Winters, you can have a seat by Miss Davis, there in the back. Alright class, pull out your history books And turn with me back to..." I let his voice fade in the background as I turned to look for my seat. A pretty and pale blonde sat with her hand raised, motioning me to the seat next to hers. I gave a small smile as I set my book bag on my desk, and nodded in appreciation when the girl handed me an extra text book. "Hey there, my name is Whitney. I would be happy to show you around after class, if you want. This place can get kinda tricky." After class I began searching for the exits in the building to plot my escape. That's before I noticed Mr short, stout, "I wear a toupee" principle guy over there. He's apparently still making sure I get to my classes. Whatever. I spot Whitney in the midst of the rest of the other teens and give a smirk look back to the principle as I walk up to her, taking her up on that tour. "You've got to give it a couple weeks" Whitney says, as she notices my look in the "I spy the principle" game. "I'm sorry?" I say, looking her way. "The escape route you're trying to calculate, that's going to need to be a few weeks. Teachers and staff pay attention to the new kid for a few weeks to make sure they get settled, and well, don't run away." She says, with a grin. "For instance: just before I got to my locker this morning I saw a new, and really young looking dad talking to Mr. Hobbs, our principle. He was really cute so I stayed and listened. He was telling him about the girl he brought to school, and to keep a special eye on her cause she is kinda sassy and going through a rough time." "Ugh" I said, as she helped me with my own locker combination. "Was he wearing a military uniform? "How'd you know? Wait, is that..?" She asked in surprise. "Yes, I'm the girl they were talking about. That was my older brother." I added, with little enthusiasm. "Girl! Your brother is fine!" She added. I laughed it off. "Whitney, he's like twice your age. He is twenty-two. I'm sure young school kids aren't his thing." "Hey, I'm sixteen. Leave a girl to dream!" She plays off. I playfully nudged her side, and walked along with her. *she really isn't too bad, I like her. May as well at least make a friend while I'm here.* I said to myself in thought. *Chapter Four: Lunchroom Talk:* I take a seat next to Whitney and she begins introducing me to the others around her. "Hey guys! This is my new friend, Emilee. Today is her first day. Her super hot brother brought her to school." "Really, Whitney?" I say with a chuckle and rolling my eyes. "Ooh, the army guy I saw talking to Mr. Hobbs? Yeah girl, he is that for sure." Says an outspoken black girl, with crazy beautiful curly hair that goes down to her shoulders. She sits down with us, and Whitney begins the introduction: "Emilee, that is Cassie, she doesn't mind speaking what's on her mind. The short haired blonde sitting over there with her phone to her face is Amber, and over there with the brown hair in a bun is Jennifer. This is our group. Small, but we get around just fine." Whitney says. "So, what's your story?" Cassie blatantly states, not minding her own curiosity. "Well... I'm from Oregon and lived there up till 3 days ago. My brother and I were adopted when I was born, but my brother moved out at an early age, so I didn't really know him much. My parents... well, they died in a fire... I wasn't very close to them, but it still hurts, and I feel like I have lost a whole part of myself." The girls looked at each other in not so subtle horror for what they had just heard. I decided to quickly change directions of the conversation. "So, anyway, the police called my brother because he's technically my legal guardian, and I had to come here and live with him until I'm old enough to move out on my own. Which wouldn't be so bad, except I just turned fifteen." "That must be so comforting though, that you had your brother to come in and whisk you away from the tragedy. I would love to have an older brother!" Jeniffer says, clearly showing me she is the sensitive one. "Amber has one, but he's a geek." She states. "Hey!" Amber adds, while throwing her hands up momentarily, before going back to texting. "Yeah, well, I would rather have a geek that let me do what I wanted." I say. "I had a pretty awesome life. I just got my permit, and my parents had gotten me a car, so the past few months I've been hooking up with friends and going to parties." "That's what I'm talking about!" Amber chimes in. "I just got my car taken away, so we should take yours. I have a fake ID, so We could hit the streets without worry of you only having a permit." Whitney is looking at her and rolling her eyes. "Ambers not the best one to take advice from." She says. Amber just looks her way and sticks her tongue out. "Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could. At least, not right now. My brother is way too controlling and protective, I doubt that could happen any time soon. Jennifer looks at me with whole hearted jealousy. "Aww! You are so lucky! I have always wanted a big brother like that!" She states wishful. "Trust me, you don't." I say. "He may be my big brother, but any takers??" *** The bell rang and the first day was finally over. Though I was having a decent time with the new faces I had met, I was still overall ready to go. School is not my forte... I'm sitting on the school patio with the girls, when I see Devin pulling in. "Aww!" Jennifer throws out. "He's even coming to pick you up!" I give her a scrunched look. I tell them bye and pick up my bag and walk over to the silver Nissan Altima, that is apparently waiting for me and not leaving. "So, how was the first day?" He says, as I'm buckling my seatbelt. "It could be better if I didn't feel like I was being babysat all day. What are you even doing here? They have busses, you know." I snap. "I noticed." He says. "But, I got out of a meeting early and thought I would come pick you up and see how the first day went. Figured we could go get a milkshake or something if you were up to it." "You could take me to the airport, get me a ticket, and fly me back home. I would be up for that." I say, a little less than sarcastic. "Not happening, kid." He said as he shifted through the other vehicles. "Why do you insist on calling me That? I'm not a kid. Haven't been for a while." I glare. "No? Well, in my book, no longer being a kid comes with manners and maturity; something you clearly haven't been raised to know." He says these things with no apology behind them. My mouth just drops open, as I look at him with curiosity. "What do you even know? I mean why did you even take me anyway if I'm just going to be a pain for you?" I ask, curious back. "Em, I didn't take you. I have wanted you to come live with me since I turned eighteen, but the court system thought a married couple with money and stable jobs was a lot better than blood, and a basic apartment." *psh, I'll say...* I add under my breath. He just looked at me with his eyebrows raised. "Anyway, when what happened, happened..." He said as he looked over, searching my face for emotion. Then continuing when I didn't show much; "I got the call and was sad for the circumstances, but more than happy to take you in. I've wanted that for a while. Then, when I saw you in the police station, I was a little apprehensive at first, but when the chief pulled me into his office to talk, and told me the kind of life you have been use to, where you were, and what you had been doing, my mind was even more made up." I begin taking my headphones from my pocket and hooking them up to my phone to listen to music. "I know this may not be what you want right now, and I can understand, I came from the same life you did. But it's not what you needed. You deserve so much more than just money thrown at you, and little stability. I'm here to make sure you get it..." I just looked at him and kept my thoughts to myself, while putting back on my Rihanna station. I was beginning to enjoy having a blood relative around, and though I wasn't use to all the attention, it had it's minimum times of being nice. He was just going to have to learn that I liked my life though. Or at least parts of it. And I'm not changing who I am just for him. *Chapter Five: A Matter Of Time:* On our way home, it was the first time I had really seen the surroundings of where Devin lived. The school was of course in the city, but up the mountains some, about 30 miles out was where Devin lived. It was kind of a lonesome view for one who was use to such city life. He has only lived here for about two years, when he finally saved up enough to move out of his apartment. Out my bedroom window I could see the view of the city. It was huge, but definitely more my atmosphere than trees and grass. It didn't seem so spectacular to me, personally, but he liked the calmness away from the life he had in the beginning. Pulling into the driveway I noticed for the first time, on the side of his wrap around porch there was a hammock. *I'll have to use that sometime* I thought to myself. "Alright, I'm going to go in and take a shower. Just uh, work on any homework they gave you and when I get done I'll start dinner." He said, taking off his work boots once we entered the inside. I just nodded and waved my hand behind my head as I grabbed a granola bar from the counter, and headed upstairs. A few hours later, Devin knocked on the door and came up to tell me dinner was ready. When he walked in I had to visually see him trying to get my attention. I took my earphones out, and nodded. I put them back in when he started to walk out, and looked over to see my scattered homework. "Em, why does it look like you've barely touched this? Em... Emilee!" He said, as he walked over and took my earphones out. I just looked over in surprise. It was the first time I had heard him say Emilee since I've been here. "Oh, I'll get it later." I said, propping my feet back up against the bed. "Em some of this stuff is due tomorrow, how are you going to get all of it done by tonight?" He says, waiting for an answer. "I'll work on it some tonight but it's not that big of a deal. I've gotten plenty of C's and D's before. I just need a B in something to stay afloat." "Alright, this isn't going to work." He says, while reaching over and taking my phone. "Hey! Whoa, what are you doing?" I yell, quickly getting off the bed. "C's and D's, seriously? I knew you were falling behind, but I thought you were doing better than that. What reason do you have for getting such bad grades?" He asks, in a serious tone. "I don't know. Mom and Dad didn't care as long as I kept the B. I just got busy, okay?" My irritation began matching his. "Alright, well, I can help with that." He says more mildly. "Dinner is about to be done, you might wanna eat fast so you can get started." "What about my phone!? Hey, give me back my phone!" My yelling doesn't seem to be making a difference, so I begin stomping my way to the door, and jumping a step back when he quickly turns around. "I know you're not use to this." He starts; "But I'm also not going to let you keep going like you were before. These grades won't get you anywhere in life, what will you do to support yourself, Em?" "I've got a trust fund. I don't have to choose what you did." Apparently that was not the answer he wanted. "Seems like you need a lot more focus then I thought." He says, laying his hands on my books. "I'm taking your phone. You can get it back when this is done." "Devin! That is so unfair! Ugh, Devin!" His nerve sent me over the edge on the roller coaster of emotions. At this moment, I really missed home. I missed my parents not caring, I missed my friends. It hadn't even been a week yet, how in the world was I going to last living here till I'm eighteen??? ***Four months later*** "Hey Em; Whitney, Jennifer, Cassie" Devin says, while walking into the kitchen. "Hey there" They both say. I believe they both have a crush. Whitney, actually on Devin, And Jen, l think, just is jealous of the brother/sister relationship. Since becoming friends, I learned that Jen and I had a similar parent situation going on. Not that her parents adopted her or anything, but they had wanted no children, and her mom getting pregnant was a surprise. Like me, her parents were never around much, and often left her with a sitter. She has never had a brother or even sister to look after her, and though her parents are still alive, she doesn't see them much at all. She's even been jealous the times I have gotten in trouble. I know what its like to go unnoticed, but she really needs to walk a day in my shoes... "Hey, umm, Devin?" I say, as I feel Whitney nudging my arm underneath the table. He stops and turns my direction, while eating a bag of popcorn. "I was just going to let you know that you can choose the movie Friday night, I'm going out with Whitney, and Jen. "Alright." He says, and I'm pretty sure I've scored. "Wait, Amber isn't going anymore?" Jen just throws out there. I look at my friend with pleading eyes. "Oh, oh that's right. I mean yeah, she cancelled a few days ago. So..." I put my hands to my face. She tried, but this is exactly why Whitney and I plan stuff then tell her right before it happens... Devin looks at me with one eye arched upward. "Ah, Ambers going?" He asks in a question of sarcasm. ...Remember when I said I had gotten in trouble before? Well, it was usually from going along with one of Ambers ideas. I'm not sure how he knew where we were, but Devin found out about the time I skipped class to go with Amber, Tanner, and Luke to the lake. We lost track of time, and when we got to the shoreline of the lake hidden behind the trees of Ambers dad's property, her dad was standing there with Devin. It was the first and only time he was upset enough to ground me. Amber just got scolded. But she didn't care. Why couldn't that have been me? I've learned there are a couple of things I can kind of make my way around Devin with, but school is not one of them. He takes it way too seriously. "Yeah, well, it's going to be a small party so I'm sure she can find someone else to hang out with while I hang out with the rest of the girls." I cut my sentence short from Whitneys foot kicking my leg. (I have gained so much more internal bruising since our friendship started) I realized I had let it slip about the party. Devin looked at me with a facial expression with the highest form of "not happening" placed all over it. I could tell he was just trying to be casual while my friends were there. "No." He said, before popping a few more pieces into his mouth. They just looked at me, and pushed me on to keep trying. They had never been around when situations like this happened between him and I, and even though it usually went his way, I didn't want to look bad in front of them. "But Devin, that's not fair!" Well, I opened it. I could have left it, but I just gave Devin the green flag. "Okay ladies, Emilee won't be going with you Friday night because the last time she was going to go to a friend's house, I got called by the parents to come pick her up because Ambers brother heard them talking about the lake, and watched them skip school to go. So, I'm sorry, you can plan to come here, but she's not going to a place that I can't keep an eye on her, and even more-so, where I can't keep an eye on the boys there with her." I could have went without the embarrassment, personally, but at least I found out how Devin knew about the lake. He finished up and walked out with a very satisfied look on his face. I just scrunched my face and stuck my tongue out while he wasn't looking. "Aww, did you see how protective he-" I stopped Jen in mid sentence. "Don't even go there..." *Chapter Six: All Fun And Games.* "So, what now?" Cassie asks, "Try to do something else, or find a way to go?" I've got some thinking to do about this, and the best place to do my thinking is Dotson's pizza and arcade. I ask the girls what they think and they all nod, and agree. I was going to drive but unfortunately Cassie's older sister, Tonya, who was going to be my over twenty-one year old adult, decided last minute that she wanted to go to the movies with her own friends. Personally, I think it had to do with a certain Travis Aldridge... The bus is the only other option that doesn't involve Devin, and even still it's at least 20 miles out with us living more in the country side. Oh well, Devin it is. Once we get to the arcade I look at Devin with a pleading look before he curves his eyebrows and pulls a $20 out of his wallet, and hands it to me while playfully rolling his eyes. Even though I have a trust fund, one of the joys of being a teen is that I still can't get into it until I'm an adult, so until then, my income comes from his back pocket. He tells us he'll be doing some stuff in town for a bit before coming back to get us, so we roughly have a few hours. Whitney and Cassie go to order the pizza, while Jeniffer and I go hit the machines for some coins. They're still in line waiting to order, so Jen and I decide to get things going with a game of air hockey. We start off in an epic tie, then with a quick and continuous move she hits it in my slot 3 times, sending the buzzer and lights off for her win. I high five her efforts, and we go off in search for something else. By the time the pizza gets to our table, Jen and I have already finished 2 games of family feud, and I watched her as she got the highest score on the pinball machine. As we're munching on the pepperoni goodness, we're listening to Cassie giving us the latest gossip on when she saw Tonya and Travis kissing outside her bedroom window. Tonya is in college, so to save money she is still living with their parents, and often gets spotted by Cassie's need of curiosity to sneak up and watch her big sister. I catch a glimpse of Jeniffers soft eyes, and shy smile looking down from the other side of the arcade; A group of older teen guys at least a grade or two ahead of us, are all flirtatiously looking at our table. Jen is very innocent minded, and her lighthearted tendencies is what gave the guys the notion to try and give her attention the most. It wouldn't be so bad, except it turned from smiles across the building, to them walking up and trying to come near us. Out of the three guys, the one with the sandy blonde, skater boy haircut was beginning to get the most obnoxious once he realized we wouldn't give them the attention they wanted. The other two followed as if they were a pack, and skater boy was the leader. The arcade was kinda known as a hangout spot, and if you werent buying something the owner usually sat in a back corner watching sports, completely oblivious to what's going on, and leaving people like these guys lurking around. The two other guys began praising their friend, (who's name we learned was Brandon) into finally going overboard when he reached over and grabbed Jeniffers arm, and pulled her out of the seat, moving her around in a dance of mockery. The two others stood on both open side's of the booth, making it difficult for any of us to get out and stop it, and the arcade being too loud for the owner to hear from his sports game that something was going on. I'm watching my poor friends cheeks burn a blushing pink into her skin before I see Brandon's shirt tighten around him, and turning my face to see Devin standing there. Brandon quickly lets go and tries to plead his way into Devin letting go, trying to play it off as all fun and games. I stood up quickly and went close to Jen to see if she was alright, so I didn't get a chance to hear what Devin was actually telling them, but all I know is that Brandon gave a scoffed look when Devin finally did let him go, and looked around as if his image had just been blown to the other regulars attending the arcade. Devin assured Jeniffer that they were just a bunch of high school punks, and that they weren't going to bother her again, and if they did, that she was more than welcome to let him know, and he would take care of it. I thought she was going to fall out of her chair. She had a grin completely covering her face, and I knew that she had just had her first "big brother" moment that she had pictured for so long. *It was sweet of Devin to do that, although I suspect Jen will now find herself in those situations a lot more often.* I smiled and thought to myself. *** Once we got home from dropping off my friends, I felt the need to actually let Devin know that I was appreciative of him doing that for Jen. I gave him a simple side of her upbringing, to help him understand that it meant a lot to her. "Of course." He goes on to say: "I will be forever glad to keep teenage boys off of you, and your friends." How did this turn into something about Me? The one time I actually go to say thanks for someone else, and he brings it back around to me. "I don't need help with that." I add, with not as much appreciation. "Well, I'll still be around whether you want me to be or not." He says this with his shoulders and hands raised in a cocky, big brother kind of way. I roll my eyes, and head to the kitchen to find myself a snack, since I didn't get to finish my pizza. I walk back in the living room and sit on the couch with Devin, watching some old twilight zone episode. He reaches over for a handful of my popcorn, and I reluctantly hand him the bag. "So." He states, in a momentary pause. " You haven't been seeing any guys, right? I mean, it only been a few months, so I hope you aren't, but I still want to check in. Especially after seeing those perverts around tonight." *And here we go, big brother, act two." "No, Devin. I'm not. And even if I was, I wouldn't be telling you. I'm old enough to make that decision myself, and if I want to date, I will." I say, quite convinced at my efforts. "You can think that all you want, but if you're not telling me the truth, and I find out otherwise and that anything is going on between you and said boy, just know he's not the only one I'm going to be coming to." I grab my popcorn bag from his hands and promptly get up to head to my room. I look back at him and glare from the staircase, waiting for him to take it back, and when he doesn't, stomp the last 3 steps to my room and shut the door. Laying back on my bed I'm stilled in wondering thought; *am I eighteen yet?* *Chapter Seven: Flashbacks & Fish:* Well, here it is, July 1rst. Last full month of summer. I have enjoyed myself with my friends so far. Although, last week at the arcade was pretty unexpected. Still, since then Jen has been on it to find another damsel in distress moment. I'm waiting anxiously for Devin to get back from work so I can talk to him about going camping with Whitney and her parents this weekend, and twelve year old brother, Jared. I would definitely say she is my best friend of all here. If it weren't for her I probably would have had plenty of miserable days. Devin finally gets home and I explain my weekend plans. He has already met Olivia and Chase, Whitney's parents, so he agrees with little questioning. Every year her family drives further up in the mountains during the summer time to go camping. They do it old school, with real tents and campfires, and fishing in the lake. I've always wanted to go, but my parents were always too busy to go. I remember the first time they ever said yes, and it was the last time I had ever asked... ***Flash back. 10 years old.*** "Hey mom!?" I called out, while searching around the house looking for her. I finally found her in the first place I probably should have looked, her home office. "In here, darling" She called back, and I instantly knew I had about 10 minutes till her next phone call because whenever she talks so elegantly, she is preparing to make counter offers to the other bankers, and flirt her way into a better income. "Hey, I was just wondering, you know that camping trip I have been asking about for a while now? Well, it's the last month of summer, and if we don't go, another year will pass, and you promised." I look in plea. "Oh dear, we forgot again. The business is just taking off so well right now, and there is too many meetings to compromise... I'll tell you what though, your father and I need to go out of town this weekend, and I can find out what camp grounds are nearby. I'll take my laptop, and can do my work from there." She says. I'm so excited. Finally we are going on the trip that has been promised to me for the last 3 years. I get our driver to take me to get all the things I need to be able to really have a good time. Finally Saturday arrives and we pull into a camp ground that has a few other campers and RVs. It doesn't seem to look much like a campsite, but then again, never going camping before I don't really know what to expect. I look around and see some families setting up their sites, campers and grills. Some families have kids, others are just older couples, probably on some anniversary trip. A few hours after getting settled I grab my barbie fishing pole and take it to my dad. "Ready to go?" I ask him, Feeling pretty confident with my pink rain boots, and matching sun hat. I saw some teenagers in a canoe already fishing, and wanted to go before they caught all the fish. "Emily, ladies don't go fishing. You can play in your costume, but your mother and I have already decided on a nice restaurant around the corner." He says. I pause with much sadness. I was ready to go, and had been looking forward to this for a while now. Oh well, maybe when we get back we can still roast smores at least. When we do get back, my dad hands me a bag of marshmallows from the mini mart here at the camp grounds. There is no fire, no stick. Just a few marshmallows and a pack of raisins. And the afternoon bike ride the next day? Well, I didn't even ask about it when I came back inside from playing at the local play ground, and found them both on their computers and phones. I waved, but they both shushed me and pointed back outside. On the way home I was quiet. They asked me if I enjoyed my first camping trip, but before I even got a chance to answer, they were already asking each other questions. I learned after that not to ask to go camping again. *** I shake my head at the old memories, and try to make myself clear my thoughts by getting ready for the trip. I pack my bag, and put on my converse shoes, and grab a few final things before looking out the window and seeing Whitney's parents pathfinder. Oddly enough, there is a canoe strapped to the top. I head downstairs and catch Devin on the couch watching a game. I tell him bye, and give a light roll of the eyes when he follows me out to see her parents, and yells "behave" for anyone to hear. On the way there, Whitney, her brother and myself are continuing our 5th round of uno. Jared is definitely the competitive type. He seems to be a typical younger brother, and if it wasn't for his friend Jaxson, meeting us there, I would probably get annoyed by him before too long. But he's alright for a few hours. This campsite, isn't a campsite at all. There is trees, a gorgeous river, no mini marts or other campers. It's just a peaceful place with nature as our only neighbor. The smell was absolutely refreshing, and I got pretty excited when Jared, Jaxson and Mr. Chase head into the woods to get firewood while it's still daylight. I help Whitney set up our tent, and all through it we are laughing and keeping conversation as if we were made to do this every weekend. By the time we are finished getting everything ready, Mr. Chase is building the fire. He's passing out smore sticks, and whitney, knowing my background winks while passing me the marshmallows. There is so much more in store for tomorrow, and I cannot wait. I spend the night truly sleeping under the stars for the first time. "Star light, star bright, Good night" *Chapter Eight: Peaceful Surrenity:* I wake up to a cool breeze hitting our tent in the early morning. I am satisfied staying in the warm comfort of my sleeping bag, but suddenly get the urge to wake Whitney up and go outside when I smell the sweet scent of a campfire breakfast. After unzipping the tent and laying a soft blanket over the log we were sitting on last night, I walk over to Mrs. Olivia, and look down to see all the best cooking supplies she brings with them on trips. It's like dishes you would normally find in your kitchen, but more travel like. Her flat cast iron stove is surrounded with pancakes, sausage and eggs. She also has a couple kettles. One with hot tea for the cool of the morning, and the other with water for anyone who wants a nice warm bowl of oatmeal. It doesn't take long before the boys are unzipping their tent, and walking out with anxious stomachs themselves. "Where is Daddy?" Whitney asks her mom, while looking around their tent and not seeing him. "He's already over by the river." She says in her southern accent, born and raised in Alabama before the military brought her Mr. Chase, and they moved here. "He's been over there for a good 45 minutes if one of y'all want to walk over there and tell him breakfast is almost ready." "I will!" I say, Anxious to walk over and see what he's doing with the canoe. As I step a little behind the trees I see him sitting there, finishing up a little further inspection on the canoe's. We have 2 because Jaxsons dad brought his with him when he dropped Jaxson off for the weekend, so we could do some water activities together. "Morning, Mr. Chase. Your wife says to hurry and come get breakfast while it's still warm." "Haha, yeah, she's probably saying that because the boys just woke up, and they are probably about to devour the bacon like hungry bears." He says, with a smile. I smile back. "Well, is there anything I can help you with? I ask, in complete interest. I'm not sure what it was, but over the short time of getting to know her family, I had grown a very strong liking to her parents, but especially her dad. He treated me like I've been a part of the family the whole time. Last night, he was telling scary stories at the fire, and it completely worked for him because he's about 6"4, and naturally bigger built, with mainly all muscle from his military days. He has short dark black hair, but it's kinda scruffy, with a similar looking beard to match. He would remind you of an old mountain man, but as gentle and kind as can be. "Sure honey, you can grab me that tackle box over there if you'd like." He says, not minding the company. I'm admiring his craftsmanship as he takes his bait out, and shows me several different ones he has made from fly fishing. "Now later tonight, if you'd like, you can help me use these guys to catch some fish for dinner. Olivia comes from a southern background, and I'll tell you, she can cook some fish." He says with a chuckle. Soon he sets everything down, and gets up as we both walk back over to the fire, where we all enjoy a great breakfast. *** Dishes are cleaned up and put away, and I'm anxious to go on the trail they have told me all about since we first met. Apparently, it's through a really pretty part of the woods, but at the end there is a separate pool of water from a small waterfall. They say because it's up in the mountains, it's one of the most clear water spots you'll find. We put our swimsuits on underneath our clothes, and Jaxson and Jared are both following alongside each other, holding a cooler full of drinks. The trail is beautiful, and so kept up. It's like someone comes here just to keep it looking nice, but Miss Olivia says it's a natural trail, so there isn't much keeping up to really do to it, therefore it pretty much stays like this year around. There is only a few sticks and benches we have to move or pick up to get through. When we reach the end I am absolutely amazed by the view. It's like a painting that someone famous drew, just missing the double rainbow across the sky. The water is just as clear as they said, and it absolutely glistens. Now I know why this was made their camping spot, and why they come back every year. There is a hand made rope swing on one of the big trees near the water, and a small pathway up the waterfall to canon ball into the water. They have been coming so long, that none of them worry over the rickety walkway up, but I take my chances with the rope swing instead. Even their parents got in the water, and soon everyone was splashing and having a good time. The boys continued up the waterfall, while Whitney took a break and laid out with a cold drink to cool off with. I sat swaying back and fourth on the swing, while my eyes caught the attention of Mr. And Mrs. Davis just about dancing in the water. They are obviously in love. I sat for a few minutes longer, beginning to wonder what it could have been like to see my parents that way. I always thought they were in love, but it must have been a different kind of love, because it's nothing like the way Chase and Olivia show their feelings. They are always doing something for each other, and trying to make each other smile. They fuss a little, but never truly argue. Miss Olivia keeps her blonde hair put up most of the time, and because she does, Mr. Chase likes to casually embarrass her with flattery so her cheeks will turn red, and make him smile. They are perfect relationship goals for 22 years of marriage. My thoughts don't keep me much longer before I hear Jared yell right before jumping onto the rope swing himself, causing us both to fall into the water, and get everyone's attention enough to laugh. I get out and head to land to grab my towel and dry my face off. I pick up my phone and see a text from Devin: *Hey kiddo, just checking in. Hope you're having a good time. Let me know soon, k? Enjoy yourself... but not too much.* I smile to myself. There is times I don't mind his concern. Never having it before makes me feel more like his family, and not someone he uses for display to show others how good of a job he is doing. Just genuine care. I send a quick text back and jump back in the water for a bit more. *** Once we are all a bit more dried off, it's time to fish and catch our meal. After the required life vests are secured tightly, Jaxson and Jared hit the water in their canoe, and Mr. Chase, Whitney and I get in the other. Miss Olivia stayed behind to get things ready for dinner. Now normally you would use a fishing boat to catch fish, but they liked to use canoe's so they could boat across the minor water rapids for some fun before actually having to stay still for a while to catch the fish. We had a blast doing that. There was such a rush to the feeling of being on a boat ride with streaming water that didn't involve being at a water park. The scene was surreal and the peace was undeniably nice. Once we started actually fishing I was so excited to get some bites that I stood up and almost tipped us all over the boat! Luckily Mr. Chase had good control over the canoe, though when the fish hit the bottom and started flopping around next to me, I'm not so sure he could control his laughter the same way. When we got back to the site, her parents began cleaning and cooking the fish, while we all spread out on our sleeping bags and played a few rounds of uno. We were all more than hungry, and tired of Jared winning, when Miss Olivia announced food was ready. The food smelled great, and Mr. Chase smiled my way when he caught me just looking around at the family next to me. I enjoyed every minute so far. I sat laughing with them about the day we had all had while eating the delicious food Miss Olivia had cooked for us. Back in the tent, Whitney and I enjoyed some private time together before the night was completely up. We would leave tomorrow afternoon and I was not ready for it. This was the best vacation I had ever had. I wondered if Devin had ever been here. Tomorrow was another day back to reality, but I enjoyed the time away while I had it. I'm already looking forward to next year! *Chapter Nine: Extra Company:* "Boys" Miss Olivia calls out. "You need to stop running around and help us get stuff together to go. Jaxson, your dad will be here in about 20 minutes. Jared, help your father tie the ropes over the canoe." We're getting things ready to go, and I catch myself multiple times in a fogged stare of this beautiful place, not feeling ready to leave. I had a wonderful time, and in just a few days learned so much about what it's like to be around a loving, and functional family. I have thought a lot about my parents growing up, and it became clear that when the fire hit, there was more understanding as to why I was in more shock, then heartache. It does sound bad, I know, and not that I'm pleased over what happened, but to take something good out of something bad, I can just clearly see how my life has changed. I feel like I can offer myself so much more then I ever did. I enjoy the small things now, like camping trips and sleepovers, rather than parties and getting tipsy, or more. I have a want to figure out who I am, rather than be someone for someone else. No, this crazy profound moment of in-depth thought didn't just come from a camping trip, but rather just reflecting on the past couple months, and learning quickly that I am growing attached. Jaxsons dad pulls up, and Mr. Chase helps them tie off their canoe as well. We all say our goodbyes and hit the road to head home. I've already let Devin know that we are headed home, and he asks me about grabbing dinner later and telling him about the trip. I'm actually excited about telling him. "Thank you so much for inviting me, Whitney!" I say as I embrace her into a full hug. "I had such a good time, and your family is just awesome. I hope you know how lucky you are." Whitney just laughs it off, but I mean what I say as I wave to her and her family, thanking them again for the wonderful time! Devin steps out of the house and nods a "thanks" in their direction. He asks if I want to wait to go to dinner later, or if I wanted to grab lunch now. Amongst all the gathering and cleaning today, I realize I hadn't eaten since this morning, and decide lunch sounds terrific. On our way into town I don't think I stop talking for a minute. Devin is just smiling at my good times, and laughing that Jared had climbed on the rope swing to push us in. "I haven't seen you this happy since you have been here." He says. Clearly enlightened to see me adjusting. "I guess I'm just starting to find my place for the first time." I add, almost surprising myself by my words. He just adds a smile and a cocky joke about how great it must be to live with him. I shove him to the side, and laugh it off as we pull into IHOP, and my stomach gives an instant indication that I'm ready to eat. *** "Hi, how are you both? My name is Wendy and I'll be your server, what can I get for you both this afternoon?" Devin is ordering some kind of all meat plate, but I am partial to the cheesecake pancakes. She takes our menus, and I get a few drinks in of my cold orange juice. I have thoughts about bringing up a conversation, but worry over whether it will be a sore subject or not. Nevertheless, I start it up; "Devin, did you do much with mom and dad before you moved away?" His facial expression becomes stilled, and I imagine my question was a bit painful, but even still, I have questions I have wanted to ask for years. Devin was only seven when I was born. Our real parents had just had me a few weeks before, when we all got into a car crash, hit by a drunk driver. Our dad had died instantly, and our mom had lived about a month before passing away herself. They weren't the most fond of our foster parents lifestyle, but our mom knew she wouldn't make it, and wanted us to be placed with someone she knew, and someone who could financially take care of us. Devin didn't hit it off with them at all. He was a very protective brother from the beginning, and the older he got, the more they disagreed. Oddly enough, he moved out when I was seven. He was fourteen and got a legal placement with some other foster parents. None worked out, and he was finally able to leave the foster system when he turned eighteen. This was all stuff he explained in his letters as well, so I've known that he has had a hard life. I just don't think I had given it as much thought when I first moved here because I was more worried about being told what to do, then I was concerned. But now that I'm enjoying it more here I'm growing more curious. I guess in a way I never cared much, because when he left I was so angry. I know I didn't understand a lot, but I was so upset that he just left. I'm learning more now that he just left so he could do all he could to work as he got older, and get a place for us. He did say he had wanted me to live with him for a while. Maybe he really did... "Do we have to talk about this?" He asks, in full knowledge that I wouldn't take no for an answer. "I just wanna know, Devin." He lets out a sigh, and begins telling me how we lived a similar life in the beginning, but how the older I got, the more they loosened up even more, and that's when Devin became more cautious around them. He remembered love, and what family meant growing up, and how that definitely wasn't the case at our foster parents home. He felt everything was always for show, so therefore, never asked to go along much of anywhere, or be a part of as mucn because he didn't want to be used as a pawn in their social gatherings. "Alright, here is your food, and flavored syrups are there on the end of the table. Let me know if I can get anything else for you. Enjoy." As the waitress places our food at the table, Devin takes the moment to put a pause to the conversation, so I let it go for the time being, and instead, take part in indulging into the hot food awaiting to be eaten. *** I fell asleep on the ride home. Though it had been a short weekend, I needed desperately to catch up on my sleep. It's the most active I had been in a while. "Hey, wake up. We're home." Devin says, pulling up into the driveway. I drag myself out of the car and head inside and straight to my room. "Wake me when dinner is ready." I say with entangled words in a yawn. He just nods and heads to the garage to work on his old truck that he is trying to piece back together for a project. Before I know it a few hours have passed, and I already hear a knock on my door to wake up. "Go away, Devin." I say, while throwing my pillow at the door. I know I said wake me, but I didn't know I would still be tired. After a few more times of insistent knocking I go over and unlock my door. To my shock and surprise, it isn't Devin, but Destiny! "Hey girl!" She says, casually walking in and heading straight to flop up on my bed. "You're Here? You're Here! What are you doing Here? When? How?" I am completely stammering over my words. Her showing up was the last thing I expected to see. After the overall excitement, she explained that Devin had gotten up with her parents after I had told him about her, and they decided that during the summer time she could come for a visit. This was all depending on how things went with me living here, and apparently they were well enough that she got to come. I hadn't even thought about going downstairs because we were caught up in so much conversation, that time was passing even more and before long, Devin was calling us down for dinner. I smiled a smug smile towards Devin, but mouthed "thank you" before sitting down. He had his moments. I grab a piece of garlic bread before filling my plate with spaghetti. Desi and I are still venturing off in memories as we talk in between bites, and finding out what's new. "So, I'm here for a week." She says. "Any chance on taking your car out and showing me around, hitting up ice cream places like we use to?" She remembers the old me, and my parents low method of caring. so I'm a little embarrassed when I roll my eyes back at Devin as he is putting the dishes in the sink. He turns back around clearly hearing her question, while standing propped up against the sink, and towel thrown over his shoulders. Destiny and I have kept in touch, but I haven't explained everything to her. I wasn't going to go from the care free teen, to the bound and kept teen. I think Devon knows that, and like before, wanting to test my reaction. I decide against going at it with him, but rather cover that part of the conversation, and replace it with another. "Hey Desi, you ever been camping?"